Can't seem to open Acer AL2416W case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can't seem to open Acer AL2416W case

I'm using a Fluke digital DMM so there are no range settings. After I test one pin I need to turn the monitor off and wait about 30 seconds or the backlights won't come on for those short two seconds. I don't understand that either. I will continue the test when my assistant returns tomorrow...Thanks for the help so far

Comment

Just adding a link to a schematic for an inverter using an OZ9925GN inverter controller.

Sorry it's not the same inverter you have, but at least now we know the pinout.

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Sorry..... I had to delay this repair because of some more important work....but I will be back at it tomorrow

Comment

As long as it's open, you might want to think about replacing at least the four caps in the first bank anyways: C34, C35, C36, and C38.

I'm still a noob, but of the two AL2416W's I've taken apart, those 4 caps were popped on both monitors. I used Panasonic FC's (meant to use FM's), but a word of caution: the ones I used are slightly taller and wider. Instead of 4 inline, I staggered them. Not quite as good as new, but I can live with it.

Comment

I just got one of these monitors in, the power LED would come on to recognize a signal from the computer, But I could see no flash of the backlights and I was unable to see an image with a flash light.
            Opening the monitor I noticed no problems with any of the capacitors, all the fuses on the inverter tested good, and I had 24 some volts going to the inverter. I was able to identify the 3.2V Back light on siginal,and it was making its way down to pin 15 of the OZ9925gn inverter controller.
            This monitor uses a different type of CCFL connector than any I had available, I had some good CCFLs out of a 22” monitor, and by changing connectors I was able to substitute 2 CCFLs at a time. Each time I substituted CCFLs I noticed that all of the transformers were able to light the CCFLs briefly.
            After reading the 2 threads on this monitor I tried replacing the 35V 100UF caps on the inverter, and this fixed the problem.
            Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Originally posted by alexanna View Post
              After reading the 2 threads on this monitor I tried replacing the 35V 100UF caps on the inverter, and this fixed the problem.
              alexanna: you replaced the 100uf 35V caps with what brand/series? It would seem most of the aftermarket caps are a little larger in diameter than the originals. Did you have any trouble getting the new ones to fit properly next to each other?

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                alexanna: you replaced the 100uf 35V caps with what brand/series? It would seem most of the aftermarket caps are a little larger in diameter than the originals. Did you have any trouble getting the new ones to fit properly next to each other?
                I used a 50v 100uf Nichicon PW series, they were approximately 8mm x 10mm, they were installed at about a 45 Deg. Angle to the board.
                I had to modify the cover for the inverter; cut out part of it over the capacitors, and fashion a shield from some spare parts I had to cover the cut out area, and secured everything with a little JB Weld.
                Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

One of the reasons I wanted to present this in the forum is the fact I could not see any indication of a flash of the back lights, and not being able to see anything on the screen with a flash light. But it was clearly lighting my test CCFLs.
                  I am wondering in a case like this if we should suggest checking the BL on signal pretty early in the diagnosis?

Comment

Member Maxxarcade just posted a youtube video on how to fix this monitor. See

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm0AJ65TGOI
                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                    X