Dell 3008wfp faulty power supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell 3008wfp faulty power supply

A few days back i turned on my Dell 3008wfp monitor and i got this nice image. I kept it on for like an hour and the image didn't change.

After reading most of the threads here all the issues point out that the capacitors/condisators are broken/weak.
    But i cannot find any broken capacitors/condisators on the board or in the power supply. I have taken a few photo's.

What i do notice is that the signal input board has strange brown stuff on the back.

Do you guys have any idea whats wrong and how i can fix this?

Comment

So I got the new tcon board from Buyqual. Although it was 6870C-0183E instead of 6870C-0183D and is not entirely compatible with the display I managed to revive the lower part of the dispay by pressing on the lowest ribbon. It seems that the tcon board is faulty and I just need to find a correct replacement.

I attached a couple of pics of the current situation. The first image represents the situation before I applied pressure on the ribbon. The second pic shows the horizontal displacement of the image caused by the incompatible tcon board. The black bars are due to the image source.

By the way, Gurty's images are quite similar to the partial image distortion I got with original tcon board. Maybe that's due to the tcon board failure as well?
      Attached Files

Comment

Quick question: is it preferable to use leaded or lead free solder when doing this?

Thanks, fuus

Comment

Originally posted by fuus View Post
          Quick question: is it preferable to use leaded or lead free solder when doing this?

Thanks, fuus
          Leaded. Definitely. Some of the problems I have encountered are cracked joints due to lead free solder.

Comment

Lmao, I just finished putting it back together after soldering it all with lead free solder :/ It didn't work and I could hear a 'supersonic' sound, i.e. very high pitch. Is this the caps warming up or another problem? I will be taking it apart again tomorrow to get it soldered up with leaded!

TL;DR screen still doesn't work

Comment

Hi Fuus - ive forgotten what the original problem was - I will try and read it up tomorrow. Thought you were just doing the standard shottky replacement? re the noise have you checked the items you have replaced are the right way round? - Check against
              the pictures of the other posters.
              Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

You are correct selldoor; I have been attempting the standard shotkky replacement. After its first replacement the monitor functioned for approximately 60 seconds, then died again. Since them I have re-desoldered the board to check that the diode was functioning correctly (using a multimeter). I am now going to attempt re-soldering again with leaded solder as LJ thought lead free solder can be a problem. I am frustrated

Comment

For those who live in South America ( Argentina tested ) MUR3040PT do the job
                  Its a 30A 400 volt . It have diferent form . You have to make some handmake work.
                  It is working 7 days whitout assembly totally the plastic part.
                  As most 30A heat up , I will update if it burn

Comment

Gurty, I had the brown residue on my logic board, too. I don't know if it's excess flux from the manufacturing process, heat damage to the board, or what. But it didn't seem to affect the function of my display, so I didn't try to do anything about it.

My repaired monitor is still going strong!

Aaron

Comment

More of a generic 3008WFP question, as the one I just got in from our CAD guy is not totally black/dead. (yet)

If you switch it on it in the morning it is fine, but showing a full screen flickering after being powered on and displaying an image for 1h+.

Observations:
                      - Top back bezel is warm to the point that it's unpleasent to touch.
                      - Issue only appears if on for an extended time (1h+).
                      - Blowing compressed canned air in the small air vents left and right of the connection area the issue is gone for about 10-15 minutes. (mains/usb connector)

So currently it's rather a thermic issue than a failed semiconductor?

Comment

Hi new to the forum.
                        I have never taken a monitor apart before.
                        I need to resolve this problem on my 3008WFP, so I am going to take it slowly and ask questions as I proceed.
                        Please be patient with me if my questions seem obvious or basic. I have read all the thread as well as other posts, but it can for a newbie like myself be a bit confusing.

The first thing I need to do is open the monitor.
                        In the pic attached it seems there are two parts that could open the monitor

I assume it is A? Would appreciate confirmation of this.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I'd suggest reading the whole thread, then you would have found: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...874#post235874

Comment

Originally posted by embalse View Post
                            Hi new to the forum.
                            I have never taken a monitor apart before.
                            I need to resolve this problem on my 3008WFP, so I am going to take it slowly and ask questions as I proceed.
                            Please be patient with me if my questions seem obvious or basic. I have read all the thread as well as other posts, but it can for a newbie like myself be a bit confusing.

The first thing I need to do is open the monitor.
                            In the pic attached it seems there are two parts that could open the monitor

I assume it is A? Would appreciate confirmation of this.
                            There's a 2-part disassembly video on YouTube that should help you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Z8-eYknmc

Comment

Originally posted by koaschten View Post
                              More of a generic 3008WFP question, as the one I just got in from our CAD guy is not totally black/dead. (yet)

If you switch it on it in the morning it is fine, but showing a full screen flickering after being powered on and displaying an image for 1h+.

Observations:
                              - Top back bezel is warm to the point that it's unpleasent to touch.
                              - Issue only appears if on for an extended time (1h+).
                              - Blowing compressed canned air in the small air vents left and right of the connection area the issue is gone for about 10-15 minutes. (mains/usb connector)

So currently it's rather a thermic issue than a failed semiconductor?
                              Try taking it apart and heating up various parts of each board with a hair dryer to accelerate the shutdown process. It should help you isolate which board is causing the problem.

Comment

@koaschten - I suggest you take it apart and see if you can pinpoint what is overheating.

It could be a cold joint, a faulty component , aging ccfls or the wiring to them.

We can help a lot more if you please post good clear pictures of the whole chassis, and then pictures of each board, front and back and close up of connectors, (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) using the manage attachments button, which is found by clicking "go advanced" under quick reply.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

Examples of what is needed
                                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1290283049

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1280167246

It will be useful if you can say a bit about yourself - skills tools etc.
                                Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

I need to get the ok by my supervisor first, it's clear that it's out of warranty by now (purchased 2008) but it's not clear if he will give me the ok to try and fix it on "business time" or if we just buy a 2711 as replacement. I probably will try and get it to tinker at home with it, because it would be a pity to trash it.

About me, I majored in Computer Science, have basic EE knowledge and know which end of a soldering iron is the hot one.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                                    There's a 2-part disassembly video on YouTube that should help you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Z8-eYknmc
                                    Thanks for the link. I had already seen the video, just was not sure if it was useful for the 3008, as the video is for the 3007. Will use it as a guide.

Comment

Hi everyone,

Like you all i seem to have the same issue with my 3008WFP, at first i thought it was an expensive paper weight until i found this thread... however after getting my hopes up for repairing the screen i discovered that the replacement part is obsolete, STPS30170CT.

My skills consist of being able to solder and that is about it, so i really don't know what i am looking for other than the part number, is anyone able to point me in the right direction of the current replacement to a STPS30170CT.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Squeed View Post
                                        Hi everyone,

Like you all i seem to have the same issue with my 3008WFP, at first i thought it was an expensive paper weight until i found this thread... however after getting my hopes up for repairing the screen i discovered that the replacement part is obsolete, STPS30170CT.

My skills consist of being able to solder and that is about it, so i really don't know what i am looking for other than the part number, is anyone able to point me in the right direction of the current replacement to a STPS30170CT.

Thanks in advance.
                                        I suggest you read the thread? Yes the STPS30170CT is obsolete -most people try the STPS40170CT -with some success.

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                                          I suggest you read the thread? Yes the STPS30170CT is obsolete -most people try the STPS40170CT -with some success.
                                          Sorry, must have missed that part . Thanks for that.

Comment

Working...
                                          X