Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VA902b Shakey jittery image

Hi,

Newbie here, I have a viewsonic VA902b monitor that powers on and shows video output, but the screen looks shakey, jittery, like electrical interference. I chacked all cords and connections and replaced cords, all without resolution. Is this possibly a bad capacitor problem?

Re: VA902b Shakey jittery image

Originally posted by blues View Post
    Is this possibly a bad capacitor problem?
    Yes, it could be. Take apart the monitor and have a look. Even if it is not, try reseating and cleaning every connector.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I followed your advice, but still experience a problem. None of the caps look bloated or leaking to me. Any suggestions of where to start? I have a 40W iron and a multi-meter. I have attached some pictures, I hope they are clear enough and that I have followed the requirments for uploading.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi - you have su'scon caps on the power board which is possibly the cause of unsteady voltages. Also on the back of the power board can you check the joints where the mains plug is - it just looks a bit odd in the picture - perhaps you can do a close up.
        I dont know if you have worked on open boards before but there are voltages in the region of 300-400 volts so you need to be careful.
        First can you measure the voltages at the connector at the top right in pic 2 and post your results. Then do it again with it all set up and working - take care that boards do not touch and you are working on a non conductive surface.
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Thanks. Total newbie here, wondering how to test with my multi-meter. Pins 1 & 2 are VCC5V. Do I touch the other end to GND pin 6? Also more pics attached.
          Attached Files

Comment

Yes - you can use 3 or 6 as ground

Set meter on Volts DC - red (positive )probe on pin being tested Black (Negative) probe on gnd.
            Thanks for pics - mains pins look ok - trick of the light.
            Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

Help can't find replacement cap for 100 uF 450V, anyone?

Comment

Wouldnt worry about replacing if it doesnt look bulged or leaky the big ones are usually ok.
                If it becomes necessary we will come up with a suitable alternative.

Comment

Help can't find replacement cap for 100 uF 450V, anyone?
                  Lots over at digikey, but before replacing any caps, what are your voltage readings?
                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Pins 1 & 2 are VCC5V. Do I touch the other end to GND pin 6?
                    I prefer to use a ground screw closest to the measurement point. That way, there is no risk of both probes touching and possibly shorting out something.
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

If you find no issues with the power board, then I would suggest replacing the 6 caps on your logic board. Since these caps have a higher capacitance valure and are physically smaller, they tend to dry out more quickly.

Comment

Pins 1 and 2 both read .0005 or was it .005 for both pins with capacitor in-line and power off. I have not yet getermined the readings with power due to my poor lighting. I bought a decent worklamp today, hoping to get readings tonight.

Comment

Circled in red are two voltage regulators.

1) Measure the DC voltage of bottom 3 pins (ignore the fat tab). Use a ground screw on the logic board for ground (black probe).

2) Report the part number and your measurements like

Part number = AL1117-33
                          pin 1 = 0.0
                          pin 2 = 3.3
                          pin 3 = 5.0
                          Attached Files
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Do I need to connect this board to the power board and plug in AC to measure the DC here?

Comment

Do I need to connect this board to the power board and plug in AC to measure the DC here?
                              Yes connect both boards. All voltage measurements require the lcd to be plugged in and powered on.
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

They are marked as follows:

Part number AL1117-33 (position of component is below, slightly left)
                                pin 3 = 5
                                pin 2 = 3
                                pin 1 = 0

Part number AS1117-18 (position of component is above)
                                Pin 3 = 5
                                pin 2 = 1
                                pin 1 = 0

The values are read on an analog meter and are not exact. Taken with power on the board.

Comment

Sorry, didn't get your response until after I posted. Do you need me to re-take them with the LCD wires connected?

Comment

They are marked as follows:

pin 3 = 5
                                    pin 2 = 3
                                    pin 1 = 0

Pin 3 = 5
                                    pin 2 = 1
                                    pin 1 = 0

The values are read on an analog meter and are not exact. Taken with power on the board.
                                    Voltage regulators are usually +/- 1% of their stated output. The suffix in the AL1117- part number denotes the expected output voltage. For example, AS1117-18 denotes 1.8V DC output.

With your analog multimeter readings, both regulators would be bad.

It would help to redo the readings with a digital multimeter.
                                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

pin 3 = 5.10
                                      pin 2 = 3.30
                                      pin 1 = 0.00

Pin 3 = 5.05
                                      pin 2 = 1.24
                                      pin 1 = 0.00

power was on all connectors connected.

Comment

Pin 3 = 5.05
                                        pin 2 = 1.24
                                        pin 1 = 0.00
                                        AS1117-18 is definitely bad and probably the cause of your shaky images.

The fixed 1.8V regulator is a highly used part so it should be available at your local favourite electronics store. If you have old junk boards, you can look there and reuse the old one. I found one on my old sound card.

Otherwise, order online, but ordering from digikey, mouser, etc is going to cost you $8 USD in just shipping/handling.
                                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                        X