Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

atx-cb800w.this hunk o junk cost somebody their system!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

atx-cb800w.this hunk o junk cost somebody their system!

seems to be an apevia sold by cyberpower.
    its a real loser.a 2004 design that was lousy then.fuhjyyu and capxon.
    but this steaming pile was found in a new build!less than 1 year old.and all killed.17v on +12.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kc8adu; 02-06-2016, 04:22 PM.

Re: atx-cb800w.this hunk o junk cost somebody their system!

What's all that white shit? Dust? Where in hell did it live?

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
      seems to be an apevia sold by ibuypower.
      Low-rent, lying scum. I've heard "stories" before; we won't go there.

Why do I think those yellow capxons look more like fu-joos? More fake capxons- what will they think of next???

(Hint to myself: they are fu-joos!)

That's more like an incomplete (half-baked?) late 70's design- if there was summed feedback on +5 and +12, it should've cut back. Whereas when feedback is taken only from +5, everything else runs away if the thing "kicks harder" to bring a low +5 (from bad caps?) back up...

Result= +/-12 runs away, (also -5, if used), and magamp (if used) sees excessive input voltage. Another deer than ran away...

"Free wit' da case, yo- it's all good. My homies tell me that all power supplies are the same anyway, so why ya not be chill?"

That HDD wasn't "chill," I can guarantee it!
      Last edited by kaboom; 02-06-2016, 03:08 PM.
      "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
      Originally posted by shango066
      All style and no substance.
      Originally posted by smashstuff30
      guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
      guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

seems this turd(whole system) is from cyberpower.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
          seems to be an apevia sold by cyberpower.
          its a real loser.a 2004 design that was lousy then.fuhjyyu and capxon.
          but this steaming pile was found in a new build!less than 1 year old.and all killed.17v on +12.
          Wow, 17V on the 12V rail?!?!

Component-wise, this PSU doesn't seem all that bad (minus the caps, of course). Probably good enough for 300-350 Watts if it was designed well. But I guess it wasn't.

Any idea what the PWM chip was? And supervisory IC (if any?)
          Most newer half-bridge PSUs use SG6105 or 7500/494 with TPS3510 and both will shut down in most cases with an over-voltage on any rail.

Seriously, it's 2016 already. The half-bridge design has been around since the 70's and well used in the 80's and 90's. It's so basic, it is laughable today. How the hell do you mess that up?! Even a Deer won't do that bad.

*edit*
          I see. It has a 7500 PWM and Welltrend WT7510 supervisory IC. It's supposed to shut down with anything above 13.9V on the 12V rail (not that 13.9V is any good for your hardware... but still loads better than 17V). And it didn't!

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
          Why do I think those yellow capxons look more like fu-joos? More fake capxons- what will they think of next???
          I think Apevia had those CapXon and Fuhjyyu caps as a custom order with yellow sleeves. Fuhjyyu always have a "Y" vent. I've seen pictures of other Apevia units as well. They often have caps with different vents and from different brands, but all in the same color. So I wouldn't call those CapXon caps Fuhjyyu. Actually, if that was true, that'd be nice. I'll take a Fuhjyyu any day over CapXon and take CapXon any day over GSC/Evercon/Sacon/Elcon/Samcon.

By the way, I just made it to 5678 posts. Woo-hoo! Special number, make a wish.
          (Okay, totally irrelevant, I know )
          Last edited by momaka; 02-06-2016, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
            I think Apevia had those CapXon and Fuhjyyu caps as a custom order with yellow sleeves. Fuhjyyu always have a "Y" vent. I've seen pictures of other Apevia units as well. They often have caps with different vents and from different brands, but all in the same color. So I wouldn't call those CapXon caps Fuhjyyu. Actually, if that was true, that'd be nice. I'll take a Fuhjyyu any day over CapXon and take CapXon any day over GSC/Evercon/Sacon/Elcon/Samcon.
            Evercon? Yup, funny... (not)
            I know "con" is short for condenser, but when they changed their name from GSC and/or added Evercon to the pile, whichever you prefer, someone had to realize the double meaning. One of those intentional coincidences...

Originally posted by momaka View Post
            By the way, I just made it to 5678 posts. Woo-hoo! Special number, make a wish.
            (Okay, totally irrelevant, I know )
            The Three Stooges like to play on/with 6-7/8.

Moe: "What a fever- I must have a-hundred-and-six-and-seven-eighths!
            (nyuk-nyuk-nyuk)
            Last edited by kaboom; 02-07-2016, 01:25 AM.
            "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

the +5,+3.3 have a big coil and a single cap.open of course.the47@50 fuhjyyu is also open.
              would not surprise me if ovp,ocp were disabled too.

Comment

That 7510 supervisory chip should have caught the overvoltage condition on the 12 volt rail. Makes me think the 7510 chip is dead. I have seen 7510 chip failure when the two transistor 5vsb went overvoltage and killed the 7510. What voltage does the 5vsb measure?
                Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Originally posted by everell View Post
                  That 7510 supervisory chip should have caught the overvoltage condition on the 12 volt rail. Makes me think the 7510 chip is dead. I have seen 7510 chip failure when the two transistor 5vsb went overvoltage and killed the 7510. What voltage does the 5vsb measure?
                  I know who we can ask:

"pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

ugh, i hate cyberpowerpc/ibuypower the worst oem garbage... people think they are getting such a cool system but the typical dell/hp/lenovo/gateway systems are a better deal and better built too!

Comment

I know "con" is short for condenser, but when they changed their name from GSC and/or added Evercon to the pile, whichever you prefer, someone had to realize the double meaning. One of those intentional coincidences...
                      It's like other things such as the Mitsubishi pajero.

Or here in Germany, bavaria to be precise there was an 'incident' with the "Blaskapelle Unterroth"...
                      Well, you have to see that to believe that someone used THAT sentence for a brass band advertise...

Comment

Originally posted by everell View Post
                        Makes me think the 7510 chip is dead. I have seen 7510 chip failure when the two transistor 5vsb went overvoltage and killed the 7510.
                        I concur.
                        kc8adu indeed mentioned that a 47 uF 50V cap was open. I would assume that is for the 5VSB.

If not, I think it is also possible that the WT7510 could have failed from the open cap(s) on the output rail(s). If the 5V cap goes open circuit, I think that Weltrend IC could see some serious ripple and voltage spikes - possibly well above its maximum rated. Same goes for the 12V rail cap, which is even more likely to have gone O/C due to being under more stress.

Lol, I always thought the same thing too.

The Three Stooges like to play on/with 6-7/8.

Moe: "What a fever- I must have a-hundred-and-six-and-seven-eighths!
                        (nyuk-nyuk-nyuk)
                        Well, my nickname really is Mo/Moe... so this makes total sense now.
                        Last edited by momaka; 02-08-2016, 07:21 PM.

Comment

"Slap" happy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ZgVRJ-H8U

"pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

Is it just that plastic thingy, or are the input caps bulging?
                            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                            Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

"Free wit' da case, yo- it's all good. My homies tell me that all power supplies are the same anyway, so why ya not be chill?"

That HDD wasn't "chill," I can guarantee it!
                              lol. no offense to your friends but if they are that obtuse about psus perhaps it is time to make them learn a lesson they will never forget and hit them where it hurts: their wallet. if their hard drives ever take a "chill", hit them with a 3 or 4 figure sum for data recovery. "now your wallet aint chill, homie! what did i tell you about power supplies?!"

Comment

Working...
                              X