Solytech SL-9600EPS 600W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solytech SL-9600EPS 600W

Fresh from 80plus testing, I give you the solytech SL-9600EPS. Solytech's most efficient psu, bringing home silver, though it could have easily cleared gold with some slight modifications.

I am now using this psu to power my gaming computer. For one, it has cables that are a bit longer. Two, it is silent. I mean, the fan maybe spins at 400rpm even when I'm running 3dmark06 with a 5000+ dual core and a 9800gt. Not much for a 600W, but enough to make my delta 700W ramp up the fan. Doesn't get hot, a side effect of the higher efficiency.

Anyways, I bought the psu from a seller on ebay who gets them from the 80plus organization. You can tell this may have been modified a bit for efficiency, as the cables are a bit short, not too bad, but short. Also, all the cables are 16 gauge. I mean all of them, from the -12v to the molex connectors and the pci-e connector. Makes it harder to work with the shorter cables.

Speaking of cables, heres what you get with this bad boy. 1 detachable 20+4 pin main connector, 2x 8pin cpu power connectors, 1x 6pin pci-e connector, 4x molex connectors, 1x floppy, 4x sata connectors. Anyways, here's a label shot.

Thats a lot of 20's. Looks pretty honestly rated, no 6,434 amp 5v rail. It can do it all too, according to the 80plus report, and do it with 87.83% efficiency. Under this label is another one, probably for a different model. This label looks like they made it real quick in MSpaint, then slapped it on some other model's case from the factory floor and laminated it with scotch tape. This must be a pretty rare model, maybe the only one in the US, as they don't even have it on their website.

There is that fan I was talking about. Globe fan, usual to see from solytech nowadays. Much better than the no-name fans they use to come with.

Heres a naked shot with one of the 8pin cpu connectors poking in to say hi. Quite favorable looking in there. Under those two big coils for the transient filter are two 1.0uf X caps. Nice. You can't see it in any shot, but the bridge rectifier is a 10A, 600V part bolted to the end of that long primary heatsink.

Typical Yang Chung in solytech. Sigh. Aww well, primaries hardly ever fail. Big'ol PFC coil.

Interesting, Q5 there was removed. Not just removed, but ripped out. The remnants of the legs are still there, as well as the thermal pad. Interesting.

Much different transformer in there than usual solytech ERL-XX-2005 stuff. Looks like one of the transformers used in the Silverstone SST-1500.

Secondary filtering, much better. All teapo. 2x 10v, 3300uf for the 3.3v. 2x 10v, 3300uf for the 5v. 4x 16v, 4700uf for 12v (2 for each rail, those two rails are then separated into two rails each by OCP,) That 12v choke is enormous. Solytech is serious about keeping ripple down on this.

There is the chokes for the 5v and 3.3v, showing off it's indy regulation.

Link for the 80 plus report.

Overall a nice power supply from a company with such a history as Solytech. Did you know that solytech use to be a textile manufacturer until they bought deer computer (at least according to their website before they re-did it)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 370forlife; 02-12-2010, 04:31 PM.

Re: Solytech SL-9600EPS 600W

WOW, looks tough.
    | AMD Phenom II X2 550BE | GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P | GeIL DDR3 Ultra 2x2GB 1600C7 |
    | XFX GTS250 DDR3 512MB | Dell H525EF-00 | Lancool PC-K62 Black | Samsung 2232GW |
    | 2xWD7500AYYS | 2xHD322GJ Raid0 |

Comment

Here is the competition:

CG Black Steel BKS580 580 watts

Attached Files
      Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Is that a fake nichicon on the 12v?

Comment

It seems to be 5V based that crap CG psu.

Comment

Wow! "No Serviceable Components Inside" ... more like "No Components at all Inside"
            My "400W" LIC PSUs aren't even that empty! 580 watts? maybe 58...are those 1 amp diodes on the input side? jeez.....I hope that didn't set you back much

Comment

Geez!!

Those IN4007s on the input .

So they take a 3 dollar can of black spray paint to an old generic gray 80mm case and sell it as a 580W nice.

The 80mm fans should have given it away 120mm is the MINIMUM nowadays.

The last legit PSU I had with 2 80mms was my Antec Smartpower 2.0 500W purchased in 05.

Guess the Chinese will keep making this crap as long as we keep buying it.

Probably because out of all the components during a custom PC build the power supply is the most neglected. My PSU? Sure I have the one that came with the case made by "Hong Kong Flyapart Inc". Thank Toasty for that manufacturer .
              Last edited by Krankshaft; 02-14-2010, 03:00 PM.
              Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

With sales in the low-end department doing so well with cheap units and the low cost of tooling and parts, there's no incentive for improving quality.

If people stopped buying them, they would be forced to do 1 of 2 things:

1. explode into a million pieces and hopefully never make another piece of crap again

2. improve quality

I believe solytech has taken the no. 2 approach from what I've seen. They hopefully will absolve all the models based on their old platforms like the rosewill 350W. They have 200-350W 80plus certified psu's, they just need some OEM's to buy them, but again the average consumer goes "why pay $34.99 for this 350W when I can get this one for $14.99?" *Sigh*

Comment

Originally posted by etnietering
                  I hope that didn't set you back much
                  The CG Black Steel 580 watt psu was given to me by a friend...this weekend.....along with a Bestec ATX-250 12E. The Bestec felt twice as heavy as the Black Steel 580! I don't think the 580 psu is going to be good for much of anythng. So I am going to try a new experiment and put a 5vsb mod on the Bestec using the Infineon ICE3BR4765J chip instead of the DM311. I will start a new thread for this project. I just couldn't resist showing the Black Steel 580 compared to the much better Solytec. And to think....I used to be just as gullable....thinking 580 watts is 580 watts!
                  Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft View Post

The last legit PSU I had with 2 80mms was my Antec Smartpower 2.0 500W purchased in 05.
                    Welp, on my SmartPower 2.0 500W, purchased on December 26, 2005, looks like one of the Fuhjyyu caps just bulged this year!
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by everell View Post
                      Here is the competition:

CG Black Steel BKS580 580 watts

That seems to be a rebranded ChengHai 180W unit:
                      http://www.chkcs.com/en/show.asp?proid=199
                      Current 6.0A(MAX.) At 230Vac;1.2A(MAX.) At 115Vac

Oddly enough the picture of a 350W version on their site looks better than your "580W", with all the input filtering in place with a bridge rectifier, and decently sized transformer:
                      http://www.chkcs.com/UploadFile/UP_20071122112531.jpg
                      http://www.chkcs.com/en/show.asp?proid=204

No idea why it says "internet" on your PCB

Comment

Proves that Solytech has pretty good potential. Too bad they make so much garbage too. I have a pretty good Solytech made unit, (MSI TurboStream 600W) 80 Plus with APFC. I forget what the Primary caps are but all the secondary are Teapo. Still a good PSU

Comment

Working...
                        X