Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I test coil whether it is really broken or not?

Collapse
This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I test coil whether it is really broken or not?

I have old game console which have connected to 220v outlet by previous owner and It is not able to turn on.

I checked continuity of fuse in PSU unit with a multimeter which is shown in the below picture with a orange circle around it, and It seems that fuse became open circuit.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	is-it-possbile-to-replace-171-7962a-x1-psu-with-171-7874a-v0-fpbctyvxojjc1-ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg-converter.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.30 MB ID:	3219795
    I also found that as well as bulging capacitor, there is unidentified coil which has residue all over its surface

unidentified coil which has residue all over its surface
    Click image for larger version  Name:	is-it-possbile-to-replace-171-7962a-x1-psu-with-171-7874a-v0-5gozf1wxojjc1-ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg-converter.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.05 MB ID:	3219796

I want to replace this round black fuse and unidentified coil if it got broken.

But How can I test coil whether it is really broken or not?

and Is it possible to replace this round black fuse with normal glass fuse?

Any reply would be appreciated.
  • Answer selected by chth96 at 02-21-2024, 04:48 AM.

the coil is fine,
    the cap is obviously 200v rated and dead
    dreamcast right?
    it looks familiar

Comment

I suggest you start by changing the bloated capacitor first. The way i see it the coil is fine ..

Comment

the coil is fine,
        the cap is obviously 200v rated and dead
        dreamcast right?
        it looks familiar

Comment

Thank very much for all of reply.
          Yes. it is psu unit of dreamcast us version(HKT-3020) , and it was dead by connecting it to 220v outlet.
          If coil is fine,I will replace fuse as well as bulging capacitor(200v 100uf KMG).But Is it okay to test this psu board without connecting to dreamcast mainboard?
          (it would be similar to PC power supply Isolated Test)

Comment

you probably need a load on the 3.3v line,
            and i hope you know the 2pin connector is for a power switch - so it wont work without the switch or a jump wire

Comment

I will connect only power cord and power switch to psu unit and will push power button in order to measuring voltage for all of six pin connector.
              I really hope that it would be no harm to psu unit, when I test this psu without any load.

Comment

it wont harm it, but some psu's wont run stable unless you connect something to the output - like a resistor or lamp

Comment

Thank you very much for your reply.
                  in fact,It is becoming harder to get dreamcast mainboard in my nation.
                  So I really want to reduce likelihood of mainboard breakdown if there is something wrong in psu.

Comment

Working...
                  X