Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: bad power very VERY bad power! dont want server damage

Originally posted by goontron View Post
    quick question, is 135v high for this center-tap nonsense?
    At home with a split phase service? Then yes. If the opposite leg is ~105V, you've got an open service neutral. Your CATV/gas pipe (dielectric union?)/telco ground is balancing things out.
    "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
    Originally posted by shango066
    All style and no substance.
    Originally posted by smashstuff30
    guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
    guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

quick question, is 135v high for this center-tap nonsense?
      Yes... try asking your neighbors if you can take some measurements from their outlets to see if it's a problem with your house (like a high-resistance neutral, which will cause high voltages on some circuits and low on others) or if it's something that the power company is doing wrong.

The way that the American system works is that the electrical system is basically a series-parallel 240V system, with a center tap on the transformer's secondary (called "neutral" and is bonded to ground, otherwise it would be a floating system) to help equalize any imbalances between the two sides of the load. If the neutral goes open, then the power cannot even out between the two halves. Whichever side has the lower resistance (higher load) gets a lower voltage drop across it, thanks to Ohm's law.

If you have your own transformer (as in the power company's transformer is only powering your house), it wouldn't be hard to convert your house to a straight 240V system. You would just have to bond a phase to ground, and disconnect the neutral. If you share a transformer, an isolation transformer can be used for this.

I don't get why we even have this system in the first place, really. I wish we had a 3-phase, 240V-to-ground system like so many other countries.

Hopefully that all made sense.

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
        At home with a split phase service? Then yes. If the opposite leg is ~105V, you've got an open service neutral. Your CATV/gas pipe (dielectric union?)/telco ground is balancing things out.
        no, all legs at 135v, i live in an apartment building and my neighbors power is like that too. i have checked the return, it in good nick. this all started once the transformer was replaced.
        Last edited by goontron; 10-30-2013, 09:13 PM.
        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

no, all legs at 135v, i live in an apartment building and my neighbors power is like that too. i have checked the return, it in good nick. this all started once the transformer was replaced.
          You could try to see if there's something that the power company could do. Some of those transformers have multiple taps to adjust the output.

Interestingly, the voltage here goes down 2-3V at night. Maybe it's the people using electric heat. There can't be too many, though, as electricity is very expensive here.
          Last edited by cheapie; 10-30-2013, 09:53 PM.

Comment

no, all legs at 135v, i live in an apartment building and my neighbors power is like that too.
            208Y/120 is a possibility, if it's a largeish building.

Measure between each outside leg of a "dryer" or "range" outlet to neutral or GND. Both legs should be within a volt or two.

i have checked the return, it in good nick. this all started once the transformer was replaced.
            You positively cannot tell this from where you are. Multiple panels/apt's, and multiple GEC, CATV, telco(?) parallel bonding paths. The noodle can be flying in the air and things will appear to be balanced.

You must check voltages again. If this were a single service such as on a house, I could tell you how to use a long extension cord as an "extended test lead" and a meter to check FOP between your svc neutral buss and transformer ground. But, again, multiple parallel paths make this difficult.

Notice any lights getting brigher when large appliances, on another leg, kick on? Fridge, washing machine, dishwasher, microwave, for example.

FWIW, 135V AC results in 191V DC on each incoming electro in an SMPS.
            "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

208Y/120 is a possibility, if it's a largeish building.

Measure between each outside leg of a "dryer" or "range" outlet to neutral or GND. Both legs should be within a volt or two.

You positively cannot tell this from where you are. Multiple panels/apt's, and multiple GEC, CATV, telco(?) parallel bonding paths. The noodle can be flying in the air and things will appear to be balanced.

You must check voltages again. If this were a single service such as on a house, I could tell you how to use a long extension cord as an "extended test lead" and a meter to check FOP between your svc neutral buss and transformer ground. But, again, multiple parallel paths make this difficult.

Notice any lights getting brigher when large appliances, on another leg, kick on? Fridge, washing machine, dishwasher, microwave, for example.

FWIW, 135V AC results in 191V DC on each incoming electro in an SMPS.
              actually i can tell you that return is in good nick, i have been in my panel(zinsco) in the meter room (more zinsco) and at the lines to the pole, it in goood nick.
              and we got new manager and new owner so im going to type up a notice about the hazards.
              Last edited by goontron; 10-30-2013, 11:14 PM.
              Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

actually i can tell you that return is in good nick, i have been in my panel(zinsco) in the meter room (more zinsco) and at the lines to the pole, it in goood nick.
                and we got new manager and new owner so im going to type up a notice about the hazards.
                Have fun.

How many lines? Triplex? Quadplex?

How many transformers? A three-phase bank, or a single large pot?

7620 transformer(s) on a (14400/) 8314 system by mistake? If so, 208, if three phase, will be reading 226. If single phase, your 240 will be almost 270!
                "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

its a triplex 2 hots 1 return,(3 phase?), my DMM only reads up to 200vAC.
                  but you could soon be corrector about return going open, I found the wire support arm broken and leaning on the return connection to the trany with a tree branch leaning on the broken arm
                  Last edited by goontron; 10-30-2013, 11:47 PM.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

its a triplex 2 hots 1 return,(3 phase?), my DMM only reads up to 200vAC.
                    but you could soon be corrector about return going open, I found the wire support arm broken and leaning on the return connection to the trany with a tree branch leaning on the broken arm
                    What remotely modern DMM only reads to 200V AC?

120/240 single phase or 120/208 single phase, but only if two or three transformers present.

Sounds like the former, though. Old building, old Zinsco junk, old area...

If your electric meters have four tabs, then it's 120/240 1ph. If they're "fifth jaw" meters, then it's 120/208.

Get a long grounded extension cord. Plug it into any outlet in the place. Extend it out to the transformer pole. With meter set to AC volts, measure from the "ground" of the extension cord to the ground going down the side of the pole. I'll bet you get an easy 10V, even with all the parallel paths I mentioned previously.

Don't hesitate to call the POCO (again)!
                    Last edited by kaboom; 10-31-2013, 12:03 AM.
                    "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

http://www.controlrepair.com/p29590_...eter-plus.html
                      only one tranny.
                      only 4 tabs.
                      what ground wire? the pole dont have one!
                      will call the POCO, i dont like the look of the cross arm or the tree leaning on it!
                      Last edited by goontron; 10-31-2013, 12:15 AM.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

120/240V 1ph

what ground wire? the pole dont have one!
                        Is the transformer fed phase-to-phase, aka, two primary bushings?

will call the POCO, i dont like the look of the cross arm or the tree leaning on it!
                        And if the tree ever touches the primary, keep away, as much as you might wanna play...
                        "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

120/240V 1ph

Is the transformer fed phase-to-phase, aka, two primary bushings?

And if the tree ever touches the primary, keep away, as much as you might wanna play...
                          it fed phase to phase.
                          aww, but i know how to play with 50KV safely.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

it fed phase to phase.
                            Aha- no MGN? Multi-grounded neutral. In areas where soil conductivity is better, we have single bushing cans, naturally fed with a single primary leg. Secondary and primary neutrals are always bonded. As well as POTS and CATV shields. In addition, there are ground rods every so many poles, and always on transformer poles and poles with arrestors.

"Out west," they like to connect transformers' primaries phase to phase, although there is an interesing system in and around San Diego.

4160/2400Y, with a neutral and pots single-phase-fed to neutral, with a 16(?) KV overbuild, whose transformers are of the two-bushing type. I think the 16KV is a wye system, but w/o a neutral from the subs it originates from.

As systems "modernize," POCOs in rocky and sandy areas appear to be mitigating "step potential" issues...

Around where the "smoshers" live, there's an elaborate 21/12KV distribution network. Apparently, once upon a time, cans were fed hot-to-neutral at ~12KV. Now it's phase to phase at 21KV. And the 72KV subtransmission is overbuilt. Which is ultimately derived from 138, 161(?) and 345kV.

PECO does something similar in their service area. Large 138/34.5 and 230/34.5 subs. As well as 500/230/138. Huge subs, just not that many. They run the 34.5KV throughout neighborhoods, ROWs, all over the place. Every few miles, there's a 34.5/4.16KV "modular sub." Like a unit substation, but bigger. Still, otherwise self contained. The 4160/2400 is then stepped down by pole pigs or padmounts for whatever the customer requires. Newer developments and buildings just use the 34.5 directly, with pigs and pads dropping it all the way down to secondary voltage. That's right- 34.5KV->120/240V. Almost frightening if you've never seen it before.

MetEd/FirstEnergy/FirstEnema is more conventional. Like 500/230, then 230/138/69, and multiple 69/13.2KV subs across the area. The 13.2KV is "single-phased" at 7.62KV into single phase TXs to feed houses. Either 13.2/480V or 13.2/208 pads or banks for larger buildings. There are multiple 69 ckts, each serving a given area. But each 69 ckt has multiple tie-ins and switches, as well as the ability, in areas of higher density, to parallel other 69kV ckts. Redundancy.

But what's unique to the MetEd service area is all the old sorta REC stuff. Out along country roads, you'd come across a pole with a huge single-phase transformer on it. These are "stepdowns," taking 13.2kV single phase or 7.62kV down to 4800V. The old 4800 open delta(?) stuff. A trip back in time.
                            IOW, it is the 13.2 serving as subtransmission for the 4800, just as the 69 does for the 13.2!

Ubiquitous in farming areas. Two bushing transformers, no pole ground, no primary neutral. Two cutouts and two LAs. These are a lot of fun when a leg is lost or backfed down and up thru two stepdowns in 13.2/4.8/13.2 or 7.62/4.8/7.62 fashion. People end up with some stupid 60-80 volts!

Step potential and live trees make things... interesting.

I think I topped myself in that one...
                            Last edited by kaboom; 10-31-2013, 01:07 AM.
                            "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

it fed phase to phase.
                              Spark ignition on a gas engine?
                              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

32 GB G.Skill RipJaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVR

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

As an electrician, I hope I can help fill in the blanks on electrical voltages. 120VAC is typically + or - 10%, so your utility is providing anywhere from 108 to 132 volts and still be 'within their specs'. I have to make my building to allow only a 3% voltage drop on any circuit while under load. Go figure.

I moved from Harrington to Dover area in August and noticed a huge difference in the power quality (or the lack of quality). Delmarva Power tries to run their transformers at 300% capacity. My old service was on OLD copper overhead(uninsulated, green) and I was the last of 14 houses on a 50KVA transformer. As a result, I never saw 120volts. My voltages ranged from 115 on a good day to 107 on a bad day, my main UPS was never happy with that, always correcting a brownout condition.

City of Dover electric is underground, voltages rarely drop below 117 volts, regardless of loading.

Excessive high voltages are not good for incandescent lamps, but 'smart ballasts' used in commercial T8 lighting don't care unless it drops below 108 and don't exceed 305 volts. Some motors won't like it either, but most will actually run cooler at slightly higher voltages.
                                Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

Originally posted by delaware74b View Post
                                  As an electrician, I hope I can help fill in the blanks on electrical voltages. 120VAC is typically + or - 10%, so your utility is providing anywhere from 108 to 132 volts and still be 'within their specs'. I have to make my building to allow only a 3% voltage drop on any circuit while under load. Go figure.

I moved from Harrington to Dover area in August and noticed a huge difference in the power quality (or the lack of quality). Delmarva Power tries to run their transformers at 300% capacity. My old service was on OLD copper overhead(uninsulated, green) and I was the last of 14 houses on a 50KVA transformer. As a result, I never saw 120volts. My voltages ranged from 115 on a good day to 107 on a bad day, my main UPS was never happy with that, always correcting a brownout condition.

City of Dover electric is underground, voltages rarely drop below 117 volts, regardless of loading.

Excessive high voltages are not good for incandescent lamps, but 'smart ballasts' used in commercial T8 lighting don't care unless it drops below 108 and don't exceed 305 volts. Some motors won't like it either, but most will actually run cooler at slightly higher voltages.
                                  Did that poor, overloaded transformer ever burn out?! 14 houses on a 50kVa transformer ... erm, that is pushing it!
                                  Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Green Mountain Power in Vermont seems to usually be at 120 for the minimum.

(Seeing 117V and lower is actually scary in Springfield, at least this building, because it means it's on bleeding edge and a circuit breaker trip is right around the corner!)

(Formerly CVPS)
                                    (IIRC, CVPS bought GMP, but the former GMP was not in this region of Vermont and CVPS was renamed to Green Mountain Power!)

It's usually 124V-126V

124V right now, according to my UPS.....

Before July, I found out that one day in 2013, the 10,000 BTU air con, the 5,200 BTU air con, microwave oven and my PC were running on the same circuit! WTF! It tripped when one of the workers was using the microwave oven in our kitchen.
                                    At least roughly 2,500 watts!
                                    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 10-31-2013, 05:25 PM.
                                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

32 GB G.Skill RipJaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVR

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by delaware74b View Post
                                      My old service was on OLD copper overhead(uninsulated, green) and I was the last of 14 houses on a 50KVA transformer..
                                      We have the overhead uninsulated lines here, but this is the only house on a 50KVA transformer.

At school, they get 408(?)V 3-phase coming into the building. There are 30KVA transformers scattered throughout the building (about 15 of them) to make 120/240V. I sit next to one in one of my classes. I might have to get a picture of the nameplate. Also, earlier this year, there were problems with the main fuses blowing. They just put in bigger and bigger fuses until they stopped blowing. Strangely, even toward the end of that, when they had an electrician in the building all day, it still took about half an hour to change the fuse.
                                      Last edited by cheapie; 10-31-2013, 08:27 PM.

Comment

ben7 - I don't know about that transformer..... I moved from Harrington in August. I do know the power in my new location is much more stable and my UPS's haven't been correcting unless I turned the breakers off. I have been doing some electrical repairs/upgrades around the new house.
                                        Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

Working...
                                        X