Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 second to black on xerox XM3-22wB I need help please

Hello all

I have a problem with a xerox XM3-22wB it started about 4 weeks ago with the screen turning to black after 30mins and then down to 2 seconds..i can still see the screen using a flash light..
    I have replaced most of the caps on the power board from rubycon to panasonic and nicicon

4 x 680uF-25v 105 nicicon
    2 x 470uF-25v 105 nicicon
    3 x 220uF-25v 105 panasonic
    1 x 10uF-50v 105 CD287 LESR suntan?

The org caps didnt show any signs of blown or leakage

After completing the re-caping i assembled and tested and the problem still remains.

i have inspected all the soldering and all seems well as you have probably noticed I am no expert in this feild, i would just would like to fix it and understand what's what..

I have also set my dmm to Continuity and found that the marked surface resistors are short I think that is the word for it EG all other surface resistors i get a reading, but on the 5 marked with red arrows there is no Continuity?

I would appreciate any help on this as after reading alot of posts on this fault i cannot figure it out

I am a novice though but have lots of spare time

I can upload better images if required Thank you

Art
    Attached Files

Re: 2 second to black on xerox XM3-22wB I need help please

Have a look at the thread....KDS Business K Series K22mdwb not turn on ...think you will see it is the same board as yours,and may help you !!!

Comment

Originally posted by hoppalong View Post
      I have a problem with a xerox XM3-22wB it started about 4 weeks ago with the screen turning to black after 30mins and then down to 2 seconds..i can still see the screen using a flash light..

I have also set my dmm to Continuity and found that the marked surface resistors are short I think that is the word for it EG all other surface resistors i get a reading, but on the 5 marked with red arrows there is no Continuity?

I can upload better images if required Thank you
      Contunity tests beep "good" if the ohms is less than 35 ohms (depending on the multimeter). Resistors come in different values (ohms). A resistor marked 103 is 10 (3 zeros) or 10,000 ohms (10K).

There is no way that contunity will beep good for a 10K resistor. So put your multimeter on ohms and check the resistor code to its stated value.

The pics you posted are out of focus. To get the best pics, take your boards to a window on a sunny day, turn off flash and put your camera on macro mode. See my pics as an example of what clear focused means.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1280167246

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...6&d=1280167246

What are the transistors on the back of the board? They are hot enough to put some discoloration on the front on of the board? What is the markings or part number?
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by Rtech View Post
        Have a look at the thread....KDS Business K Series K22mdwb not turn on ...think you will see it is the same board as yours,and may help you !!!
        Thank you will do

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
          Contunity tests beep "good" if the ohms is less than 35 ohms (depending on the multimeter). Resistors come in different values (ohms). A resistor marked 103 is 10 (3 zeros) or 10,000 ohms (10K).

There is no way that contunity will beep good for a 10K resistor. So put your multimeter on ohms and check the resistor code to its stated value.

The pics you posted are out of focus. To get the best pics, take your boards to a window on a sunny day, turn off flash and put your camera on macro mode. See my pics as an example of what clear focused means.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1280167246

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...6&d=1280167246

What are the transistors on the back of the board? They are hot enough to put some discoloration on the front on of the board? What is the markings or part number?
          Thank you for the reply..

Regarding Pictures I will make a better job of it
          I will get on to it straight away. Well tomorrow now as its almost dark here in England.I can give you the transistor info will be back soon

Thank you again

Art

Comment

Hmm, this is interesting. The 30 min down to 2 sec could be that one or more of CCFLs is slowly dying.

How old is this monitor (it should have a manufacture date on the back)? In addition, if you are the original owner, how much do you use it a day? How many hours a day?
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hmm, this is interesting. The 30 min down to 2 sec could be that one or more of CCFLs is slowly dying.

How old is this monitor (it should have a manufacture date on the back)? In addition, if you are the original owner, how much do you use it a day? How many hours a day?
              I have owned this from new I bought it in March 2007 with a 3 year warrantee
              Actually it was a long time dying I would leave my pc running for 20-24 hrs a day and when going to bed turn off monitor. This model also has two VGA input's and I hooked up 2 machines to it, a laptop and a pc.I then would switch between machines using the switch designed for this.

The details are
              January 2007. manufacture date on back plastic cover

printed on power board is:

MO32p5071247515
              200-000-170dtlbmh.ver:a
              mirage electronics co ltd UK
              29 sept 2006

First off I noticed it would go black and a turn off/on would correct it this was about a week or two before the 2 second on then off..

The time varied over the period of the two weeks eg from 24hrs to 6hrs to 2hrs and so on down to the state it is now. I noticed first off a pale pink hue and programmed a pixel check and white showed as white no pink tint so I thought it was just a glitch but fearing the worst or it might just clear itself.

What parts are the transistors so I can get the no's Please I know your a busy man as i have been reading forum posts for a while and I am grateful for your help

Art
              Last edited by hoppalong; 08-25-2010, 11:25 AM. Reason: purchase date

Comment

I noticed first off a pale pink hue and programmed a pixel check and white showed as white no pink tint so I thought it was just a glitch but fearing the worst or it might just clear itself.
                A pink hue is usually a sign that one or more of your CCFLs are dying.

You can try and carefully take apart the CCFL and inspect them for signs of death. See

http://s807.photobucket.com/albums/y...klight%20lamp/

Note pic 3. See how one is pink and the other is white? As CCFL age (from use) they draw more power. As they draw more and more power, the inverter IC chip senses something wrong and shuts down the backlights to protect the LCD.

Replacement CCFLs depending on the size are around $8 USD I believe.
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

If you search for "pink ccfl", you will find about 20+ hits. Here is one that talks about in a bit of detail

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ight=pink+ccfl
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

A pink hue is usually a sign that one or more of your CCFLs are dying.

You can try and carefully take apart the CCFL and inspect them for signs of death. See

http://s807.photobucket.com/albums/y...klight%20lamp/

Note pic 3. See how one is pink and the other is white? As CCFL age (from use) they draw more power. As they draw more and more power, the inverter IC chip senses something wrong and shuts down the backlights to protect the LCD.

Replacement CCFLs depending on the size are around $8 USD I believe.
                    Thank you

I was a touch reluctant to open up the screen part. I will look at the link and have a go

I will report back later

Art

Comment

I was a touch reluctant to open up the screen part. I will look at the link and have a go
                      If you have another monitor of similar size (dead or alive), you can try step #5 as per

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419

to narrow down which CCFL or CCFLs are dying.

If you are hestiant about removing the ccfl, do a search on youtube to see if there is a video on how to do it.

There is one here for a laptop, but not a desktop LCD

http://ccflwarehouse.com/tutorials.html

Note that the desktop LCD will be dramatically different.

Here is another one.

http://www.ccfldirect.com/lcdtutorial.html
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hello again

Thanks very much for that link I am learning lots

hoppalong

Art

Comment

If you have another monitor of similar size (dead or alive), you can try step #5 as per

If you are hestiant about removing the ccfl, do a search on youtube to see if there is a video on how to do it.

Here is another one.

Hello

I have managed to separate the (1mm gauge steel ) angled outer frame from the screen sandwich revealing the glass 3mm and that's about as far as will go tonight, My bed is calling me..I suppose its about teatime 4pm on the other side of the pond.So I will have a fresh mind in the morning and more daylight

I will have a look on utube meanwhile to take more of it in.

Once again, many thanks

hoppalong

Art

Comment

Here is another one.

Hello

I have managed to get to the CCFL's.. It's not to difficult a job, You just need patience and a bit of common sense.oh! and advice BTW!.. I also take pictures of each stage just in case I have a amnesia episode or have to put the job off for a while (my wife calls it a Senior moment) don't you just love them..A title for everything..now where's my glasses ha!

I will upload the images for the ccfl's and you can advise me if there duff?
                            I have not taken them out of the frames yet as I am just about to source the replacements if they are duff (useless)

I am wondering what I could test them with? I have connected a pp3 9v to the leads and nothing I suppose they work on 12v but I am not sure?

I do have some ccfl tubes here with invertors that I used to sell on fleabay for pc modding?, would that work? meaning the right voltage.
                            I am off to source some ccfl's but always online

Art
                            Attached Files

Comment

You can be sure they have all 'had it'.Most Monitor CCFL's work from 800volts plus(but low current),and this is achieved,in the main, by the Output transformers.So you cannot test them with your 12volts.Fitting indidvidual new bulbs,is long and tedious,and they break so easily,and I have done quite bit with Monitors,but draw the line with that job.

Comment

I am wondering what I could test them with? I have connected a pp3 9v to the leads and nothing I suppose they work on 12v but I am not sure?
                                I test them by using them in another monitor. I'll just take one of them (in their housing) and hookup the connectors to a known working LCD monitor. If that tube works for 60 seconds, then I move on to the next.

Be VERY Careful. This is very high voltage. See #5
                                at

--- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

You can be sure they have all 'had it'.Most Monitor CCFL's work from 800volts plus(but low current),and this is achieved,in the main, by the Output transformers.So you cannot test them with your 12volts.Fitting indidvidual new bulbs,is long and tedious,and they break so easily,and I have done quite bit with Monitors,but draw the line with that job.
                                  Hello Rtech
                                  I can see the pitfalls of this sort of repair, I have OCD which makes me want to carry through what I have started.. It's either all or nothing..I understand what you mean about the tedium, Then to me I tend to thrive on it, Just to get it right or in my younger days I would kick it all up in the air and walk away ha!

I cant do that now? (Tongue in cheek) on the other hand I have purchased a new LG W2243S 22" LCD MONITOR, FULL HD, 5MS £89 jobby from fleabay so I can still operate my lifestyle so I am not to desperate to fix it..

Saying that I went to a site in the uk www.backlightweb,uk they have loads of 2mm ccfl's but not the length I need which is 4 x 2.0 or 2.2 x 475mm their prices for some similar is £9.40 + for 2 so its going to cost about £25.00 for the 4 and with the caps etc it will get close to half the new price..

I will re-solder the transistors and put it all back together as I think that 1 of the transistors is overheating

However it keeps be busy

Art

Comment

I am wondering what I could test them with?
                                    Here are instructions written from a different point of view.

Take a known good working LCD. Assume it has 4 CCFL connections. Number them 1, 2, 3, 4.

Take cover off known good working LCD and lay it face down on soft surface. You should be able to access the CCFL connectors.

Remove CCFL connector #1 from the good LCD monitor.
                                    Plug in cable for potentially bad CCFL #1 into connector #1 for test.
                                    Plug LCD into power bar and turn on power bar. Now power on LCD. See if 2 seconds to black occurs.
                                    Turn off power bar, unplug LCD power cord. Wait 1 minute.

Repeat same instructions as above for each potentially bad CCFL.

If these instructions don't make sense, don't try it.
                                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I test them by using them in another monitor. I'll just take one of them (in their housing) and hookup the connectors to a known working LCD monitor. If that tube works for 60 seconds, then I move on to the next.

Be VERY Careful. This is very high voltage. See #5
                                      at

Hello retiredcaps

As I said to Rtech,I have a new monitor here,the same size 22". I also have a few lcd screens, all working. Would a 17" ilyana be okay to check it on?

I have read that post on #5 and understand the safety rules! regarding the HV

Are all CCFL's the same re-voltage? meaning would it hurt to hook up a 480mm ccfl to a 17" screen or is that irrelevant

I Need to read up more on this

Art

Comment

Here are instructions written from a different point of view.

Take a known good working LCD. Assume it has 4 CCFL connections. Number them 1, 2, 3, 4.

Take cover off known good working LCD and lay it face down on soft surface. You should be able to access the CCFL connectors.

Remove CCFL connector #1 from the good LCD monitor.
                                        Plug in cable for potentially bad CCFL #1 into connector #1 for test.
                                        Plug LCD into power bar and turn on power bar. Now power on LCD. See if 2 seconds to black occurs.
                                        Turn off power bar, unplug LCD power cord. Wait 1 minute.

Repeat same instructions as above for each potentially bad CCFL.

If these instructions don't make sense, don't try it.
                                        Hello

Those Instruction's make perfect sense and I understand completely

I shall get on with it and let you know the result

Thanks

Art

Comment

Working...
                                        X