Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rework Station Pump - Can They Be Repaired ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rework Station Pump - Can They Be Repaired ?

start with a re-cap

Comment

I have verified with a magnet that the two magnets on the piston are indeed in the arrangement as posted above.

I need to recheck the coils to rule them out. After that it's a problem on the driver board - will post pics of that board soon.

Is there an easy way to test for the presence of an oscillating magnetic field ?

Comment

Hmm.. will try with a compass though the frequency of oscillation may tear the needle off

Comment

put a microphone near it - if it's between 50Hz and 15KHz it should detect it.

Comment

Here are some pics of the control board. It has two bt137 triacs and an lm358 on it as well as a/c input from the mains. Can anyone infer from the pics how this works ? And is it safe to put a scope on the two wires driving the magnetic coils ?
            Attached Files

Comment

so which pair of wires goes to the pump?

Comment

The two soldered to the back of the board in pic 4 and pic 5.

Comment

resolder the power transistor or whatever it is,
                  the center pin looks strange in the foto's

Comment

Resoldered the two triacs, the lm358 and several dubious joints. Reassembled the pump unit minus the back plate so I could see the movement of the piston.

Fired it up and no change.

The frequency was measured at 60hz. The a/c voltage changes with the air speed knob but the frequency remains at 60hz.

I noticed now that the wand no longer heats up, don't know how long it's been like that or if it's a related problem yet.

Feel like I'm chasing my tail with this one.

Comment

i have a funny feeling the motor control is a phase-angle controller - like a lamp dimmer.
                      you will need a scope to see what it does, BUT maybe replacing the pump with a low wattage lamp bulb would be a good test.

Comment

That is a good idea. From what I have read about triacs they can be used for phase angle control.

What should I expect to see with a bulb ? If it's safe to hook up a scope to the motor leads then I can do that, too.

Comment

if your scope is good for mains - go for it.
                          if not, hook a small coil or inductor to the scope probe, put the voltage to max sensitivity per div, and put it on the wire!!

you should get a lamp with variable brightness from full to something less - not nothing obviously, but maybe 20% or so.

Comment

But at 60hz I'd doubt I would even see flicker ? Won't hurt to try.

I don't think I'm comfortable hooking up my scope to mains which is why I was wondering if the motor was somehow isolated from mains already.

Comment

no, unless you see an isolation transformer the pump is live.

is the pump marked with it's voltage or wattage etc?

Comment

theres a link in this video at the end that maybe usefull
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azmuyKNEyeI

Comment

That is the same unit as mine essentially. My diaphragms are fine though.

The pump has no markings whatsoever.

Comment

Used a short stack of 9v batteries to drive the piston in both directions so the pump itself is fine.

The driver board itself consists of two BT137 triacs, an op amp, a couple of caps and several diodes and resistors including eleven high wattage ones.

Earlier I measured the ac voltage to be variable (60-120v) at 60hz. There is no way this piston can oscillate that fast so there must be a breakdown of the circuit feeding it.

Can anyone explain how they think the ac wave is constructed to drive the pump ? By what means can this circuit change a 120v 60hz voltage to say 120v at 5hz ?
                                    Last edited by mmartell; 04-27-2016, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Need some help here before I back over this thing with my car.

Can anyone shed some light on how the pump is driven based on the pics of the board I posted earlier ?

Comment

did you try replacing it with a lamp?

Comment

No because I measure 120v @ 60hz at the pump (coil) terminals. I have to believe that 60hz is way too fast for that little piston so I'm relatively certain something in the circuit must have failed.

Comment

Working...
                                          X