Carvin PA620 - Need help finding replacment caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carvin PA620 - Need help finding replacment caps

The amp we use to play music in auto shop at school crapped out the other day. It works but there is a loud arcing sound when you turn it on, and there is buzzing in the output after about 5 minutes of operation. The auto teacher and I are buddies, so he asked me if I could take a look at it for him. I brought it home and opened it up. BADCAPS!! They smell like shit and all splooged out the bottom. Sadly, this amplifier is Made In USA. Too bad the caps aren't!!!

Here's all the cap values - can you guys help me figure out what series Panasonic caps I should replace them with? All the caps have the Carvin name on them and are marked 105C. There is no series denotation.

4700uf 50v x2
    1000uf 25v x6

Would Panny FC work?

Re: Carvin PA620 - Need help finding replacment caps

Hey guys. Had to get the order in about half an hour ago, so I ended up going with Panny FC for the 1000uf caps and Nichicon VZ (105c) for the 4700uf caps.

Comment

FC are probably okay but with original specs can't say for sure.
      I'd use Panny FM just to be covered.
      Price usually isn't much different.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Caps came in. The install went without issue with my new 40w station I just got. The amplifier came up beautifully and sounds better than before (bass seems to have more of a punch to it). Those Panny FCs look sexy compared to the crappy old caps that were in there. Interesting observation: the new Pannys (exact same uf and voltage) were the same diameter as the old caps, but almost twice the height. Anyway, I'm glad to see this amp running properly again. Its a very nice, sturdy amplifier and the build quality is very good sans the caps. Hopefully it will still be bumping tunes down in auto long after I leave High School.
        Last edited by weirdlookinguy; 12-11-2009, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy
          Interesting observation: the new Pannys (exact same uf and voltage) were the same diameter as the old caps, but almost twice the height.
          The original caps were probably over-rated.

I worked on a Carvin amp not too long ago for my girlfriend's brother, just replacing some worn out 1/4" jacks. I was not too impressed with the build quality, there was a good reason why the jacks broke. The amp was relatively new. While I was in there, I noticed a bunch of CrapXon caps... he didn't want me to replace them, but I told him he knows where to find me when he runs into problems again

Comment

Working...
          X