Asrock Dual SATA II --- Replaced some Ost caps and other tweaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asrock Dual SATA II --- Replaced some Ost caps and other tweaks

I have bought a new board, due to the reasonable price drop for socket 939 cpu`s. As i am currently using a Radeon X800 AGP card, i decided to want native SATA support and an current chipset. So i went for the Asrock DS, wich will oc a little too (wich i can`t do with my older setup, an Semperon 3100 64bit due to Mianboard limitations).
    Right out of the boxe i recaped the missing big cap within the VRM, even i don`t know about this strange VRM desing. Most VRM`s are usinge equal numbers of caps on all phases, but not the Asrock DS, and many other current Asrock boards. I used an 3300uF MBZ for that.
    Then i figured out, that there are some very small Ost cap ( Ost 1000uF RLP 6.3v) on a little smaller single phase VRM unit, wich i don't know for what it is good for. The silkscreen was obviousely for an large sized cap. So i replaced that cap with an 1500uF Rubycon MCZ too.
    May be i will replace the o/p caps from this unit too, but not ATM.
    All small caps on that board are Ost either RLP or near the PCI-X slot some Ost RLS, wich are probably low esr.
    Near the memory banks, there are an linear regualtion circuit, wich will generat some heat. Those 3 caps are getting all very hot, may be Asrock decided for that reason to use 3 of those Ost caps. In any way, if i will get into any trouble with that board, i will replace them very soon with some oscon or some long life caps. On the 939M SIS board from Asrock, i heave seen one single MCZ cap, wich was placed exatlcy where on the DS those 3 Ost caps are. And it is getting very hot too.
    Above the upper VRM mosfets, there are silscreen for some bigger cearimc caps, wich are not installed. I soldered some 2,2uf caps there. under the CPU soket there are two ceramics missing too. I installed some 2,2uf ceramics in that place.
    On the Audio board there are some small 16v caps missing, may be i install some caps there, as i had experienced some humm with some newer FSP THN-P psu`s in a friends setup.

As usuall, i applied some Arctic silver thermal compound on to the south and northbridge. There was only a very very small ammount there, wich has not even covered the whole cirlce within the chip surface.
    On to the Southbridge, i will probably install an small fan, running at 5v, as in generall this chipset coolers are getting pretty hot on all Asrock boards. this will not make this thing running any faster or oc more, but i don`t like hot chips in my rig.

I tested the system with an AMD Athlon 64 3200 E6 and it will runn without issue up to 2600mhz (HTT of 260mhz). I think after testing with memtest, prime95 and cpustresstest (all from the famouse UBCD) this will my new system, running at 2500mhz.
    If there will be any problem occure, i will replace ALL Ost caps on this board, but forehand i will need to buy a new soldering iron.... (RoHS....)
    From my own experience, those ULI drivers are pretty good, as i have this Ga-K8U 754 board from Gigabyte in my other rig, without any issue. So methinks, if probelms occure, those would be caused by the board, hopefully by the caps, not by the drivers or chipsset.

Re: Asrock Dual SATA II --- Replaced some Ost caps and other tweaks

I think I will order one of these boards for my wife to go with my old 3200 when dual core prices drop. Was planning on at least recapping all the large caps, this one pictured has all chemicon so maybe I will get lucky. After reading your post, I am asking myself why they would have 4 caps on 2 of the phases, but only 3 on that middle one?

http://www.hardwareoc.hu/cikkek/SgtH...y/PICT0131.jpg

Comment

VRM caps are fine metinks (usually all UCC KZG or KZE). But i have no clue, why they are using different cap numbers on each phase. But any way, the mising cap at the second phase is low voltage, e.g there is vcore on it, wheras i expecteing an second 16v vrm input cap. At the first phase from the border, there is only one input cap, the other one is an 6,3v cap, at 5v psu.
      On each phase they have only 3 caps, one 16v input and two 3300uF 6.3v outputcaps.
      The picture is misleading you, as you don`t see the voltage markings. Loock at my picture, forgot to add it.
      But any way, as i can trust my DVM the o/p voltage is roughly stable, the bios reporting is somhow mugged up (according to that, the voltage will severely fluktuate and even go sometimes above 1,5v, with the standard 1,45v vcore).
      Attached Files
      Last edited by gonzo0815; 07-23-2006, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo0815
        But any way, as i can trust my DVM the o/p voltage is roughly stable, the bios reporting is somhow mugged up (according to that, the voltage will severely fluktuate and even go sometimes above 1,5v, with the standard 1,45v vcore).
        I've noticed that's often the case, especially with motherboards of the cheaper brands, such as Asrock or ECS. The voltage measurements are often very coarse in their measurements, only being able to represent Vcore in steps of 0.05-7 V or so. I can see this very obviously in an "emergency" unused computer I have running an ECS K7S5A pro, with a "voltmod" involving a large potentiometer.

PS. Not really relevant, but what is that large marking on the board "FS big" supposed to mean/refer to?
        Last edited by tiresias; 07-23-2006, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tiresias

PS. Not really relevant, but what is that large marking on the board "FS big" supposed to mean/refer to?
          hr hr hr , i noticed it as you mentioned it. But i have no clue for what his could be an abreviation.

Comment

hr hr hr , i noticed it as you mentioned it. But i have no clue for what his could be an abreviation.
            FSB 1G maybe? As in 1 GHz

Comment

I'll share a link to a forum where the guys put that board through it's paces, mods, bios etc etc...

The ASRock 64 Bit Motherboards Forum!
              http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/sis-...=0;DaysPrune=0

They've pretty much covered everything, even what memory and processors work well on the board. Highest I've seen is 9x320 over there.

MD
              Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

I ordered one of these, was studying your drawing. It looks to me like the spot where you added the 3300uf 6.3v rubycon (yellow writing) should of had a 16v cap? The back section there is 12v correct?

If this thing is RoHS compliant, what does that mean for me soldering on it? Make it difficult? I dont care about keeping it RoHS compliant, do I need to do a really good job cleaning out the old solder before applying new solder or will they mix ok?

Comment

I thought the same way, but i messured the voltage. And it was only 5v.
                  The board is lead free soldere, this means you need a decent hot soldering iron, and some leaded solder too , to make the new solderpoints loking like good ones.
                  I used some PB free silver solder (just for fun ). This was a very bad soldering experience, due the solder oxidized very fast (on my unregulated 80w iron, probably way to hot) and won`t get that easy into the hole. My solderpoint are therefor not that neat like with a better iron odr with leaded solder. But i works and the silver solder is very conductive. I used a huge amount of elektronic flux too.
                  But i think those ceramic caps where somhow more important. I have not enough to fit all missed places. I think the mising ceramic cap near this Jmicron SATA2 controler chip could be the cause for some problems with this. there are many reports with problems of this SATA2 port.
                  Last edited by gonzo0815; 08-10-2006, 11:51 AM.

Comment

I got the board, going to install this weekend. It had rubycon on the 12v side and chemicon for output, all the small caps are ost. I decided to leave that be for now. I mounted a 45mm fan on the northbridge just off center so it blew directly on those 3 little caps that you marked as very hot.

Comment

At least add some thermal grease to the northbridge, this is very easy and won`t hurt as long as the board isn`t installed......

Comment

Originally posted by Fatal0E
                        I mounted a 45mm fan on the northbridge
                        At least add some thermal grease to the northbridge
                        My worst act of nitpicking since I joined this forum:

This is a K8 board so... what northbridge?

Comment

- Northbridge: ULi M1695
                          - Southbridge: ULI M1567

http://www.asrock.com/product/939Dual-SATA2.htm

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Originally posted by MD Willington
                            - Northbridge: ULi M1695
                            Heh... yes indeed, I stand corrected... I've grown too used to the thinking that "northbridge" equals "memory controller"

Comment

gonzo0815

Is there any signal at the NB FAN header ? Asrock seems to never stuff this on these boards, you can find the same thing on the Nvidia-6100 based board.

Comment

Yes, all pins or the asociated soldering pads have the bare 12v and ground. But the filter caps are mised on all fan headers, even those wich are polpulated. Somhow silly IMHO. I don`t want to know, what those noise could do there any good.

Comment

Pretty lame of them to not stuff it... I like my biostar, the hardware is good and they stuff the headers!

Comment

Again, theyr on a budget ;-) . You can`t expect a AGP /PCI combo board with all features etc. for 50€. In other words, from any other Vendor you will not get that mutch feature for that price. If i would ned th headers, i would have soldered them in a few minutes in. In clusive filter caps ;-)
                                    And it is obviousely, for some bucks more, there would probably no market for Asrock. Od would you take an Asrock, if you can get e.g. an Asus or Gigabyte instaed?

Comment

Well all 3 started using better caps...

I went with the 6100 chipset and choices in all 4

Asrock - hardware seemed budget <-- no one I know seemed to be buying them...
                                      Biostar - overall better choice, lots of support <-- My #1 choice
                                      Asus - good hardware <-- #2 choice, VM or CSM model
                                      Gigabyte - intial versions were hit or miss <-- local choice at mom & pop store

Comment

Well, on VRM they all are using good caps, bit the other smal caps are usually Ost. At least on Asrock boards.
                                        Duno, if that hurts, but ond the DSII board i think they have used to mutch of them. At least the hot areas could be populated with some higher grad caps. If i have a decent soldering station, i for shure recap every single Ost cap on that board, only to see how this desing compares with good caps. I personally think that this could make a very decent OC'er board.

Well, if i would have a PCI-E card already, i probably haven`t bought that board. Probably i have bought a NF6100 board or may be a calsic NF4 from Gigabyte or Epox.

Comment

Working...
                                        X