Your favourite PSU OEM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your favourite PSU OEM

Title says it all. Who's you're favourite OEM?

Personally, I'd say Delta, with Hipro 2nd and Seasonic 3rd
    Delta
    0%
    Seasonic
    0%
    Hipro/Chicony
    0%
    Enermax
    0%
    CWT
    0%
    Flextronics
    0%
    SuperFlower
    0%
    FSP
    0%
    Enhance
    0%
    Other
    0%
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Re: Your favourite PSU OEM

I'm going with Delta (and therein Newton Power) as well. Seasonic, Lite-on, and Hipro/Chicony are usually very good but I see even underpar capacitors last longer in Delta power supplies than I do in any other power supply using any other design, even on the +5VSB (which is usually where Hipro and Lite-ons have bloated capacitors, along with Seasonic... not Delta unless we're talking CapXon... not to say it can't happen, I saw a thread here where a bloated Taicon PJ was spotted in a DPS-300KB-1A). Delta PSUs also almost always have extremely impeccable soldering and like Hipro and Lite-on are usually very overbuilt with very thick heatsinks, massive coils and rectifiers, very good cooling, low ripple and good voltage regulation, etc. It's hard to beat them. The rest of the OEMs on the listing are more or less okay, including the older FSP units and Enhance units, though I don't really think any of them are quite as good as Delta, Hipro, and Lite-on.

Comment

If money is no object Win-Tact (OEM for PCP&C Turbo Cool) or Zippy/Emacs. For "normal" PSUs I'd probably say Delta with Seasonic as a close seccond.

Comment

Astec used to be best until they stopped making power supplies. Now I think it's more or less a tie between Delta and Seasonic.

Comment

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory3&reid=300

Flextronics. They hardly make power supplies for use in computers, but when they do...

The worst regulated 12V rail was looking at 0.17% regulation over a load of 1200W.

And it did that all while delivering 80plus platinum levels of efficiency.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife View Post
            http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory3&reid=300

Flextronics. They hardly make power supplies for use in computers, but when they do...

The worst regulated 12V rail was looking at 0.17% regulation over a load of 1200W.

And it did that all while delivering 80plus platinum levels of efficiency.
            Wow, that is indeed an incredible power supply! I hope they make some lower wattage units that would be awesome.

I voted Delta...I just love how they build their power supplies, and even their lowest end units will do the job and still be reliable. I really like FSP too but they just use too many horrible caps even in their higher end units

Comment

Originally posted by cheapie View Post
              Astec used to be best until they stopped making power supplies. Now I think it's more or less a tie between Delta and Seasonic.
              Anytime I've looked inside an Astec, it was beyond obvious that they knew their stuff.

I like the older Hipros- they're easy to work on, with room to add "bigger" parts easily.

Deltas are nice too. An XT clone I had years ago had 100w Delta PS, which was rather large and "conservative" for its rating.

Now, the Bestecs usually seen in HPs and other "consumer" computers, while a decent design, suffer from the glue problem! It takes longer to remove that junk than it does to recap some of them... As long as they don't have a "15V" standby, they're somewhat tolerable.
              "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
              Originally posted by shango066
              All style and no substance.
              Originally posted by smashstuff30
              guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
              guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

I'd have to say Delta, although I am rather impressed with my recently reactivated Seasonic SS-200HE from 1989, which I have had sitting around untouched and unusable for 15+ years, as it did not have a power button. After I grabbed an AT power button from my junk pile, I ripped off the original cables and connected the Seasonic's cables to the newly found button. Expecting magic smoke, flying caps or a tripped breaker, I connected a CD-ROM drive to the PSU, stood back and powered it up. The fan wiggled around but wouldn't spin, and the drive wouldn't open. After powering off the PSU, the fan spun until the caps drained. After three failed attempts, I went outside and grabbed a second CD-ROM drive for extra load, plugged it into another Molex connector and hit the power button. The fan came on, the drives operated perfectly, then the fan started making the dry bearing buzz and slowed up. After a couple more power-on attempts, the fan spun up to full speed without buzzing, with my multimeter showing a steady 11.39V and 5.05V through another unused Molex connector. The beast lives!

Admittedly, the primary caps are Rubycon and the secondary is all Panasonic (with the triangular Matsushita logo).

This is the PSU prior to reactivation: Post 244241

Comment

Astec is part of Emerson Network Power (as is Artesyn, which was the product of the merger of Computer Products and Zytec). Astec has been doing power supplies since the late 70s (that I know of), and they were (are?) solid. The P/Ss for Apple II+ computers (43W, IIRC) were made by Astec.
                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
                    Now, the Bestecs usually seen in HPs and other "consumer" computers, while a decent design, suffer from the glue problem! It takes longer to remove that junk than it does to recap some of them... As long as they don't have a "15V" standby, they're somewhat tolerable.
                    Not anymore. All of the ones I've seen from the last 3 years or so have had white rubbery glue, not the brown conductive glue.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I like the older Hipros- they're easy to work on, with room to add "bigger" parts easily.
                      +1
                      Unlike Delta and some other brands, their older units often don't use SMD components, so they are indeed very easy to work on or repair if something does go bad. I also like their design - very simple, yet it does the job fine and lasts for a very long time.

Yeah tell me about it. Had to do an older ATX-300 12Z series (Rev: CD) last week, and it all went fine until it was time to remove the caps. Whoever ASSembled that PSU at the factory must have really enjoyed their job that day jizzing the conductive glue all over the place.

Other than that, their designs are decent indeed. For the one I recapped, I had nothing but Nichicon HZ and Panasonic FL caps (used, from Xbox 360) so I used that for the recap. Not only did the PSU work fine, but the the voltages were perfectly stable and there was no hissing/wining as I thought there may be.

Originally posted by c_hegge
                      Not anymore. All of the ones I've seen from the last 3 years or so have had white rubbery glue, not the brown conductive glue.
                      Seems so indeed. The second ATX-300 I opened last week (this one was a 12E unit, Rev: D1R) had that, along with Chemicon KZE caps for the 5VSB and 12V rail. Of course, Bestec had to be cheap, so they used horribly undersized rectifiers and heat sinks. The 5V rail was the worst - label stated it was rated for 30A, but the rectifier for it was only a single 20A device. Couple this with single-transistor forward topology, and you're looking at 14A continuous (maybe 16A peak, and 20A on a good day).

Comment

The only Hipros and Bestecs I frequently come across are the HP-D3057F3H and the ATX-300-12Z. Both are used interchangeably in many HP and Compaq PCs. The Hipro HP-D3057F3H uses much bigger heat sinks, and seems to have the better soldering of the two, but the 300-12Z actually has beefier silicon (8A vs 7A switcher, 40A vs 32A 12V capacity, and 30A vs 20A 3.3V). Interestingly, though, the Hipro will do 450W on the load tester and shut down when things get too hairy. The Bestec, on the other hand, blew the switcher when I asked for 400W - 50W less than the Hipro.

The Bestec also doesn't seem to kill the caps. The Hipro usually uses Teapo caps throughout, which fail after 2-3 years (although I have been finding a few with NCC KZE lately). The Bestec uses CapXon and OST, and they usually last 5+ years without any problems, even though both of those are generally considered to be inferior to Teapo.

Overall, both are decent, but, after a recap, I'd pick the 3057F3H over the 300-12Z, mainly because it can handle a little extra power and has OPP.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                          Seems so indeed. The second ATX-300 I opened last week (this one was a 12E unit, Rev: D1R) had that, along with Chemicon KZE caps for the 5VSB and 12V rail. Of course, Bestec had to be cheap, so they used horribly undersized rectifiers and heat sinks. The 5V rail was the worst - label stated it was rated for 30A, but the rectifier for it was only a single 20A device. Couple this with single-transistor forward topology, and you're looking at 14A continuous (maybe 16A peak, and 20A on a good day).
                          ATX-300-12E? Figures... those units are built for eMachines! Talk about cheap! If that isn't bad enough they also use 20 gauge wires. Blech. But here I thought Bestec was at least an honest company. However, something else to take to consideration is the fact that the "rating" on those rectifiers are often at very high case temperatures... 100*C if not higher... they can continuously do their rating up to those temperatures... add a decent heatsink and good airflow and you may be looking at 2/3rds or even half that temperature which makes quite the difference, even in forward topology. Not to say Bestec isn't lying. If they used a TO-3P or TO-247 part, though, since it covers more of the heatsink and is closer to the benefits of the top of the heatsink I think they benefit more than TO-220 parts do from improved cooling. Their ability to conduct heat way from the package is rather better.

That being said, in forward topology, if it's a TO-220, 20A part, I don't see it as capable of any more than 17-18A. If it's a TO-3P/TO-247 part, maybe it could be closer to 21-23A. But it also depends on how close to the fan it is. My Hipro "300W", built for eMachines/Gateway, isn't much better (HP-P3527F3). The label says 32A for +5V but I only see a MBR3045PT (Lite-on semiconductor, TO-247AD/TO-3P) part there and the PSU is also single forward... have to say that's better than that Bestec, though.... maybe it could do 32A but just barely (another thing to consider is the fan revving up to compensate for increased heat output). It's confusing, though, in the Bestec ATX-300-12E repair thread LDSishere posted, it looks like they used a TO-247 30A or 40A part for the +5V rail in an earlier revision of the 12E. Unless what you saw is actually on the +12V rail? The +12V rail is somewhat close to the +5V rail in Bestecs, I believe. Last but not least, you can't really blame them for using weaker rectifiers on the +5V and +3.3V rails... modern designs should have the most power allotted to +12V.

The only Hipros and Bestecs I frequently come across are the HP-D3057F3H and the ATX-300-12Z. Both are used interchangeably in many HP and Compaq PCs. The Hipro HP-D3057F3H uses much bigger heat sinks, and seems to have the better soldering of the two, but the 300-12Z actually has beefier silicon (8A vs 7A switcher)
                          I actually noticed that the switcher the HP-D3057F3H uses (FQAF11N90C) has a lower on resistance than the one the Bestec ATX-300-12Z uses (STW9NK90Z) - 1.1 ohms vs. 1.3 ohms max, and lower power dissipation as well (120W vs. 160W). I think that's why the Hipro did better in your review, combined with the beefier heatsinks. I have seen some other HP-D3057F3Hs instead use a 2SK2611 part from Toshiba, and that has a much higher on resistance, 1.4 ohms (and 150W power dissipation)... funnily enough, the Hipro I spoke of earlier has that exact Bestec switcher (STW9NK90Z) as well.

The Bestec also doesn't seem to kill the caps. The Hipro usually uses Teapo caps throughout, which fail after 2-3 years (although I have been finding a few with NCC KZE lately). The Bestec uses CapXon and OST, and they usually last 5+ years without any problems, even though both of those are generally considered to be inferior to Teapo.
                          I have observed exactly the opposite. CapXons fail very quickly in any unit, including Bestec. They are that bad. The only Teapo I see fail often are ones very close to coils, heatsinks, resistors, diodes, or on +5VSB, or Teapos that just get poor airflow. OST.... they don't do that well but they might last a few years with good cooling. I would not expect Taiwanese capacitors to last long on +5VSB... the ripple current and the flyback and linear regulated load is just too much for them, especially without airflow, even worse than the full load of the main rails.
                          Last edited by Wester547; 04-23-2013, 03:42 AM.

Comment

...lower power dissipation as well (120W vs. 160W)...
                            That's not the nominal power dissipation, it's the maximum safe power dissipation at a case temperature of 25°C. So a higher number is better.

I'd attribute the survival of the Hipro to the bigger heatsinks.
                            Last edited by Shocker; 04-23-2013, 09:53 AM.

Comment

I like Bestecs....I think they are easy to recap (minus the glue) most of the caps I see in them are Jamicon, and I actually see few of them ever bulging but I still replace them. A lot of Bestec's I've seen them at least pust KZE on the 5VSB. I too see more bulged caps in Hipro's even though they are built better, it seems though that Hipro's run a little hotter

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker View Post
                                That's not the nominal power dissipation, it's the maximum safe power dissipation at a case temperature of 25°C. So a higher number is better.
                                I know. That's how much power can be safely passed off as heat, but I think that's a good thing and a bad thing... especially high power dissipation alludes that a device gets hot easily. Well, at first I thought higher dissipation was better for sure, but I say that because I noticed a number of 80+ certified PSUs in some reviews use switchers that have power dissipation rated much lower than what we're talking about here.
                                Last edited by Wester547; 04-23-2013, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Check it out, looks like this Intel branded power supply is made by Flextronics. Unfortunately I cannot open it up and void the warranty because it is in a server for a client....

It looks very well built but the cap choice is poor....270uF 450V Elite cap on the primary, the rest are Taicon and CapXon....Taicon aren't terrible but CapXon in a server PSU? Whyyyyyy that is a low 5V rating but shouldn't matter much in this server
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Intel sure do make some garbage nowadays, hey?

Comment

I'm not sure this is the complete measure.
                                      Example: Corsair contracts Seasonic to build 10,000 pc psu's at a certain spec then contracts a cheaper build, once their (Corsair) brand reputation is established. You can spec lifetime, thus capacitor quality and running temperature as part of the design to last warranty period.
                                      I'm saying some OEM's will build high or med quality, whatever their customer asks for. Or maybe it's component quality vs build quality?

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                                        If that isn't bad enough they also use 20 gauge wires.
                                        Yes that too.

It's confusing, though, in the Bestec ATX-300-12E repair thread LDSishere posted, it looks like they used a TO-247 30A or 40A part for the +5V rail in an earlier revision of the 12E. Unless what you saw is actually on the +12V rail? The +12V rail is somewhat close to the +5V rail in Bestecs, I believe.
                                        The one I fixed had all 20A parts, except the 12V rail, which actually had a 16A fast recovery rectifier and yet the 12V rail was rated for 15A. If this was half-bridge topology, I would say that rating would be okay - maybe a bit close to the edge, but still okay. In single-forward topology, no way you'll get 15A out of a 16A rectifier (continuously, for an extended period of time, that is).

Last but not least, you can't really blame them for using weaker rectifiers on the +5V and +3.3V rails... modern designs should have the most power allotted to +12V.
                                        That's no excuse to overrate the 3.3V and 5V rails on the label though. This is something only cheap PSUs do, and looks like Bestec is heading down that way. Honestly, when I opened that ATX-300-12E, it looked only a few notches above a complete Deer PSU.

I have observed exactly the opposite. CapXons fail very quickly in any unit, including Bestec. They are that bad. The only Teapo I see fail often are ones very close to coils, heatsinks, resistors, diodes, or on +5VSB, or Teapos that just get poor airflow.
                                        +1
                                        CapXon I often see failed, and usually no more than a few years of service. Teapo, on the other hand, I've seen in very old PSUs do just fine.
                                        Last edited by momaka; 04-24-2013, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X