blown caps on 9600 gso

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blown caps on 9600 gso

hi all ,just came across this site ....some great info here,well done..

now i have a problem ,i got 2 blown caps on my graphics card,its a 9600 gso

2 different type of cap has blown,both fz's,ive seen here that these are a really bad make

one is a fz85 1500 6.3v
    im not too sure on the other one as i cant see it properly but it looks like a fz03 1000 6.3v although that could be fz13,not too sure

would it be worth my while to replace them considering theres other fz's on the same card possibly in danger of blowing also?

could someone recommend me replacements for these capacitors please?

also what tools would i need?

thanks guys

Re: blown caps on 9600 gso

more investigation suggests that the fz03 is actually a fz83.....

Comment

Some pics would help.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

im sure you know what a blown capacitor looks like?

Comment

Your caps are sacon FZ (based on your description), the worst video card cap in the world. Rubycon MBZ would be OK as a replacement. You could also replace them with Sanyo SEPC polymer caps or equivalent, if you reduce the capacitance a bit. Replace all the caps, even the ones that aren't bulging yet, unless you want to have to pull the card out again when they fail.

The reason we like pics is so that we can properly identify the failed caps and suggest an appropriate replacement.
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

hi i took some pics today ...

one is of the fz85 1500 6.3v,the cap next to it is identical

the other is the fz83 1000 6.3v

altogether on the board there is

3 x fz85 1500 6.3v (1 blown)
            1 x fz83 1000 6.3v (1 blown)
            4 x fz86 470 16v (all ok)

there are also 2 other caps which are not fz's but they do look like them,they have the blue strip down the left side of the top of the cap,these caps look fine
            Attached Files

Comment

The other caps could be solid polymer caps, or a different "flavour" of sacon FZ. a pic of them would be helpful in order to identify them

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

ive attached some more pics of the other 2 types of caps on the card

now there are pics of all 4 caps on my card is it possible to suggest replacements for them please?
                Attached Files

Comment

The first cap is a Nippon Chemi-con solid cap, which are very reliable and can be left in place. The other is sacon FZ. Same junk electrolyte, just a different vent shape. Any cap with FZ__ on the first line is a sacon FZ, regardless of its vent shape and colours, and should be replaced. You could use the following:

3 x fz85 1500 6.3v - https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=40
                  1 x fz83 1000 6.3v - https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=47
                  4 x fz86 470 16v - https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=51

Comment

thats excellent,thanks man......

ive never done any soldering before but with the right tutorial i reckon i could pull it off ...ill have a look around here

thanks again man

ps...is it ok to swap a 6.3v cap with a 10v cap?

Comment

6.3v is simply the limit that the cap can handle, not a voltage that it will be supplying to the device. So using different voltages is fine as long as the voltage in the circuit is within the limits of the new cap.

Comment

ok cool ,thanks

ill let you know how i get on,thanks again mate

Comment

hi all

just to let people know,i recieved the new caps today and replaced all the fz caps

card seems to be working fine now

thanks everyone for all the help with this

ill get y'all a pint if ya ever come to ireland

Comment

Good to hear it works, and I'm glad I could be of assistance.

Comment

oh no....i got a problem

today i decided to take out the card ,just to look at it to see if everything looked ok.........stupidly i decided to touch up some of the solder joints....when i put it back in the pc wouldnt even boot,have i created a cold joint somewhere or is the card doomed?

thanks in advance............

Comment

obviously check your soldering with a magnifier.

Comment

thanks im gonna resolder the lot tomorrow

Comment

resoldered all the caps again,much cleaner job this time,all working fine,thanks lads

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                      The first cap is a Nippon Chemi-con solid cap, which are very reliable and can be left in place. The other is sacon FZ. Same junk electrolyte, just a different vent shape. Any cap with FZ__ on the first line is a sacon FZ, regardless of its vent shape and colours, and should be replaced. You could use the following:

3 x fz85 1500 6.3v - https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=40
                                      1 x fz83 1000 6.3v - https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=47
                                      4 x fz86 470 16v - https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=51
                                      Hello, I am currently having the same problem with the same GPU. I was wondering if there are any caps similar to these or am I sol. I see the 1000uf is still available but the others are no longer in stock. I would like to attempt to replace these also instead of straight up buying a new gpu. I have another 9600 gso currently in my desktop that was connected together with this card via sli. If you don't have these in stock would you happen to know a similar set of caps I could install instead?

Comment

If you say where you live, we may be able to recommend some good stores close to you.

If you're in Europe (deducting from the weird username) I may be able to help you with caps from my own personal stock and save some money in the process.

But first make sure you have the same capacitors - sometimes even if the manufacturer and model is the same, they change capacitor brands or values between revisions.

Comment

Working...
                                        X