Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kenwood Chef KVC50 / KVL60 / KVC5000 / KVL6000 / KVL6030 / KVL6050 kitchen machine repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kenwood Chef KVC50 / KVL60 / KVC5000 / KVL6000 / KVL6030 / KVL6050 kitchen machine repair

Hello,

I am attempting to repair a KVC50 kitchen machine. Problem is that speeds 1..5 on the speed dial do not work at all (motor is not engaged). The 'reverse' and 'slow' settings on the same dial however work properly. I removed the dial, its PCB components seems to be basic: a potentiometer, a microswitch, a couple of LEDs and a couple of SMD diodes or transistors. The dial has three cables with three connectors that hook up to the motor controller PCB. One connector (3 pins) for speed, one connector (5 pins) for the LEDs, and one connector (2 pins) for a safety switch that is mounted on top of the dial.

I measured the resistance using a DVM over the 3-pins connector, and did not get consistent results. I also measured directly over the potmeter, that gave consistent and expected results. Thus I suspect some sort of connection problem. However. The dial PCB is painted, so the underlying pcb traces are not visible. I am unsure if the 3 leads of the potmeter should simply route to the 3 pins of the 3-pin connector, or if there is perhaps an active component (eg a diode or transistor) in-between.

I turned my attention to the motor controller PCB and thought: what if I connect a potmeter to the 3-pin terminal (CN107), would the machine then work properly. But: I had no pin-out of that connector on the motor controller PCB.

I contacted Kenwood Europe for schematics and got denied, response was that if they'd share schematics, they'd be liable for accidents. I wonder if that is a viable reasoning. I then escalated to sustainability@delonghigroup.com but so far got radio silence.

I proceeded to reverse-engineer part of the motor controller PCB in order to discover the 3-pin terminal assignments (CN107). See attached image in which I used an image editor (Gimp) to overlay the component side of the PCB onto the solder side. Perhaps it is useful for another soul in the future.

My question would be: can anyone confirm that the potmeter 'dial' is a simple 1:1 connection to the 3-pin cable/connector emerging from the dial ?

Thanks, Roland.
Working...
X