Measuring Voltages in a LCD monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Measuring Voltages in a LCD monitor

Hi guys tried doing a search of this topic before making this post, not sure if the question has been asked before.

I'm aware checking for proper voltage can be crucial when repairing LCD's just not totally clear on the proper way to do it.

If you have the LCD disassembled.. where do you measure for the 12volt rail etc? What is the procedure? Example: when checking voltages to the logic board.. do you keep the connector between the power/inverter board on or do you do remove it?

I read about putting the negative lead to a ground screw on the chassis, that much I understand.. just not sure where to insert the red lead.. do you insert it in the cable from the power board that goes to the logic board?

Thanks again guys!
    www.bcrelectronics.ca

Re: Measuring Voltages in a LCD monitor

Originally posted by Solder Boy View Post
    I'm aware checking for proper voltage can be crucial when repairing LCD's just not totally clear on the proper way to do it.
    I don't know if my way is "proper" especially for a person that has only been using a multimeter for 6 months, but I'll describe what I do.

If you have the LCD disassembled.. where do you measure for the 12volt rail etc? What is the procedure? Example: when checking voltages to the logic board.. do you keep the connector between the power/inverter board on or do you do remove it?
    I look for the 12V (or secondary voltages) on the connector between the power board and logic board. I find it easiest to measure at the connector. I keep the boards connected.

You can also find 12V DC on the dual diodes.

I read about putting the negative lead to a ground screw on the chassis, that much I understand.. just not sure where to insert the red lead.. do you insert it in the cable from the power board that goes to the logic board?
    For GND, I usually put my black probe on the ground screw that is closest to the connector.

For the red probe, it depends. If the backside is facing me, it is pretty easy to just put the red probe on the various solder points off the connector.

If the frontside is facing me, I'll usually use the connectors themselves.

Hopefully that makes sense. If not, please ask clarification questions.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

PS. For mains voltage measurement, I *was* using 2 hands (one for red probe and one for black probe) to measure the main filter capacitor, but I recently got some aligator clips/leads and will using these in the future.

So I will clip on the aligator leads to the main filter capacitor and then hook up to my multimeter. Put it on V DC, double check my connections and only then, hit the power bar on button.

With this new method, I'm less likely to get shocked if something goes really bad.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Lol unless your dmm blows up!

Comment

Working...
        X