How to repair this simple broken PCB? [Pics]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to repair this simple broken PCB? [Pics]

Can anyone maybe help me in repairing this little Brick Power adapters PCB. I was actually going to replace a bad cap on it but missed a screw and ended up breaking the PCB in 3 pieces.

It looks pretty simple and I was thinking since I am pretty good with the soldering iron I could maybe solder some wires to the exposed connections on the back.

its for my speakers, and output is 15v and 3A (about 45 watts?)

repairable? I have already used super glue and glued it back the best I could.

sorry for the crappy images, my camera is no good
    Last edited by newtoCaps101; 08-19-2011, 11:23 AM.

Re: How to repair this simple broken PCB? [Pics]

A few millimeters around the cracks, scrape the green stuff off to expose the copper layer. Then use plenty of flux and cover it. Next, add solder to the mix. Done. You can also use a few pieces of wire or resistor terminals or something, if the solder doesn't want to bridge across the cracks by itself.

But if you used enough flux and if your iron is hot enough, you should be able to do without wire. Beware - the opposite is also true - if the iron is too hot then the solder will tend to stick to the iron not the board. Then again, that is a single sided power board with large traces so it's fairly difficult to damage with a soldering iron, so feel free to experiment till you get it right. Use a multimeter with a buzzer to check continuity.
    Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 08-19-2011, 11:27 AM.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Lol..thanks for showing me the trick, I am good but not that good, .. could you please maybe show me how to do it with the wires if I fail to do it the flux way? its broken in 3 different pieces(as you can see from the first pic) and i have never seen such a pcb, i dont se any lines that connect, all the green stuff. so not sure which terminals and points should I connect. they are all in the green lol. so a bit confused if i was to do with the wire method, which terminals would i bridge.
      Last edited by newtoCaps101; 08-19-2011, 11:33 AM.

Comment

The light green is copper underneath, the dark green is the spacing between the traces. So basically, scrape of the soldermask (the green above the copper layer) around the cracks as Th3_uN1Qu3 suggested and follow his instructions and it should work.

Comment

Maybe you need your eyes checked... because this PCB is about as simple as they get. The traces (well, they're more like "lands" on this one) are connected by the components on the other side, duh.

Anyway, here's how you would do it if you wanted to just use wire.
          Attached Files
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Originally posted by digge View Post
            The light green is copper underneath, the dark green is the spacing between the traces. So basically, scrape of the soldermask (the green above the copper layer) around the cracks as Th3_uN1Qu3 suggested and follow his instructions and it should work.
            Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
            Maybe you need your eyes checked... because this PCB is about as simple as they get. The traces (well, they're more like "lands" on this one) are connected by the components on the other side, duh.

Anyway, here's how you would do it if you wanted to just use wire.
            okay got it! thanks a whole lot uN1Qu3, and thanks digge. I'll go and give that a try now.

sorry for being such a noob, i know its a simple pcb design but I have never seen something like this before, you know the pcbs i saw had the dark lines as the trace and the green stuff as spacing so it got to my head and i got confused.

thanks again guys, i never knew it would be this easy. i will try both methods!

Comment

oh and by the way just one more question, I'm not sure if you guys noticed, but the pcb is broken from this part aswell. so is there any other joints i need to make here?

thanks again!

Comment

I got that already covered in my drawing.

Comment

Yey. The adapter is fixed! I managed to scrape off a little to expose the copper and then applied flux and then some solder and tada! it formed the bridge!. Just for good mesure I also used some wire across the terminals. Just to be sure The noise is still there on my speakers, but I think its because of the 6700uF 25V cap(?) I think its there to filter the electricity and since its a bit bulged, its not doing its job properly,(?) I'll replace it and see from there

Thanks guys! and thanks uN1Qu3
                  Last edited by newtoCaps101; 08-19-2011, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Hi all,
                    I know this is an old post and there may not be anyone watching it no more but here goes anyway...
                    I have one of these PSUs which is exhibiting the same cap fault as described here and I'd like to replace the 6700uF but I can't even open the PSU case to get at it!
                    Does anyone have any tips on how to do this please?
                    JF

Comment

If you need to open one of those psus that is sealed together, just use a Dremel or a saw. That cap can be replaced with an 6700uF or higher cap as long as the size is right and the voltage. Just dont cut too deep, you may damage some components in there
                      I can put text here?!

Comment

Oh and make sure you use a 105c rated capacitor.
                        I can put text here?!

Comment

Most often it's possible to open them up just by squeezing them by the corners .. get some pliers with adjustable opening and squeeze it.

Another option is to use a knife blade and hammer on the edge :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddY530JiTQI

If you can't find a 6700uF capacitor (or it's too expensive) you can just use 2 x 3300-4700uF (25-35v) in parallel. Actually, a single 4700-5600uF might also be good enough.

If they don't fit inside, you could just put them after the jack of the thing you power with this thing, it won't make a difference (or one in the adapter and one in the device).

In the end, it's an unregulated linear power supply, so it will output a DC voltage that will vary within a range, let's say 13-16v depending on load. The more capacitance there, the more the voltage will stay at a higher threshold, it won't dip as low during load.

The device you power thing thing with probably also has some internal voltage regulator to get a lower smooth fixed DC voltage, or if it's just for the amplifier IC,how accurate the voltage is doesn't really matter, only if you turn the volume way up.
                          Last edited by mariushm; 03-26-2013, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your incredibly swift and helpful responses DJduck & mariushm!
                            I managed to break into the PSU using a blade as in the YouTube video, fantastic!
                            I've also managed to find a 6800uf 25V 105deg replacement cap of similar size for the one that has gone bad and once it's arrived I should be able to get this thing powering my desktop amplifier again.
                            Thanks once again for all your help!

Comment

New cap fitted, PSU tested, amplifier all working again!
                              Peachy!
                              Thanks again guys, have a good Easter!
                              JF

Comment

Doesn't anybody epoxy the cracks before bridging the lands?

Comment

Working...
                                X