Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My latest repair, an LG 55LS4600. You could say Christmas came a little early!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My latest repair, an LG 55LS4600. You could say Christmas came a little early!

I got this one this morning. The guy said his kid poured a glass of water down the screen and something got fried, and it's been in his storage locker for about 2 years. Was only 3 months old when it happened. I honestly figured it was just a bad panel and the guy was blaming his kid. But, it would appear that he was correct. When I first opened it, I did the routine checks for TAB failure. Flexing the panel didn't work. Disconnecting the right side ribbon cable from the Tcon did. One side came to life. Getting to the panel buffer boards was very easy. In fact, I've never had a TV where they were this easy to get to. The metal frame, which holds the panel, was 4 separate pieces and the top could be removed without disturbing the rest. I always knew there was something I liked about LG.

The first pic is what I had when I started. Just a blank screen. Second pic is the corrosion damage caused by the water. I had to pull 5 caps from the left side board to identify them. All said and done, I replaced 5 bad caps and 6 open 100Ω resistors. Now, as I said though, aside from the resistors, I first took from the good side. I wish I would have taken a pic of what I first saw when testing my repair with only the right side ribbon cable connected. It didn't look good. It was a bunch of vertical lines. I thought for sure the panel was bad. I almost gave up, but I thought maybe the Tcon may have been damaged too, so I continued. Having no place local to buy replacement caps, I resorted to pulling them from scrap boards, mostly buffers. I have a box full of them which I someday plan to recover gold from (probably only need about 1000 more to make it worth it, lol). Anyway, the resistors were easy to find. The caps, not so easy. I pulled about 100 to get the 5 I needed. Well, to be fair, I had to find 7 because I dropped 2. About 4 hours later, still better than waiting 3-5 days for mail order, I connected the left side ribbon cable, plugged it in, and the snow on the screen brought an instant smile to my face. Strange how it will work with the right side disconnected, but not with the left disconnected. Anytime I fix a TV and it's bigger than my current one, and of equivalent or better quality, I upgrade. It's kind of like a tradition with me. And actually, not just with TVs. Almost everything I own came to me broken. My last upgrade, to a 47" LG, was about a year ago. Only problem now is the resolution is too high for my old laptop, which I use for streaming. Works with my good laptop, but I don't like the cord going across the room. I may have to get one of those Roku things, or a streaming BlueRay Player.
    Attached Files
    ------------signature starts here------------

Re: My latest repair, an LG 55LS4600. You could say Christmas came a little early!

Man you got lucky! Great save! Congrats!

what a horrible design. Having the tab bonds and tcon on the bottom of the TV now on the newer ones but for your sake more power to you!
    Last edited by freakaftr8; 12-14-2014, 11:20 PM.
    Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Re: My latest repair, an LG 55LS4600. You could say Christmas came a little early!

Thanks! I've seen so many people here with their lucky finds, I didn't think I was ever going to find mine. Patience pays off. And as a bonus, my remote from my old LG works for this.

Comment

Great job!
        Never stop learning
        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Thanks! I just hope the caps I salvaged are rated high enough. That's the only thing about salvaging smd parts, you don't know their voltage rating. But, if they do eventually fail, I'll order new ones based on whatever voltage is supplied to the panel. So far, so good though.

Comment

Just noticed your edit Freakafter8, yes, I was thinking the same thing about the tab bonds on the bottom. Quite honestly, that gave me a bit of a shock when I first got it going, because I had forgotten it was upside down, and the words were upside down.

Comment

Haha

Comment

I just realized I got my left and right sides mixed up, because it was upside down while I was working on it. It was the left side which was damaged. I'm a stickler for accuracy and I won't be able to sleep at night if I don't correct myself.

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post

what a horrible design. Having the tab bonds and tcon on the bottom of the TV now on the newer ones but for your sake more power to you!
                  Nah--Not really!

When they are at the top of the panel--They are exposed to the full heat of all the backlight tubes, and get pretty hot--possibly causing the tab-bond failures, AS-15 and T-Con short life due to the heat....

At the bottom,--they still get warm--but not half as hot!

Its only when some idiot pours fluid/cleans the screen WRONGLY there are issues like this!
                  TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
                  http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
                  PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

This is very true. A plus side to the design.

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair E View Post
                      Nah--Not really!

When they are at the top of the panel--They are exposed to the full heat of all the backlight tubes, and get pretty hot--possibly causing the tab-bond failures, AS-15 and T-Con short life due to the heat....

At the bottom,--they still get warm--but not half as hot!

Its only when some idiot pours fluid/cleans the screen WRONGLY there are issues like this!
                      I was actually thinking that same thing. Of course, the LED ones don't get as hot as the old CCFL ones did either.

Comment

Windex is not your friend!

Comment

I always tell people to spray the cloth, not the TV.

Comment

+1
                            Never stop learning
                            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

For the vast majority of dirt on a screen, you do not need any kind of solvent. Just get a microfibre cloth and you can clean most screens easily with no fluid. You do need to keep the cloth itself clean though.
                              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I use a microfiber cloth, which I hold it under warm water and then I twist it very well. I "wash" the TV and with another dry one, I go over until it is dry.
                                So, the best place for the tabs, would be on the side

Comment

Originally posted by tibimakai View Post
                                  So, the best place for the tabs, would be on the side
                                  Or, the best place for the TV would be out of the reach of a toddler.

I actually use an old cotton T-shirt and Windex vinegar. Works good and doesn't seem to hurt anything.

Comment

Working...
                                  X