Looking for eMMC interposer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for eMMC interposer

Hello, I need an interposer with the minimal possible footprint, ideally it should have the same size as a FBGA-153 eMMC chip (11.5x13.0 mm). I've found three suitable models so far: Advanced Interconnections BGA socket adapter (price unknown, "please contact for a quote"); Samtec "Z-Ray" (same "please contact") and Ironwood "Grypper" ($709/piece).

Did you use any of these and could recommend any? Does Advanced or Samtec accept small orders (<=5 pieces)?
    Do other eMMC interposers exist? Preferrably with a lower price, few hundred bucks is OK but $700/piece is just way too much.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Looking for eMMC interposer

what is an interposer?
    you mean a programming adapter?

Comment

usually interposer is a (electromechanical) connector to a chip for a circuit board that's easy to remove (so usually ZIF), and allows in circuit probing/connectivity.

Also these are usually used in design debug, not repair debug, but yeah of course it could be useful.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        what is an interposer?
        It is a kind of connector that is installed between the PCB and the target chip and allows a quick (sometimes solderless) swapping of the chips.

Yes, I need it for design, not a repair.
        Attached Files

Comment

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003576235198.html
          ?

obviously not it

Comment

Of course not, that device from Aliexpress is intended to be plugged into an external programmer, and I need a device to install between the chip and the original PCB.
            Attached Files

Comment

Update, in case anyone interested.
              I have also found a manufacturer of cheap interposers in China, just $600/piece with a minimal order quantity of just 1 piece, search for "Sireda Tech BGA socket" (not advertisement). Their interposers would be the best choice in terms of price and usability, unfortunately those models are not suitable for my particular PCB as I have high profile components close to the eMMC chip.

As for the other manufacturers,

> Advanced Interconnections BGA socket adapter
              - appeared not suitable for my project; did not ask for the price.

> Ironwood "Grypper"
              - appeared most suitable for my project, unfortunately the price is quite painful for a small startup - the minimal order quantity is 4 pieces so prepare to pay ~3000 USD.

> Samtec "Z-Ray"
              - did not contact them as I've decided to go with the "Grypper"

Comment

what is the project?

Comment

I'd be surprised if interposers were sold in high quantities, usually you only need 1 during design. Would be messed up if you needed to buy 10. And since you only need 1, they can charge $ARM$LEG for them, so the high price is not unexpected for such a simple device.

... and to know the project is to have fun with NDAs ...

Comment

it's probably a hacking project.
                    when you design stuff you have a different board design with added debug headers and/or larger packaged i.c.'s

even hacking stuff - that i used to do, it was more common to pull the chip and put a small board with headers nearby using a shitload of kinar or transformer wire.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                      And since you only need 1, they can charge $ARM$LEG for them, so the high price is not unexpected for such a simple device.
                      ... and to know the project is to have fun with NDAs ...
                      it's probably a hacking project.
                      even hacking stuff - that i used to do, it was more common to pull the chip and put a small board with headers nearby using a shitload of kinar or transformer wire.
                      Either way, design or hacking, although being a 153 package
                      - 1 hand of wires in serial mode (D0, CLK, CMD, 2 power wires) or
                      - 3 hands of wires in normal mode,
                      are all the pin headers needed.
                      Last edited by megaraider; 08-14-2023, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X