This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screwed onto the board. Thoughts?

Hardware Details - Samsung LC24FG70FQWXXL (C24FG70) Monitor with the board model (BN91-18169A) perhaps aka (BN41-02548A)

While wall mounting, I mistakenly picked a screw 0.5cm too big than the clearance and damaged the trace and one of the part (a capacitor, I think) on the board. Images attached.

Is this repairable or will I just have to get the entire board replaced? Please guide about this.

• Answer selected by moheat at 05-15-2024, 02:59 AM.

You need to figure out what that broken component was or get a donor, as there is only half of it hanging in there. As for the traces, yes, the length matters as RJ already mentioned. But I don't think they are beyond repair in your case.
    As for a proper person or shop to do the repair, you need someone that does repair on a component SMD level, not a board changer. So a good microscope is key.

I have to admit, been there and done the exact same thing. Used the wrong length screws and they went right into the main board, just like yours.
    Last edited by CapLeaker; 05-11-2024, 08:47 PM.

Comment

The damaged component is Q602, it is a transistor,Looks like G702K (2N7002) likely the same number that is on Q601, good luck repairing the cut traces. Might be easier replacing the board
      Last edited by R_J; 05-08-2024, 08:40 PM.

Comment

How difficult should repairing the traces be for an expert, in terms of object-level difficulty?

Replacing the board via Samsung is going to be around 80% of the cost of the monitor so not so sure about that.

Comment

Originally posted by moheat View Post

Replacing the board via Samsung is going to be around 80% of the cost of the monitor so not so sure about that.
          Why should you buy from Samsung, you can find donors (with broken screens) at a low price, search by motherboard number...

https://www.tvparts.co.uk/lcd-tv-spa...lc24fg70fquxen

Comment

I would try replacing the transistor first. If you have component level experience repairing things via soldering and a good soldering station with low heat and a very sharp tip you should be able to replace that transistor. Buy 5 or so, they are cheap and if you screw up one or one goes flying off into space you can still do the repair. After that try it again and see what the screen looks like, you may not have damaged the traces.

Val

Comment

That shouldn't take long to fix for a pro. Probably it takes you longer to put the monitor back together and mount it.

Comment

The problem with repairing the traces is getting the trace length correct or it will likely affect the timing of the data to the ram chips, simply soldering wires in place of the traces may not work.
                The broken traces to the ram chips are likely causing the problem with the video.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                  The problem with repairing the traces is getting the trace length correct or it will likely affect the timing of the data to the ram chips, simply soldering wires in place of the traces may not work.
                  The broken traces to the ram chips are likely causing the problem with the video.
                  Appreciate your response R_J

I know a pro who repairs Laptop motherboards. Do you think that skill would transfer to repairing a monitor PCB? Do you have any recommendation on what I should tell him specifically about the trace repair?

Comment

You need to figure out what that broken component was or get a donor, as there is only half of it hanging in there. As for the traces, yes, the length matters as RJ already mentioned. But I don't think they are beyond repair in your case.
                    As for a proper person or shop to do the repair, you need someone that does repair on a component SMD level, not a board changer. So a good microscope is key.

I have to admit, been there and done the exact same thing. Used the wrong length screws and they went right into the main board, just like yours.
                    Last edited by CapLeaker; 05-11-2024, 08:47 PM.

Comment

The transistor looks very easy to fix. For those broken traces i would scrape the solder resist off each side of a break, tin the broken ends, then using a single strand from fine multi-stranded wire bridge the gap. Its easier if you have some 16/0.2mm wire, strip it back then cut 15 strands off and then cut the wire off the reel so that you have a couple of cm of insulation to hold while you solder the single remaining strand on. For the curvy parts where it would be tedious to bridge all the gaps you could try to follow the contour of the broken traces but i think that will be impossible, so just fit the same length - somehow. The difficulty is preventing the first end falling off while you're soldering the 2nd end.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                        The damaged component is Q602, it is a transistor,Looks like G702K (2N7002) likely the same number that is on Q601, good luck repairing the cut traces. Might be easier replacing the board
                        May I ask what would be the knowledge and mechanical requirements to be able to proceed with the trace repair?

Comment

Working...
                        X