Smart Appliances these days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart Appliances these days?

Hey fellows, couple of questions. I have a led on my Fridge that lights up every six months telling me its time to change the water filter. I'm assuming its using a 555 chip or some timing circuit to turn this light on every six months. To turn this led off, you have to press a reset button. I actually change the filter every two years or when I noticed the water flow start slowing down. My Cuisinart coffee maker has a red light light come on when the maker supposedly needs cleaned. I havn't noticed any set time when this coffee maker decides that it needs cleaned. Here is my question. After I go through the cleaning routine with the white vinegar, the red light goes off by its self. I didn't unplug it or reset anything. this is a $50 coffee maker. How did it know if I actually cleaned it or not? What kind of sensor could determine this? Its a model CBC6400-PC. Thanks!

Re: Smart Appliances these days?

probably just an led & light sensor.

Comment

its just a thermal switch on the boiler unit.
      when it gets limed up it runs hotter since the heat transfer to the water is impaired.trips the sensor and turns on the light.nice and simple.and useful.

nothing "smart" about any appliance.
      they are just loaded up with electronic crap.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
        its just a thermal switch on the boiler unit.
        when it gets limed up it runs hotter since the heat transfer to the water is impaired.trips the sensor and turns on the light.nice and simple.and useful.

nothing "smart" about any appliance.
        they are just loaded up with electronic crap.
        Thanks, seems this would be the most logical explanation!

Comment

Don't forget that the water filter has bacteria growing in it constantly, which is the main reason for the reminder to change it, the slower flow rate is of secondary concern. You can end up with more bacteria in the water from the filter than you had coming from the tap in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by jondoe View Post
            Don't forget that the water filter has bacteria growing in it constantly, which is the main reason for the reminder to change it, the slower flow rate is of secondary concern. You can end up with more bacteria in the water from the filter than you had coming from the tap in the first place.
            Never considered this. Never noticed a slower flow rate though. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X