Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Cannon iP4850 Printer

Hello all,

My Cannon iP4850 Printer just stopped working. It won't turn on now.

Can you give me some advice please on how to fix it?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Help with Cannon iP4850 Printer

Test all fuses is a good place to start.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Thanks for your reply,

When you say all fuses, I didn't know there was more than one?

I've tried a different power cable.

Heres a pic of the power board, how to I test it?

Last edited by SmartestSmarty; 07-21-2014, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SmartestSmarty View Post
        Thanks for your reply,

When you say all fuses, I didn't know there was more than one?
        Perhaps there isnt - and your picture doesnt help much either alway best to have them in focus.
        What does it say on the two small rectangular boxes - top right
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

Sorry about that, I've changed the original image, hopefully it's a bit clearer now?

The one on the right says: INSFT 2.5 A 250V
          One on the left says: INSFT 2 A 250V

Comment

and there is a third to test at bottom of picture

Comment

The third says INSFT 2.5 A 250V

I have a multimeter, can you explain how to test them please

I also have a soldering iron, so I can replace anything if necessary
              Last edited by SmartestSmarty; 07-21-2014, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Turn the board over and find the solder joints that relate to the fuse.
                Set your meter on ohms 200 and put the probes one on each joint.
                NO power to the board

We also like pictures posted using manage attachments jpgs less the 3mb
                so they are available for future enquirers ( Will dissappear otherwise)
                I have added yours here
                Attached Files
                Last edited by selldoor; 07-21-2014, 03:04 AM.

Comment

OK, i'll keep that in mind for the future.

The reading is quite high and then settles at about 1.0 on all of them. Is that normal?

Comment

Is that 1 ohm or is it "1" on the left of your meter scale meaning OL (open link)

The result should be the same as you get if you touch the probes together
                    What you have may be the result when the probes are apart?

Comment

When the probes are apart it starts with 1 on the very left.

When I touch the probes together I get a reading of 00.8/00.9 on the right.

When testing the solder points I get 01.0 on the right.
                      Last edited by SmartestSmarty; 07-21-2014, 03:30 AM.

Comment

Is this normal?

Comment

Well that seems pretty much bad news - not an easy fix- are all 3 the same?

Next test will verify a couple of things. But may be considered dangerous if you are new to electronics. Ideally you should have someone in the house and use a RCD.

Locate the solder joints relating to that BIG CAP on the bottom of the board.

Set up the board (bottom up) on a non conductive surface -and wedge so it isnt going to move about when you plug it in.
                          Then switch it on.

Set your meter on vDC600 and put a probe on each joint of the big cap
                          DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE . MAINS VOLTAGE !!
                          Last edited by selldoor; 07-21-2014, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                            Well that seems pretty much bad news - not an easy fix- are all 3 the same?

Next test will verify a couple of things. But may be considered dangerous if you are new to electronics. Ideally you should have someone in the house and use a RCD.

Locate the solder joints relating to that BIG CAP on the bottom of the board.

Set up the board (bottom up) on a non conductive surface -and wedge so it isnt going to move about when you plug it in.
                            Then switch it on.

Set your meter on vDC600 and put a probe on each joint of the big cap
                            DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE . MAINS VOLTAGE !!
                            Thanks,

Yes they are all the same.

Any idea what to wedge it with?

Also here's a pic of my meter, I can't find that setting?
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SmartestSmarty View Post
                              When the probes are apart it starts with 1 on the very left.

When I touch the probes together I get a reading of 00.8/00.9 on the right.

When testing the solder points I get 01.0 on the right.
                              Yes - normal - in fact better than some.

When you hold the probes together is measures the resistance of the wire and probe tips - 0.8 in your case.
                              When you test the fuse the resistance of the fuse is actually 0.1 - 0.2 so the total is 1.0. This is something to remember - if you are testing low resistance resistors subtracting the "probe lead resistance" can make quite a difference.

Comment

I retested them, and they all say 00.8 the same as when I touch the probes together.

Comment

Any idea what to wedge it with? Come on !!! If you are using a socket with a switch
                                  set it all up and put a heavy weight on the cable should hold the cable and board down- then switch it on at the socket.
                                  You can do the same if its going live when you plug in - just dont yank the cable.

Somepeople try and do this sort of test with their elbows on the table. and touch the board as lightly as possible. ( Usually working with heavier boards)

Comment

What is the wedge for? Incase you accidentally move it and it touches you? Or when I turn it on is it likely to start moving by itself?

Also, when I touch the probes on the live cap soldering joints, it's not going to melt the handles is it and give me a great big shock?

Also, I can't find the setting you mentioned on my meter?

Comment

Use V flatline 3 dots 1000

It wont move by itself but that board is very light compared to the cable so it could move
                                      then your probes could damage something on the board.
                                      If it sparks you will react and could end up touching the board
                                      If it helps wear rubber gloves and wellies (yes that is a joke)

Probe handles wont melt
                                      Last edited by selldoor; 07-21-2014, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Thanks, have I got the probes in the right terminals? Com and VΩmA

Comment

Working...
                                        X