Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are these resistors supposed to be shifted like this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these resistors supposed to be shifted like this?

I am working on a Sony HT-CT60 soundbar. It came to me not working. When I try to turn it on the lights come on for a second then it turns off. I found two of the electrolytic caps had bulging tops so I removed them. The others ones nearby tested good.

My question is these SMD resistors. Four of them are sitting at an angle with one end connected to the neighboring cap. It looks to me like something I might expect to see if they had been moved by a hot air gun blowing on them, but AFAIK nobody has tried to repair this before.

Could this be intentional and by design or should I shift them back over onto their pads?

Attached Files

Re: Are these resistors supposed to be shifted like this?

It's a manufacturing/design issue, during reflow the solder pulls parts around.
    If the pads don't have soldermask between them, like in your pictures, and the pads are connected with a pcb trace, there is a strip now making a big long pad.
    Sony likely missed some soldermask between the pads in pcb design or loaded up too much paste. Usually tombstones happen as well.
    I would just leave them alone, there is no short if the pads are connected and they look like this.

Comment

Re: Are these resistors supposed to be shifted like this?

Thanks, I'll just replace the caps and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
      X