Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung Syncmaster 225BW

Originally posted by mecoos777 View Post
    Bravo, Gentlemen! Thanks to your expertise and posts, I just saved myself $200! Did exactly as you said, but only to the two 820 microfarad capacitors since those seemed to be the bulging ones. Bought the other capacitors for later in case those cause trouble later down the line.
    They will almost certainly cause trouble down the line, and if you had REALLY followed what has been posted in this forum more times than you've had hot dinners, you would have replaced them all at the get-go instead of deferring some.

It's great feeling to fix a monitor, but it can get soured when it fails shortly after. There's an old motto: Do it once, do it right. For monitors I reverse that - do it right, do it ONCE.
    Friends don't let friends buy Samsung ....

Comment

Originally posted by pedro View Post
      They will almost certainly cause trouble down the line, and if you had REALLY followed what has been posted in this forum more times than you've had hot dinners, you would have replaced them all at the get-go instead of deferring some.

It's great feeling to fix a monitor, but it can get soured when it fails shortly after. There's an old motto: Do it once, do it right. For monitors I reverse that - do it right, do it ONCE.
      Very true - on both points.

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Just a quick note to thank all the members on research of cap part numbers for repair of a 225BW. After receiving my order from Digi-Key, I replaced ALL of the electrolytic caps and the monitor is working like a champ! Even resolved the old G5 MAC not going into sleep mode!

Comment

I am in the process of replacing those capacitors and when i was taking the monitor apart i broke one of the wires that connects the function buttons on the front bezel to the rest of the unit (might be known as the power button board cable). Does anyone know where i can find a replacement cable for this?

Comment

I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to say thank you to all those who contributed to it. My 225bw is now working flawlessly thanks to this thread!

You guys are awesome!

Thanks again

Comment

I also want to thank you! I had the same problems as described. My 225bw is now working flawlessly thanks to this thread!

Started blinking at random times, until restarted.
              Then one day it went gray. Then it wouldn't start.

I changed
              2 * 820uF 25V
              3 * 330uF 25V
              1 * 47uF 50V
              1 * 150uF 450V

No problems yet, works fine!

Comment

First: It can't be said enough... thanks PlainBill, clearly a LOT of hours spent in this thread and others.

I'm the proud owner of 5 Samsung 225BW monitors and I've replaced the caps on 2 of them (my first repair was 2 years ago).

Recently a monitor I replaced caps in 2 years ago began to buzz and flicker then turn off. It is a loud buzz and the flickering was sporadic (not an even flicker). Eventually the backlight would turn off. After letting it 'rest' I could turn it back on and it would work for a little bit then exhibit the same symptoms.

I just popped it open and don't see any issues with the (good quality, low ESR, Digikey) caps I replaced. The massive cap still *appears* fine on the outside. Just a note, the power board is Rev 0.1 (from 2006).

It's very hard to tell where the buzz is coming from on the power board but my ear was drawn to the yellow Carli MPX box capacitor (directly behind the power plug) although this doesn't make any sense.

Before I tear open one of my good monitors to start swapping out parts, I'm curious if there are any other known issues with components on this power board? (The buzz definitely comes from this board) Is it the transformer that would most logically be making the buzzing sound?

Thanks in advance!
                Last edited by Konesky; 12-30-2011, 11:45 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Originally posted by Konesky View Post
                  First: It can't be said enough... thanks PlainBill, clearly a LOT of hours spent in this thread and others.

I'm the proud owner of 5 Samsung 225BW monitors and I've replaced the caps on 2 of them (my first repair was 2 years ago).

Recently a monitor I replaced caps in 2 years ago began to buzz and flicker then turn off. It is a loud buzz and the flickering was sporadic (not an even flicker). Eventually the backlight would turn off. After letting it 'rest' I could turn it back on and it would work for a little bit then exhibit the same symptoms.

I just popped it open and don't see any issues with the (good quality, low ESR, Digikey) caps I replaced. The massive cap still *appears* fine on the outside. Just a note, the power board is Rev 0.1 (from 2006).

It's very hard to tell where the buzz is coming from on the power board but my ear was drawn to the yellow Carli MPX box capacitor (directly behind the power plug) although this doesn't make any sense.

Before I tear open one of my good monitors to start swapping out parts, I'm curious if there are any other known issues with components on this power board? (The buzz definitely comes from this board) Is it the transformer that would most logically be making the buzzing sound?

Thanks in advance!
                  Five 225BW monitors?? Two more and you're ready for 'Swordfish'. Tell Ms Berry I'd like to borrow the car keys.

There are two possible causes of the problem.

The monitor is at the age when aging CCFLs are a definite possibility. However, the flickering is not a symptom of 'Two seconds to black' caused by aging CCFLs.

There have also been reports of the large cap causing this problem on Samsung monitors.

I'd say it depends on which you would rather do - swap power supply / inverters between monitors or replace a fairly expensive cap?

PlainBill
                  Last edited by PlainBill; 12-31-2011, 07:00 AM.
                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

My Samsung 225BW monitor has been suffering the same symptoms as many people who have posted before me.

Initially, the monitor would only power on completely after "warming up" for 30 minutes or so. Then, after a while, the "warm-up" period stopped doing anything. If you turn the device "on," the picture flashes for less than a second, then turns back off. The blue "on" button continuously illuminated.

I decided to open the computer up, and analyze the circuitry. Upon first view, the 6 capacitors (C301, C302, C110, C111, C112, and C107) seemed fine. Regardless, I have removed them and ordered replacements.

What I noticed though, was a white-ish ooze out of the green and blue disc-like capacitors at C104, TH101, and C117. I now realize that I am an idiot, and that this ooze is normally supposed to be there, but I have already removed them from the circuit-board and damaged TH101 upon extraction.

TH101, the green disc-like capacitor, needs to be replaced (because I'm an idiot and thought it was oozing). It looks like the only identification marks on it are "SCK 084"

And, I will probably need to replace these two as well:

Does anyone have any idea what type of replacements I will need for these 3 capacitors? I searched the thread, and apparently I'm the only idiot who mistaked the white goop for a blown component...

Thanks in advance!!

Comment

TH101 is an NTC thermistor:

The other two are 1000pF and 1500pF "safety approved" ceramic capacitors. Those look OK.

Comment

Originally posted by b700029 View Post
                        TH101 is an NTC thermistor:

The other two are 1000pF and 1500pF "safety approved" ceramic capacitors. Those look OK.
                        Great, thank you very much!!

I went onto digi-key, and am having trouble locating the correct item. I'm a huge n00b when it comes to this kind of stuff..

Can I trouble you to possibly send a link to the correct part?

Thank you guys so much! Really appreciate it!

Comment

8 ohms, 4 A. I think this should be OK:

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/705...72-008d13.html

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                            Five 225BW monitors?? Two more and you're ready for 'Swordfish'. Tell Ms Berry I'd like to borrow the car keys.

There are two possible causes of the problem.

The monitor is at the age when aging CCFLs are a definite possibility. However, the flickering is not a symptom of 'Two seconds to black' caused by aging CCFLs.

There have also been reports of the large cap causing this problem on Samsung monitors.

I'd say it depends on which you would rather do - swap power supply / inverters between monitors or replace a fairly expensive cap?

PlainBill
                            Hey Bill,

Thanks for the quick reply. Swordfish... haha I was disappointed Travolta did that flick, I liked it but it seemed a bit cheesy. That said, he followed it up later with Be Cool and other blockbusters like Wildhogs *puke*. I'll send a pic of the setup if you like, pretty decent!

I was poking around on Ebay and found a complete new power board (Rev 0.2) for $22.99 (shipping INCLUDED) out of Hong Kong. Having bought items from China previously via E-bay, I can say I've had great luck with super fast shipping all things considered.

The last step was to verify it was indeed something on the power board causing the issue and not the CCFL's as you mentioned. I knew the buzzing came from the power board so I suspected that was the issue.

Well I finally got off my lazy butt, pulled apart a perfectly functioning monitor and temporarily plopped in the *verified to be working* board and the malfunctioning monitor worked find.

Long story short, no clue which individual component has failed but it's definitely on the power board and I've got the replacement coming for approximately the same price as what Digi-key charges me in shipping to cross the border (Canada) for a couple of measly caps. Of course it is a bit nuts that they send a shoe-box sized package for half a dozen caps.

Perhaps more testing is required to identify the culprit for personal curiosity and the benefit of the group.

Thanks again for your suggestions as always!

By the way, my previous praise for Bill and all of the help he has provided also goes for several others on this thread/board who are perpetually lurking and persistently helping DIY'ers like myself! *Hats Off*

-Konesky

Comment

Originally posted by b700029 View Post
                              8 ohms, 4 A. I think this should be OK:

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/705...72-008d13.html
                              Thanks for that.

The only problem, is that this part is on backorder until late february.

I just went to 2 electronic specialty stores in the area and apparently this part is difficult to get my hands on.

Is there any other website that might have this part in stock? Thank you so much, I reallllllly appreciate your help and generosity.

Comment

Originally posted by Konesky View Post
                                H

I was poking around on Ebay and found a complete new power board (Rev 0.2) for $22.99 (shipping INCLUDED) out of Hong Kong. Having bought items from China previously via E-bay, I can say I've had great luck with super fast shipping all things considered.

-Konesky
                                Do you mind including the link to the new board? (assuming the seller had more than 1 in stock).

Comment

Originally posted by Looper View Post
                                  Do you mind including the link to the new board? (assuming the seller had more than 1 in stock).
                                  Sure,

To find current listings, search for the board part number:
                                  "IP-45130A"
                                  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=....c0.m270.l1313

As a note, make sure you look at all of the listings... often the same seller will list the same item multiple times with different prices and different shipping terms. The one I purchased was $22.99 shipping included, the same seller also had the same board listed in a different auction for $26.00 shipped. Hold out for the free shipping ones!

Here are some listings:

Closed:
                                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/180772672452...ht_1224wt_1396
                                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/220907446874...ht_1326wt_1396
                                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/320807465628...ht_2250wt_1396

Current:
                                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/350517055332...ht_1514wt_1396
                                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/180778359948...ht_1216wt_1396

Hope that helps!

-Konesky

Comment

Great thread here, just joined. Looking for some quick advice regarding my 225.

I had similar flickering and flash of screen at power up, and a very very dim image that was impossible to see except for in the correct lighting. It appeared to 'warm up' and then would go black. I disassembled it, and couldn't tell if the caps were bad. I took some photos, but am new to this so couldn't tell. Would it be best for me to buy a whole new power board from eBay for $26-28?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by chez71 View Post
                                      Would it be best for me to buy a whole new power board from eBay for $26-28?
                                      Hey Chez,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Some of your caps look bad to me from the pictures but it's hard to tell. In the last picture, the ones in the bottom left look bad.

What you're looking for is for the end of the capacitor to be bulging out a little or even for a brownish (in this case) fluid to be leaking out. It should be noted that even if a capacitor does not exhibit external signs of failure, that doesn't mean it hasn't.

It's cheaper to order parts from digikey and install them yourself however if you don't have a soldiering iron laying around and you're not completely comfortable replacing them, it may make more sense to order the replacement board off of E-bay and save yourself the trouble.

Here are some examples to help guide you:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-...Bad-Capacitor/

http://www.stevenjohal.com/lcd-scree...wer-no-signal/

These caps are good:

Hope that helps, GL!

-Konesky

Comment

I just replaced all 5 of the caps on my 225bw with parts from digikey
                                        2-820
                                        2-680
                                        1-330

The monitor used to have the standard flash of the desktop and then blank. That issue is now resolved....however the picture is very very dark...any ideas before I it

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by nmjwolf View Post
                                          I just replaced all 5 of the caps on my 225bw with parts from digikey
                                          2-820
                                          2-680
                                          1-330

The monitor used to have the standard flash of the desktop and then blank. That issue is now resolved....however the picture is very very dark...any ideas before I it

Thanks!
                                          Hi, Knowing nothing about you have to ask can you post a picture of your board - front & back and list the full details of the new caps. Have you put them in the right way round?.
                                          As you say V V dark can you post a picture showing how dark?

Can you turn up the brightness - can you see the menu?
                                          Does it flash white then go dark?
                                          Have you plugged the screen back into the inverter?
                                          Last edited by selldoor; 01-07-2012, 11:34 AM. Reason: add
                                          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Working...
                                          X