Backlight Reflector Modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backlight Reflector Modification

I am writing this because I came looking for the same information but couldn't find anything. There are certain model tvs that will have 2 or more different backlight strip configurations and there is often no way to tell exactly what you have without disassembling the panel. Twice now I have run into this issue and ended up ordering the wrong sets BOTH times. The previous TV I reordered the correct ones and went on my way. The second one I had no patience for returns or reorders, let alone peeling the brand new strips back out and risk damaging them.

The number of LEDs per pair is the same between both "versions" of strips, however the length of side A in proportion to side B was different, and the spacing between LEDs was different. Thus, the reflector DID NOT line up with the replacements. So, having no other viable options, I decided to cut straight across the punch outs, cut out where the new LEDs needed to be, and then taped it up roughly as to try and not have large gaps or bumps casting shadows. I also used some of the little squares I cut out to cover the middle connectors. The end result looks quite Frankensteined BUT I see no visible signs of refraction, shadows, or spots in the image.

This exact tv was an LG 49UH610A, but reflectors are all the same material and serve the same purpose between all LED TVs. I'm sure some sort of suitable material exists that could be used to make a whole new reflector, or even perhaps glossy white poster board would work, but careful modification of the original does the trick well.

I've added pictures of the modified reflector and the end result (I may add better pictures later).

Note: the number of LEDs per strip may be different between Side A and Side B between different versions, or an entirely different amount per full set. This COULD potentially affect voltage configuration, so be mindful of the exact number of LEDs per strip pair, as well as number per full set.

As with any shortcut/hack, YMMV.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by x_orange90_x; 03-12-2024, 08:40 AM.
Working...
X