Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung 2053BW

Hi Badcaps readers,

A couple of years ago, I put some new capacitors in a Samsung 2053BW monitor, and after it was up and running, I gave it to a friend who lives in Dubai.

Yesterday, something happened and the display now looks as shown in the attached photo. Does anyone recognize this symptom?

It is hard for me to troubleshoot as I am in the US and the monitor is in Dubai, but this is what I know: the monitor is connected to a circa 2008 Macbook via an eBay purchased (from China) mini-DVI output and transforms it into DVI. An eBay link for a similar one is listed below so you have an idea as to what kind of adapter I used. Personally, I suspect the adapter. It was very cheap.

I asked my friend to unplug the DVI cable from the monitor, and the 'No Signal' box moves as expected and there is no sign of problem.

All suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-DVI-DVI...item27e3bc5711
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LAS; 05-09-2014, 11:41 AM. Reason: Provided more info on the mini-DVI to DVI adapter.

Re: Samsung 2053BW

Probably the adapter.
    Never use an adapter except as a last resort !!
    Have him try another computer first

Comment

Hi bammbammfram,

I see no other way other than an adapter to connect this monitor with a choice of vga and dvi inputs to a Macbook with a mini-DVI port. Maybe an official Apple adapter is a better idea?

Comment

It would be best to first try that monitor on a standard full dvi or vga plug to make sure that the monitor is still ok
        then if it is ok, then you can try to get an original apple adapter instead of a possible cheap aftermarket or knockoff (some times it does not pay to go the cheap route)
        I personally stay away from adapters because I have lost a couple screens to bad ones.
        Most of these type adapters have small circuit boards and microchips tucked into those plugs. that is where the issues occur.

I have used dvi and hdmi to minidisplay port but I have not tried minidisplay to dvi

Comment

Working...
        X