This Antec Neo HE550 is a lot worse off than i thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Antec Neo HE550 is a lot worse off than i thought

This is the same PSU I recently posted in the PSU build quality thread. I got it for free and the computer shop cut off all the wires. I originally only saw one bad cap but when I took the PCB out, it looks like there are some other things wrong with it.

Looks like something here started to burn

This was the piece of plastic that was in between the secondary coils and heatsink from the picture above.....that thing got HOT!

Here's the modular plugin board, doesn't look too good

Soldering is meh but doesn't look like anything got too hot under here

What do you guys think happened? You'd think this thing would shut itself down before it got that hot, considering it has SCP, UVP, OPP, OCP, and OVP

Re: This Antec Neo HE550 is a lot worse off than i thought

With no OTP, though, it won't shut off from overheating.

That coil behind the bad cap looks like it is really roasted.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Think it's a goner?

Comment

You could probably save it, since the PCB doesn't look damaged. You'd have to replace the coil and caps, and remove any glue.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
          You could probably save it, since the PCB doesn't look damaged. You'd have to replace the coil and caps, and remove any glue.
          I think it could be saved too, sometimes when a cap goes it will overstress the filter coils.

EDIT: Oh, and remove all that yucky Evil Brown Glue
          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

So do you think in that top picture, nothing is fried, the glue was just going conductive? And when I get home I'll check to see if the coil is damaged. I've seen coils painted black before Surprisingly, the rectifiers on the secondary aren't burned. But then again, those things can handle insane heat.

What about the modular board? Should I just clean that gunk off it?

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
              So do you think in that top picture, nothing is fried, the glue was just going conductive? And when I get home I'll check to see if the coil is damaged. I've seen coils painted black before Surprisingly, the rectifiers on the secondary aren't burned. But then again, those things can handle insane heat.

What about the modular board? Should I just clean that gunk off it?
              Thats just leftover flux.
              Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

From it getting hot?

Comment

From it getting hot?
                  No, the residual flux is from the soldering process.
                  Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

What should I use to clean it off?

Comment

What should I use to clean it off?
                      I usually just scrape it off. The darker parts a more brittle from heat. They wil break easily
                      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Working...
                      X