Samsung Plasma PN64D7000 White picture with sparkling pixels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung Plasma PN64D7000 White picture with sparkling pixels

I've been browsing this site for a few days but thought I would register to be able to see all the pictures you folks posted. After not being able to find quite the same issue as my TV, I've decided to post.

I bought my Samsung Plasma PN64D7000 in 2012 (almost 3 years to the day of this issue occurring). The TV was working fine in the morning and when I came home from work all of a sudden it looked like the attached Pictures 1 and 2. The best way for me to describe it is a very white washed picture, with every pixel visible from close, and ~15-40% of them sparkling green and red. As you can see from the pictures, skin tone can not be distinguished.

I've included a few pictures of the open TV but Cannikin, here, does a much better job of all the boards.

I've checked the capacitors (visually) on the boards and none of them are bulging. I've also checked the two fuses next to the power inlet and they give me a reading (0.3-0.6).
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung Plasma PN64D7000 White picture with sparkling pixels

Hmm--Looks like summit to do with X-SUS side of things....

Firstly though, Its worth checking all the various supply voltages such as Vs, Va, VSC, Ve etc.....
    --They are marked on the back of the panel on a paper tag-the value each one should be....
    TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
    http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
    PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

Alastair, I figured that I will need to check these. I don't know what to do. I have a multimeter but I've never meaningfully used it. the voltages are listed in picture 3 of my post.

VA 55
      VSC -197
      VA 217
      Ve 93

Can you walk me through it or send me a link to a video/instructions?

Comment

Set meter to dc volts.
        Black probe on chassis.

Vs, va test point located on power supply.

Vsc (Vscan) located on ysus
        Ve located on XMain.

Voltages should match panel sticker.

Comment

TV plugged in? Is it ok that the tv is laying on my bed while i do this?

Comment

Yes tv plugged in. Be careful not to fall into the set there are some high voltages in there

Comment

I have a working power supply board, X main and x buffer I ordered for my pn64D7000. didn't need them -- My problem was the Y main board. PM if your interested.

Comment

So I checked my voltages finally. The sticker voltages are:
                Va 55
                Vsc -197
                Vs 217
                Ve 93

The measured voltages are:
                Va 55
                Vsc -199
                Vs 219
                Ve ?

I turned down the Vs voltage to 217 to match the sticker. The Vsc (VSCAN) voltage is 2 volts off so I don't know if that is the problem. Also I don't know how to change that

I could not find the Ve test point. I see Vb test point and SVC_VS and SVC_XOUT on the X-main board. Maybe you can tell from the pictures I posted? Also on the X-main to the right of the Vb I see a white dial that can be rotated with a Philips head screw driver, leading me to believe that maybe that is the Ve?

Comment

For some reason for the 2011-2012 plasmas Samsung decided to use Vb instead of Ve... It's the same voltage just with a different name. So check that instead of Ve
                  Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                  For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

tom just wanted to say you are a great member of this forum, i have learned alot from you, glad to meet you.

Comment

Just checked Vb.. 95 volts

So Ve and Vsc are both off by 2 volts each

Comment

Is the white "dial" in the picture to adjust Ve (aka Vb) voltage? I want to ask before attempting to move this dial.
                        Attached Files

Comment

2 volts shouldnt result in the picture being like they way it is.

Comment

Yea, agreed. Worst might be a slightly off image, but not something this bad. There's a realistic tolerance of about 10V on Vsc and Ve, and 3V on Vs and Va.
                            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

So if its not voltage, what's my next troubleshooting step??

Before I opened up the TV I thought it was going to be as simple as a bad cap due to the sparkles (which is how I ended up on this site). I'm hoping that the trouble isn't something that I need to call in a professional!

Comment

Most likely, it's the X-main.

It's $24 on ShopJimmy. http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn9...main-board.htm

I've got one quick test you can try if you like. Check the voltage across the cap highlighted in the blue box. Should be about half the Vs voltage or around 80-120V.

If it's low, get the X-main from there, you can be pretty sure...
                                If it's NOT low... I'd still get the X-main if you are OK with taking a $24 risk to fix a 64" TV (I would, myself, given that plasmas are now dead technology & represent the best image quality you could get. Only OLED available now. )
                                Attached Files

Comment

Tom I'm more than willing to risk the $24. I'll check the forum for info on how to's, but if you beat me to it:

How do I check voltage across the capacitor?
                                  (Multimeter setting, tv on or off, what not to touch, etc? - I've been warned not to touch anything metal while the tv is on or shortly after, so I just want to ask before doing anything unsafe)

Comment

The TV is on for this test. You want to put the red probe on one lead of the cap and the black on the other. It doesn't matter which way around you put the leads. Set the meter to the 200V DC range, with probes in Volt and COM and tell us what you get.

Comment

Tom,

The reading on those caps is 14.9-15.2

Comment

Ok, then your X-main is definitely not working right.

Comment

Working...
                                        X