Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I re-cap my Abit IC7-MAX 3?

Hello all,

I think my IC7-MAX3 may be on it's way out. Although 2 or 3 caps are bulging and one has leaked, it still works fine. There are 5 suspect caps altogether, all of the same type/spec (1000 uF 10V).

I did find an old thread with discussion about this board here:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14718

And this image from the above thread shows the suspect caps:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...9&d=1306414325

I don't really want to replace the caps for fear of killing the board, but I suppose it's only a matter of time before the caps start to give me trouble?

Before I found this forum I bought some Panasonic FM caps with the correct specs in case I start getting problems, but after reading the thread I mentioned above it's not clear if they will be suitable or not.

So should I have a go, and would the caps I have be acceptable? I cant find caps from other manufacturers that have been mentioned as being suitable unless I buy from Chinese ebay sellers, which I'm weary of doing.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Should I re-cap my Abit IC7-MAX 3?

The FMs will do fine.
    Replace only when you start to get crashes in applications or memtest says your memory modules are faulty. Those capacitors are related to memory voltage, if they fail memory will be unstable or send corrupted data crashing apps.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
      Replace only when you start to get crashes in applications or memtest says your memory modules are faulty.
      100% False.

See this thread as to why not to wait....

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=211
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

+1. Replace them now before the board goes up in smoke.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. Luckily I have invested in a new PC so I can continue to surf without risking my old PC/MB. Time to get all the other bits I need to do the re-capping and start practicing!

Comment

I'm just about ready to recap the board, but before I start, can anyone confirm that the round solder joint at the top in the photo I've attached is not connected to the trace visible on the back side of the board?

I also found another cap (marked 6.3 v 1000 uF A0410 105 degrees) that's bulging, so I've ordered more of the caps that I already got (10 v 1000 uF). There are 14 or 15 more of the same kind on the board, but they all look fine, so I'll leave them alone and keep an eye on them. I don't want to push my luck too much!
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by pinknoise71 View Post
              I'm just about ready to recap the board, but before I start, can anyone confirm that the round solder joint at the top in the photo I've attached is not connected to the trace visible on the back side of the board?
              It's not. It's probably connected on the other side

Originally posted by pinknoise71 View Post
              There are 14 or 15 more of the same kind on the board, but they all look fine, so I'll leave them alone and keep an eye on them. I don't want to push my luck too much!
              That's a big no-no when recapping a board. Caps can and do fail with no visible signs. If you only replace the obviously failed ones, the replacements will then have to take the stress on their own, rather than being able to share it with the other caps in the circuit, which will kill them. Even if they haven't yet failed, they won't be far behind.
              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I just got my hand on this same motherboard. Too bad no backplate. Oh and 478 is pretty useless now a days. Also the damn nb fan quit
                Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                  That's a big no-no when recapping a board. Caps can and do fail with no visible signs. If you only replace the obviously failed ones, the replacements will then have to take the stress on their own, rather than being able to share it with the other caps in the circuit, which will kill them. Even if they haven't yet failed, they won't be far behind.

Thanks for the reply c_hegge.

I was hoping that would not be the case, but I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and recap the lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                    I just got my hand on this same motherboard. Too bad no backplate. Oh and 478 is pretty useless now a days. Also the damn nb fan quit
                    Shouldn't the backplate be standard ATX, which is part of the case?

My NB fan also failed, but the board ran fine without it. Even so, I replaced the fan with a standard 40mm fan. Had to bend the heatsink fins a little to get the screws to grip well.

I agree it is a little slow by today's standards, but still useful for me, so worth trying to resurrect.

Comment

no that sucker has all kinds of custom connectors on the back, including the VRM fan, which mine, somehow still works
                      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Working...
                      X