Tagan TG330-U01 Worth recapping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tagan TG330-U01 Worth recapping?

A girl said her computer did not power up any more. It turned out to be the psu, so I got it.

It's a Tagan TG330-U01.

No 5vsb, full of bulging caps...

What do you think?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by goodpsusearch; 12-10-2010, 01:46 PM.

Re: Tagan TG330-U01 Worth recapping?

It's a topower all right. Hard to say. I would try to get it working again, but thats me.

Comment

Looks like older design half bridge with 494 pwm chip for driver. Big heat sinks, in its favor. But heat sinks so big it looks like they might be impeding the air flow. If you have the time, it looks like an interesting project. How could you improve it? Can you trace the circuitry and provide us some diagrams. All kinds of possibilities. If I were going to fix it up, I think I would cut a hole in the back and add a second fan to push air in same direction as the other. Does it have the two transistor 5vsb circuit, or a pwm chip for the 5vsb circuit? It has components on top of the pc board, so probably does not have many surface mount components. That will make it easier to work on.
      Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

It already has 2 fans. If you see the label of the psu they are advertising how silent it is, so I think that we have the reason it failed. Nearly every cap on it is Jenpo and nearly every cap on it is bulged!

So, if I decide to engage with it I will recap and fanmod it so that it is staying less quiet but cooler.

But the fact that 5vsb doesn't come on at all is frightening me. Last time that happened was with an antec smart power and the end of the project was fireworks!

Comment

Antec SmartPower has 2 transistor design for 5vsb circuit. I have had several power supplies with the 2 transistor design that ended up in fireworks! When they work they work great....but when they don't the results are "explosive". For this reason, if I intend to keep the power supply....or even spend much time on it.....one thing I like to do is GUT that 2 transistor circuit and replace it with a pwm chip. I have tried several, but have had the best results...and most consistent results.....with the DM311 chip. The mod is not that difficult. I can give some help if you like.

Right now I have a Rosewill RP-550 with dead 5vsb. It had the two transistor circuit, but is now gutted. It was not working when I got the psu, and blew up like a sparkler on the 4th of July when I attempted fixing it. So now the 5vsb circuit is gutted. I have installed the DM311 mod, but have determined that the transformer is bad. Once I find a replacement transformer, I will finish fixing it. Finding a replacement transformer, if bad, will slow things down. But the task is not impossible.
          Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

The extra board seems to be Active PFC.

Maybe the problem lies there.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
              The extra board seems to be Active PFC.
              Maybe the problem lies there.
              It's possible.
              Check if the primary high voltage caps are charging up (be careful!). If not, then you've found the problem, or part of it anyways.

The PSU seems decent. I think it's worth recapping if you can get it working.

Comment

Thank you for your answer momaka.

PFC Board Part list:

KBU608 bridge rectifier
                L6562N PFC Controller
                2x IRFP460A Power Mosfet
                UF1006CT 10A Rectifier
                There is also a Jenpo 400V 22uF cap that is completely dried. The esr meter showed 0uF and infinite esr.

The primary caps are 2x Panasonic 200V 470uF UP 85°C and are both dead!!! One of them shows 2.5uF...

The fuse is blown and the NTC thermistor is missing a piece of it.

It is definitely worth repairing. But I am afraid it will be a very difficult project..

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                  It is definitely worth repairing. But I am afraid it will be a very difficult project..
                  Not necessarily.

Before you even attempt the repair it, do this first: disconnect the PFC board and check resistance between the positive and negative of the primary capacitors on the main PSU board. If you get a short circuit, then this could indeed be a more difficult project. If not, test PFC diode and PFC transistors. If they test okay, put some new primary caps (preferably junk ones, in case PFC misbehaves), a fuse, and a thermistor, then try powering it again. Judging by the dead fuse, though, PFC is probably shot.

Personally I wouldn't even bother to troubleshoot the PFC board. If you ask me, just gut the PFC altogether and wire the PSU like a normal non-PFC PSU (i.e., same as cheap PSUs). Well you might have to keep the PFC board and rewire it since there is no spot for a bridge rectifier on the main PSU board (let me know if you need help with that). Actually, that would be pretty easy to do - all it needs is a few components removed and some jumper wire added here and there (now I sound like one of those cheap PSU manufacturers, don't I? ).
                  Last edited by momaka; 12-12-2010, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Blown fuse??? That is why your 5vsb is dead.

Need to put that ohmmeter on the two FETs. If one or both are shorted, you probably have a short in the booster coil. From your pictures, the coil looks like it has a burned area. Do you see any signs of burning on the coil, or is it just my imagination and the way I am looking at it?

If the coil is bad, the psu will continue to blow fuses and FETs in the APFC circuit until you do something about the coil. If you have a ring tester, it will tell you if the coil is shorted. If you have access to an inductance meter, the coil should read 500 uHy to 1000 uHy.

Comment

I don't have access to an inductance meter.

The good news: The pfc board is connected with 4 cables to the psu, where the bridge rectifier normally would be, so I can remove those cables and place a bridge rectifier there. This will help testing the psu.

Now the bad news: I do get a short from the main transistors of the power supply

They are 2x 2SC2625

Comment

It looks like it is a half bridge unit. Try replacing the primary caps, remove the pfc board, replace the primary switchers with some cheap 13007's or 13009's from a cheap psu and see if it fires up.

Comment

Is there such compatibility between transistors?

Comment

Why not?
                            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I searched the forum and found that about that Tagan psu:

Tagan TG330-U01 (Topower Electronics Co Ltd, China):

- Not immediately dangerous, but safety level is very low.
                              - Air/surface clearance on transformed T4(TD00 SES-TR) primary and secondary coils are under 4mm/5mm.
                              - measured minimum clearance 1.3mm from output of primary coil to secondary coil.
                              - The protective tubing of the primary coil output is too short
                              - Transformer cannot handle voltage test 3000Vac/1min between the output of the primary coil and the secondary coil arcing happened at 1800v

Not directly dangerous but security level is very low
                              No reported accidents.

Conclusion: The importer has been notified to remove the product from market. The product may be returned [for refund I assume] as defective to the place of purchase [in Finland].
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ighlight=Tagan

The transformer seems to be dangerous.

What do you think?

Comment

It's fine to recap. But don't buy it.

Comment

Unless you're using a welder on the same circuit it i wouldn't worry.
                                  Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                  Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                  A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Part list of main pcb:
                                    K2645 @5vsb
                                    TL3842 pwm controller for 5vsb
                                    2x 2SC2625 shorted
                                    AMC34063AM I don't know what this is for...maybe -5v or -12v?

secondary:
                                    SB10100 @5vsb
                                    L7905CV @ -5v
                                    2X SBL3040PT @ 5V
                                    SB2040CT & P80NE03L-06 power mosfet @ 3.3V
                                    2X F12C20 @ 12V

daughterboard:
                                    TL494CN main pwm controller
                                    LM339N voltage comparator for OVP

fan controller:
                                    UTC D882

Something is very wrong with that power supply. I took out the Panasonic 200V 470uF UP 85°C caps and I tested them again with the ESR/Capacity meter. They are indeed completely dried up. What can I say? If a psu manages to kill Pannies, then maybe it gets too hot, or the active pfc raises the voltage too much.

It's not easy to find replacement caps that fit in that psu. They should be 25mm diameter. And quite expensive of course..

Another problem would be the shorted 2SC2625s, a common problem with that psu as they say: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...2SC2625&page=2

Even the small caps on that psu have failed.. It needs a full recap and this is possible only if heatsinks are removed...

Because of all the above, and the Finnish Safety Authority report about that power supply I decided it's not worth fixing.

Thank you all for your help anyway!

Comment

Working...
                                    X