Soldering  'Pens Tip Became BLACK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soldering  'Pens Tip Became BLACK

Hi everyone I have a big problem with my soldering pens tip they are turning black and I can't get them to shine. have tried several methods without success, do you have any tips or how do you go about solving the problem?

Brass sponge.
    Are you cleaning the pcb/area before work ?
    What temperatures, flux and iron are you using ?
    Last edited by diif; 02-08-2024, 01:52 AM.

Comment

too much heat
      dont solder above 350'

you can get tip renewer from aliexpress that seems to contain a mix of powdered solder and amonia crystals but it doesnt last once you burn the plating on the tip

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
        Brass sponge.
        Are you cleaning the pcb/area before work ?
        What temperatures, flux and iron are you using ?
        Hi the ones in question are cheap varieties, an old Weller non-adjustable and FixPoint adjustable for flux I use GumRosin which I dilate in IPA or Acetone.
        I don't even have time to solder, they turn black at once. with FixPoint 350 degrees.

Comment

pay cheap get cheap

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
            pay cheap get cheap
            I know, but how do you make sure your soldering iron is in good shape, any tips?

Comment

You could try using some shop bought flux, this would identify if the problem is the flux or the iron.

Comment

Can you provide some photo or video clip about that, after cleaning and after became black?
                In order to tip stay shiny, the tin must difuse and legure the base material, like copper, nickel... in cheap one this is iron tip (ferro) with galvanized coating who not last long. Some tips have only core of copper, bras or bronze, arounded with ferro, so the tin cant move up to heat.
                With process of leguring tip with tin, tip (copper) is slowely soluable in liquid tin, and wear, so some maintance may be necesary.

Comment

something is wrong here.
                  either the iron is a lot hotter than expected or the "flux" is corrosive shit intended for plumbing

Comment

I think petehall347 nailed it. Pay cheap, get cheap. Or you have waaaay to much heat, not use enough flux and don't clean the tip often. If your tip is black, something is off.

Comment

flux will burn black if too hot . also if conformal coating isnt first removed from the pcb might burn black .

Comment

Originally posted by bohaboha View Post

I know, but how do you make sure your soldering iron is in good shape, any tips?
                        first buy quality then use properly .

Comment

i just realised the pictures are missing!

Comment

Working...
                          X