Asus VW222U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus VW222U

Ok - This screen wont turn on at all. I'm going to replace the caps but first I want to try to see if there is something else that have failed.

I did test the rectifier bridge so power is ok at that point.

Do you think that the 1203p60 chip is dead ?
    I did test the mosfet that the 1203p60 controls and it seems to be ok.
    Attached Files

Re: Asus VW222U

Funny to see that one lone Chemicon cap amongst all those Elite caps. You don't need to replace the large 450V cap as that seldom goes bad. As for the 1203d6, try measuring the VCC volage at pin 6. Also, does the power light turn on at all? Do you get any initial flash of light on the screen when push the power button?

Comment

I added new solder to the main and secondary transformer legs and it now actually works without a glitch so far - will do some more testing before I order new caps.

I read an post in Asus forums claiming this screen has an earth loop problem.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...age=1&count=19

1.open monitor (will void warrenty)
      2.unplug all the the cables going to the power supply and dvi port assembly, undo two screws pull down and out you wil now be looking behind the dvi port and be holding a metal module that contails power supply and dvi- and vga port.

3.you will notice a piece of brass foil joining the earths on your dvi and vga cable this is the problem creating an "earth loop" as both vga and dvi ports are earthed to the metal casing this extra earth is causing the problem introducing noise.

3.carefully unwrap the brass foil from the two cables and seperate, insualte cables with electrical tape. (wrap around each one seperately they should now be indiivdual cables)

4.you will notice a silver spring type peice of metal on the assembly that pushes against the
      main body of the unit when re-assembled. scratch the metal with a screwdriver where this peice pushes so you get a good connection when you reassemble it, do not touch as finger grease could screw up the connection. (this step is not vital just a good thing to do why your in there to make sure the the unit is properly earthed)

4.re-assemble
      Is this considered a smart move or should I skip it ?
      Attached Files

Comment

hi guys.

I have a VW222s, has the exact same board in it.

Mine does not have the same fault. Mine turns on for about 4 seconds, then it tuns off. it does not look like the backlight has gone off and it is just very dark, there does not seem to be anything at all on the screen.

I repair laptops for a living and often have to replace DC jacks or usb ports, i have also replaced a few popped caps on monitors to get them working again.

On my vW222s I can not see any obviously popped caps. I'm no expert on this kind of thing. Can the caps be popped if they look ok ? Also, does replacing the caps normally fix this kind of problem ? I dont have all the meters and other electronics gadgetry. I have a soldering iron ;-) I have seen it mentioned that the big cap should be ok, are there any specific caps i could try replacing first ? ie, the most likely culprits ?

Any help would be much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Tyronmatthews View Post
          hi guys.

I have a VW222s, has the exact same board in it.

Mine does not have the same fault. Mine turns on for about 4 seconds, then it tuns off. it does not look like the backlight has gone off and it is just very dark, there does not seem to be anything at all on the screen.

I repair laptops for a living and often have to replace DC jacks or usb ports, i have also replaced a few popped caps on monitors to get them working again.

On my vW222s I can not see any obviously popped caps. I'm no expert on this kind of thing. Can the caps be popped if they look ok ? Also, does replacing the caps normally fix this kind of problem ? I dont have all the meters and other electronics gadgetry. I have a soldering iron ;-) I have seen it mentioned that the big cap should be ok, are there any specific caps i could try replacing first ? ie, the most likely culprits ?

Any help would be much appreciated
          You are going to have to be a lot more specific. What do you mean by "turns on for about 4 seconds, then it tuns off."? What turns off? Does the power LED turn off, does the display disappear? Also, explain " it does not look like the backlight has gone off and it is just very dark, there does not seem to be anything at all on the screen". At any time could you see your desktop?

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'm almost at work, will make a more detailed entry when I'm bCk home.

Thanks again

Comment

hi,
              I have made a video using my phone. i took it sideways by mistake, but you can still see what is going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qt67ssrW3s

can this be a caps issue ? all of the caps seem to look fine, could they be faulty even if they dont show the usual popped up bit on the top ?

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks !

Comment

1) What you describe is "2 seconds to black". See

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419

starting with post #13 and #14.

2) Read all the way through, but you should concentrate on the areas

a) bad caps
                b) bad inverter transformer
                c) bad ccfl and/or wiring

3) You will need a multimeter to do some of these tests.

We can guide you through, but we need to start clear focused pictures uploaded using the manage attachments function and not posted inline.

In the URL below, see misc suggestion #1 to see what composition we would like.
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by Tyronmatthews View Post
                  hi,
                  I have made a video using my phone. i took it sideways by mistake, but you can still see what is going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qt67ssrW3s

can this be a caps issue ? all of the caps seem to look fine, could they be faulty even if they dont show the usual popped up bit on the top ?

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks !
                  Amazing video.

Classic example of 'Two seconds to black'.

The most likely cause is defective caps.

The next most likely cause is a bad CCFL or a wiring problem (broken wire, break in the insulation, etc.)

#3 is a bad inverter transformer.

It is also possible there is a bad component in the protection circuitry.

PlainBill
                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

thanks for the replies !
                    So fasT !

retiredcaps, am i correct in thinking that there is no way to test caps while in place ? is the best way to test them, just to replace them ? this may be a silly question, sorry if it is.

Also, I have had a nasty jolt from a screen before. would it be bad practice to connect a cable to the earth prong of a wall socket and run the exposed end along the board before work ? I was thinking this may ground the board and components before working with it and hopefully avoiding a surprise shock. I'm not sure if this can blow other components on the board.

thanks again for the help !

Comment

Hi guys, I have the same monitor with the same problem as Tyronmatthews.
                      Did you find a solution for this problem?
                      My measurements showed that the voltage at pin 6 on 1203P60 is 9.48 Volts, and should be, as far as I know, between 16 and 20V.
                      It is the only thing I noticed, everything else is good at measuring.
                      Caps are also in good condition, I even changed them to make sure of that.

Comment

Originally posted by BAD85 View Post
                        My measurements showed that the voltage at pin 6 on 1203P60 is 9.48 Volts, and should be, as far as I know, between 16 and 20V.
                        When you changed the caps, what brand/series of caps did you use?

And when you say "everything else is good at measuring", what do you mean by that?

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                          When you changed the caps, what brand/series of caps did you use?

And when you say "everything else is good at measuring", what do you mean by that?
                          Brand is not important in this case, because the capacitors are used only for the test. They are new.
                          The device has to start with a new capacitor, whatever brand it was.
                          Brend is Teapo, Chieftec use them.
                          By "everything else is good at measuring" I thought that all components in the primary area are good. And I believe that the defect is in the primary section, not in the secondary. I just can't find it.
                          Thanks for your reply...any ideas?
                          Last edited by BAD85; 10-26-2011, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Do you have the same problem as Tyronmatthews, or don't you? The 1203P60 is the SMPS controller. If you have 'Two Seconds to Black', the problem is NOT the SMPS controller, it is the inverter or associated components.

Also, I just checked the datasheet and the voltage you measure is acceptable for a running 1203P60; the MAXIMUM allowed voltage at pin 6 is 16 volts.

PlainBill

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
                              When I fix it, I'll let you know what exactly was the problem.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
                                When I fix it, I'll let you know what exactly was the problem.
                                I'll be waiting with bated breath.

PlainBill

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                                  Funny to see that one lone Chemicon cap amongst all those Elite caps. You don't need to replace the large 450V cap as that seldom goes bad. As for the 1203d6, try measuring the VCC volage at pin 6. Also, does the power light turn on at all? Do you get any initial flash of light on the screen when push the power button?
                                  hey my vw222s is not got any power getting to it either... I know this thread is old but found it on google.. been helpful so far. I have checked my fuse that's fine... there is a distinctive black mark on the back of the circuit board below one of the transformers?? it is the black box looking thing with 6 prongs on one side and 2 on the other T801 T802, ive tested the 6 posts and readings go like this on both transformers... 1-2 n/a 1-3 0.3 1-4 0.3 1-5 n/a 1-6 0.3 same as the other one as well as any other combination pins 2 and 5 dont give a reading

I tried sending some pictures through to add on here but cant seem to sort it out right now

ive just pulled one of the transformers off and i really not sure what im looking for but the board is discolored underneath it as well....

how did yours work out gabriel?
                                  Last edited by james_69r; 03-16-2012, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by james_69r View Post
                                    I tried sending some pictures through to add on here but cant seem to sort it out right now
                                    Follow my sig file instructions in post #8 EXACTLY.
                                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by james_69r View Post
                                      hey my vw222s is not got any power getting to it either...
                                      ive just pulled one of the transformers off and i really not sure what im looking for but the board is discolored underneath it as well....

how did yours work out gabriel?
                                      is your board also a 4h. 09c02. a01?? this board or one like it is available on ebay for about $20 + postage. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261161067...84.m1436.l2649

i have a vw222u and my board is also discoloured under t801 and t802. does anyone now if this is ok or are the transformers stuffed? on my board T801 and t802 also have small bulges on them.

are t801 and t802 part of the inverters??

my screen died recently, i smelt a funny electrical smell and 5 mins later my screen was dead. also there is a residue around some of the components. u can see it in my pics. is this caused by bad caps??
                                      Attached Files

Comment

T801 and T801 are the inverter transformers. Power off - meter on ohms2000
                                        test across the secondary windings on both. (probably the 2 pins? on the end
                                        Not on the end with 6 pins)
                                        We could do with good clear pictures of the bottom of your board and one of the full top.
                                        There is also a small yellow fuse fp???? can you find and test it?
                                        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Working...
                                        X