sony KDS-R60XBR1 60 inch DLP 720P/1080I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sony KDS-R60XBR1 60 inch DLP 720P/1080I

I was thinking of picking this unit up, i did a search on here and found no posts, this unit is notorious so much so sony is offering deep discount on newer LCD to owners of this because of heat related melting issue and color distortion ...it can be fixed but was wondering if any here had any dealing with these and think it is worth it to invest time and money.

Hi,If there's any discoloration,pixilation or hues on the tv it will be an issue w the light engine's 3 lcd chips.This link explains how the lcd technology works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLLHnQ4y-wo Basically there's 3 LCD chips that create the colors and picture by blending together all when the light of the lamp goes through them.When they start to melt they will start to show the symptoms.You will need to replace the 3 lcd chips or replace the light engine.Good luck and God bless your house!
    thnx

Re: sony KDS-R60XBR1 60 inch DLP 720P/1080I

DLP are a fucking nightmare,
    even when they work the lamps dont last.
    and they cost a fortune.

in the industry i'm in, when they fail we replace them with large lcd or plasma screens.
    they arent worth the trouble.

the only thing i'd hasve to leave them in is an "ufo stomper" and that beast runs 2 of them with the outputs converged!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3fh5Qj_TLA
    http://www.sega-amusements.co.uk/UFO...fo_stomper.wmv
    Last edited by stj; 03-10-2010, 03:36 PM.

Comment

thnx stj. I thought as much, i had to check though couldn't resist the thought of a 60inch computer monitor

Comment

3LCD have long string of optical block issues. I got one here and I'm not interested as they no longer have block available anymore and cost 1,000 to replace. It is a rental.

Already had 4 gone through here all did not get fixed at all.

True DLP with HID lamp is ok (color wheel, light tunnel collapsing, and high price of HID lamp) and ones that use LED as light source DLP is BEST since no color wheel to fail and longer life, no rainbow effect.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by stj
          DLP are a fucking nightmare,
          even when they work the lamps dont last.
          and they cost a fortune.

in the industry i'm in, when they fail we replace them with large lcd or plasma screens.
          they arent worth the trouble.

the only thing i'd hasve to leave them in is an "ufo stomper" and that beast runs 2 of them with the outputs converged!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3fh5Qj_TLA
          http://www.sega-amusements.co.uk/UFO...fo_stomper.wmv
          1. The Sony KDS-R60XBR1 is a rear projection LCD, not DLP.
          2. I've had my WD-65731 for more than 3 years; still on the original lamp.
          3. A replacement lamp runs about $120; at less than $40 per year, that's not a 'fortune'.
          4. A lens cleaning now and then does wonders for the picture; a PITA job, I'll agree.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

PlainBill, 3LCD, Sony used inferior materials causing discoloration and "dirt". It uses R, G, B LCDs shined thru by 3 color filters after splitting HID light into 3 and shined thru filters (all can be cleaned but issues of optical coatings) then shined onto LCD (they do not have filters on them just polarizers. These 3 LCDs panels convergencing into optical block (made from 4 pieces of 45 degree glass wedges and glued with UV hardening optical glue) and out via single lens assembly onto screen.

The discoloration occurred in optical coatings due to dust, also smoker junk and intense heat of the HID light beam. LCD themselves aren't the issue. Few LCD failed but other than that, 80% of time it was optical coatings on the optical stuff did this.
            Trust me, I once disassembled a optical block module completely and cleaned everything except 3LCD and optical block both you don't want to move them wiht little success (improved but burned off coating was the loss).

I got the photos of these optical block during cleaning (few years ago), I will put up in few days.

Cheers, Wizard
            Last edited by Wizard; 03-10-2010, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard
              PlainBill, 3LCD, Sony used inferior materials causing discoloration and "dirt". It uses R, G, B LCDs shined thru by 3 color filters after splitting HID light into 3 and shined thru filters (all can be cleaned but issues of optical coatings) then shined onto LCD (they do not have filters on them just polarizers. These 3 LCDs panels convergencing into optical block (made from 4 pieces of 45 degree glass wedges and glued with UV hardening optical glue) and out via single lens assembly onto screen.

The discoloration occurred in optical coatings due to dust, also smoker junk and intense heat of the HID light beam. LCD themselves aren't the issue. Few LCD failed but other than that, 80% of time it was optical coatings on the optical stuff did this.
              Trust me, I once disassembled a optical block module completely and cleaned everything except 3LCD and optical block both you don't want to move them wiht little success (improved but burned off coating was the loss).

I got the photos of these optical block during cleaning (few years ago), I will put up in few days.

Cheers, Wizard
              Right, KDS-R60XBR1 wasn't DLP; stj using it to trash DLP is silly. DLP had it's own set of problems, which varied by manufacturer. IIRC, Samsung had color wheel and light tunnel problems; Mitsubishi had bad cap problems in their early DLPs and bum thermistors, and screens that plugged easily with dust in later models.

Still, I've had reasonable success with my DLP set, and I still can't buy a 65" LCD or plasma for what I paid for the DLP. (Not that size is important.)

PlainBill
              For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

thnx for the info guys and bill here is a project u might be interested in (about $400 and u have a 100 inch HD screen ) http://www.lumenlab.com/forums/index.php?showforum=29

Comment

Bringing this topic back from the dead my friend just gave me his KDS-60A2000 sony SXRD with the dreaded greent tinit issue (im using to type this post) the green tint is not all over the screen mosylt on the bottom and middleleft....should i try to clean it or just go for a refurbed unit? i am waiting for a price quote from tri-state ..around $300 ..i hope

i know per our original discussion that these tv's are not always worth the time or money but i figure if i can get it going for around $300 it might be worth it

S!

Comment

Originally posted by RicB View Post
                    Bringing this topic back from the dead my friend just gave me his KDS-60A2000 sony SXRD with the dreaded greent tinit issue (im using to type this post) the green tint is not all over the screen mosylt on the bottom and middleleft....should i try to clean it or just go for a refurbed unit? i am waiting for a price quote from tri-state ..around $300 ..i hope

i know per our original discussion that these tv's are not always worth the time or money but i figure if i can get it going for around $300 it might be worth it

S!
                    If TSM had the LCD panel it is pretty easy to change and about $70.

Comment

Originally posted by Village Electronics View Post
                      If TSM had the LCD panel it is pretty easy to change and about $70.
                      I have read in this forum about a gy who took his part cleaned everything but still wound up get a new unit because it was the red (i think) that was known to go bad on that particular unit... i look at it like this...the unit is 5 years old with a known issue with the light engine so replacing on LCD would just be prolonging the inevitable fact that the light engine needs a total rebuild so I dont think i will even bother trying to clean it ill just go for the rebuilt from TSM...but they only give a 6 month warranty so at this point it really is just a crap shoot...if i got a year out of it for $300 i would not complain

thnx for you response

S!

UPDATE: TSM just told me it would cost $299...but the parts are on indefinate back order i may not be able to get it fixed
                      Last edited by RicB; 06-06-2011, 04:42 PM.

Comment

I have read in this forum about a gy who took his part cleaned everything but still wound up get a new unit because it was the red (i think) that was known to go bad on that particular unit... i look at it like this...the unit is 5 years old with a known issue with the light engine so replacing on LCD would just be prolonging the inevitable fact that the light engine needs a total rebuild so I dont think i will even bother trying to clean it ill just go for the rebuilt from TSM...but they only give a 6 month warranty so at this point it really is just a crap shoot...if i got a year out of it for $300 i would not complain

thnx for you response

S!

UPDATE: TSM just told me it would cost $299...but the parts are on indefinate back order i may not be able to get it fixed
                        FYI: The picture shows an LCD panel that is being replaced. Both of the famous problems are seen on this one panel.

All the cleaning in the world will not change a single thing on this panel.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I want to say i read somewhere (maybe here) about some one replacing the tint that was burned off ....is that possible?

BTW when i am booting on to win7 the upper right corner is blue like it should be but as you look diagonal to the left all the way to the lower left corner it gets darker and darker grreen till it is all dark green in the lower left.

if TSM does not have the part(s) i neeed is there another place i should try?

Comment

I want to say i read somewhere (maybe here) about some one replacing the tint that was burned off ....is that possible?

BTW when i am booting on to win7 the upper right corner is blue like it should be but as you look diagonal to the left all the way to the lower left corner it gets darker and darker grreen till it is all dark green in the lower left.

if TSM does not have the part(s) i neeed is there another place i should try?
                            I would not know what is possible. If you have a Sony LCD projection that needs an optical block there are several parts that may need to be replaced according to the actual fault.

If you do the work, take the optical block apart and you will see on the components inside and the faults or lack of.. on one or more of the LCD panels. If you decide that you are going to change the panels they require an alignment. NEVER change more than one panel without making the alignment. Then go on to the second panel. TSM may have the parts you need. This has only recently become a service option so I know of no other source.

Comment

Working...
                            X