Phoenix Gold 500.4 car amplifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phoenix Gold 500.4 car amplifier

I'm trying to repair this amp, but I have very little experience repairing this type of equipment. I believe that two of the four channels are blown, but everything on the board looks good visually and I haven't discovered any FETs with bad readings. When I power up the amp, it acts like it's going to work, but after 10 seconds, it blows the breaker on my power supply. Any idea on what else I should check?
    Attached Files

Re: Phoenix Gold 500.4 car amplifier

what do the led's indicate?

Comment

I'm not entirely sure. I believe it has to do with the output channels.

Comment

the large caps look faulty. push lightly on the tops of those big caps, if they flatten easy then they are probably ok, but if it takes an amount of force to push them down they are faulty.
        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
          the large caps look faulty. push lightly on the tops of those big caps, if they flatten easy then they are probably ok, but if it takes an amount of force to push them down they are faulty.
          Those are just the covers. The caps don't appear to have any actual bulging.

Comment

Strange way to troubleshoot an amplifier. You'll need an adjustable power supply with an ammeter, a load bank, signal generator and scope. The amp waits until the dc on the output has settled. That might account for the 10 second delay. It would also suggest that some of your outputs or the drivers or both are faulty. Let's start with a schematic.
            Last edited by Longbow; 01-24-2015, 12:14 PM.
            Is it plugged in?

Comment

Originally posted by Longbow View Post
              Strange way to troubleshoot an amplifier. You'll need an adjustable power supply with an ammeter, a load bank, signal generator and scope. The amp waits until the dc on the output has settled. That might account for the 10 second delay. It would also suggest that some of your outputs or the drivers or both are faulty. Let's start with a schematic.
              If you can find a schematic, I'd be rather surprised. PG is notorious for their lack of repair info available. But if you need all that equipment to fix an amp, I'm SOL anyway.

Comment

Working...
              X