Harman/Kardon Onyx Bluetooth Speaker - No Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harman/Kardon Onyx Bluetooth Speaker - No Power

I wonder if the Bluetooth module needs to see 4.5v at the charge pin regardless if the speaker has its own charge circuit? Maybe that's how it controls the power leds?

Comment

ISTM that we need to determine how the BM153/BM150 module connects to the circuit.

According to Sunitec's BM153 datasheet ...

Code:
      PIN NAME   TYPE          FUNCTION
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      13 VDD   Power         +3.3V Supply

14 VDD_USB Power         Positive supply for UART/USB ports, Connect to VDD

32 VDD_BAT Battery terminal +ve  Lithium ion/polymer battery positive terminal. 
                        Battery charger output and input to switch-mode regulator

34 VDD_CHG Charger input     Lithium ion/polymer battery charger input

35 LED1   Open drain output   LED Driver
      36 LED0   Open drain output   LED Driver
      The module's VDD supply comes from the 3.3V SMPS regulator, as apparently do the VDD_BAT and VDD_USB pins. You should verify the continuity between these pins with your multimeter, after disconnecting the battery.

We now need to determine where the VDD_CHG input comes from. The BM153 datasheet is telling us that it connects to the BQ29040 input pin, which is the output of the 4.67V regulator. However, I suspect that VDD_CHG would be connected to the /CHG pin of the BQ29040. The charging IC drives this pin low whenever it is charging the battery. Once again, you could test for continuity between these pins. Also measure the voltage on this pin when the charger is disconnected and when the battery is present and not present.

Obviously the Bluetooth module drives the LED, not the BQ29040.

BAT54C is a mystery. I would test for continuity between the 4.67V regulator and pin 1, and between the battery +ve terminal and pin 2 (with the battery disconnected). I don't understand how you came to measure a higher voltage (4.74V) on pin 3.

Comment

Continuity between VDD/USB/BAT checks

I get no continuity between VDD_CHG, input or /CHG pins on charger ic it doesn't look like it has a trace/connected to anything
        Also 0v on that pin with charger disconnected, battery in or out
        So VDD_CHG is supposed to see a voltage even if there's an external charge circuit?

Continuity checks between 4.67v regulator and pin 1
        No continuity between battery positive terminal and pin 2 (of charge ic if that's what you meant)

BAT54C puzzled me too, I even just now measured 5v at the common cathode! So not sure what's going on there, should be a .6v voltage drop from charger input right?
        Last edited by caphair; 09-18-2015, 03:34 PM.

Comment

In retrospect, the VDD_CHG pin must be high, not low, so it cannot be connected to /CHG, as you have verified. Sorry about that.

Anyway, I don't have any more ideas. If I were doing this job, I would trace the circuit around the battery, BM150 module, and the BQ29040. Without this information, I'd only be guessing. Perhaps someone else has some better insight.

Comment

Yeah idk either I might just throw in the towel. At least it powers on and works. If you or anyone comes up with any other ideas, please feel free to post. Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Hello,

Had the same problem, no power on,

D300 has burning signs, replaced D300 but still no power on. If touched R304 by wet hand and push power buton, it powers on, soo checked R304, it should be about 45 kOhm, but was only 17 kOhm. It connects to C306 too, resoldered C306 that had a teporary short or solder problem and now everything is OK.

BR: maxXimum

Comment

Originally posted by maxximum View Post
                Hello,

Had the same problem, no power on,

D300 has burning signs, replaced D300 but still no power on. If touched R304 by wet hand and push power buton, it powers on, soo checked R304, it should be about 45 kOhm, but was only 17 kOhm. It connects to C306 too, resoldered C306 that had a teporary short or solder problem and now everything is OK.

Nice! Does your power indicator continuously blink even if fully charged? Never figured that issue out

Comment

Originally posted by caphair View Post
                  Nice! Does your power indicator continuously blink even if fully charged? Never figured that issue out
                  Hello, if fully charged, it turns on solid, no blinking.

Comment

Originally posted by caphair View Post
                    Yeah idk either I might just throw in the towel. At least it powers on and works. If you or anyone comes up with any other ideas, please feel free to post. Thanks for all your help!
                    I have Bluetooth device and had a problem were the battery charged up fine the first time I ran the device until it shut off and recharge it over night but the charge LED light would not turn off
                    So I replace the battery with a much bigger battery and the charge LED light went off it could be there is something wrong with the battery or the protection board on the battery

I have seen where the protection board do not ether have power out or can not handle current load or where they shut the charging off early

I have seen batteries that would not reach the 4.2 battery voltage they should

This means that battery has issues and will have service live issues

I hope this helps
                    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-25-2015, 12:39 PM.
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply
                    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Hello. I have a question for the experts: A portable external battery that provides exactly 19.59 volts (3.5A) is possible to use in the power input ? This VOLTAGE ( TENSION ) can damage the internal components? The amperage (3.5A) I know it's possible , my question is specifically the voltage ! This external battery can also provide 16.67 volts (and 12.55v). Would be better ? (I have a good multimeter...) Sorry , I can not write well in English ...
                      Thank you.

Comment

I have another portable battery option for power input : 18.55 volts. It is better than 19.59 volts ? Thank you.

Comment

hello there.
                          I have the same device, but another problem.
                          When I hold the power button for at least 3 seconds (sometimes over 5), it cames alive for one second, and then powers off.
                          I did the voltage check, the pin 3 reset is at 3.25V and when I press the power button it drops.
                          Please help, any ideeas?

Comment

Are all your power voltage rails OK?
                            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                            -David VanHorn

Comment

Everything is OK with the voltage rails. I have power on the IC amps, I have power on the BT module; the unit starts then shuts down.
                              I've checked the IC apms, and no shorts on them; also, in that second when it's on, I can hear some fsssssss on both channels.
                              What else can I check?

Comment

Originally posted by LFCD2 View Post
                                I have another portable battery option for power input : 18.55 volts. It is better than 19.59 volts ? Thank you.
                                Either should work in place of the 19v external charger, but to be on the safe side I would use the 18.55v supply. The audio amps are rated for 20v maximum, I believe.
                                Do NOT use it in place of the internal battery, which is rated for 3.7v!
                                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by dj01fad View Post
                                  Everything is OK with the voltage rails. I have power on the IC amps, I have power on the BT module; the unit starts then shuts down.
                                  I've checked the IC apms, and no shorts on them; also, in that second when it's on, I can hear some fsssssss on both channels.
                                  What else can I check?
                                  Is the sound you hear the normal sound it would make without input, or is it abnormal?
                                  -David VanHorn

Comment

I have no ideea if it's normal (maybe it's normal, it has no distorsions). I have it from a friend, and I received it broken.
                                    I can make an audio record and post it if it would help, but no sooner than monday because I'm out of town now.
                                    Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                                      Either should work in place of the 19v external charger, but to be on the safe side I would use the 18.55v supply. The audio amps are rated for 20v maximum, I believe.
                                      Do NOT use it in place of the internal battery, which is rated for 3.7v!
                                      thank you. I changed my portable battery 19,5v (using rectifier diodes ) to 18,9v , considering the load. So is working well , it is 5 hours of autonomy with the high volume !

Comment

I ask prices Harman Kardon Onyx Studio 3 speakers how many? I bought it purchased?
                                        http://viendongshop.vn/harman-kardon-onyx-studio-3.html
                                        chu ky so, chu ky so ca2, chu ky so fpt

Comment

Harman Kardon Onyx Studio 1 has been die (can't power on)
                                          Could you help me to resolve it?

Comment

Working...
                                          X