Xtreme Gear PSAZ-600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Xtreme Gear PSAZ-600

Nice job, those where the minimum load resistor some PSU are kind of a ehh Wells bitches with those, what caps did you use?

Comment

Thanks. I used nichicon PW, Panasonic FC, Rubycon YXF for the little caps. 1200uF 6.3V Chemi-Con KY for 5VSB, 3300uF 10V Rubycon PX for 5V and 3.3V, 2200uF 16V Chemi-Con KYB for 12V, nichicon PW for -12V.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
        You were right! I hooked it up to a system and it powered up no problem. It just didn't have enough load with just a paperclip... Yes it indeed only has that one 20A schottky for 12V.
        Great job, as always!
        Remember those resistors are the minimum load needed for stability at minimal or no load conditions, i wouldn't attempt to explain exactly why they need a minimum load because there are too many things involved and don't even fully comprehend half of them but each design reacts different when changed, some give crazy voltages but stay on (usually crappy ones), others shut down after a couple of seconds or right away as yours.
        If the power distribution from the 12V rails is right this PSU fits a niche where only a couple of amps are needed from the 6-pin PCIe connector to feed a mainstream GPU like GTX 950/1050Ti and that may explain the 20A rectifier in 12V, so you were right, it's great for HTPC.

Comment

Originally posted by SIDMX View Post
          Great job, as always!
          Remember those resistors are the minimum load needed for stability at minimal or no load conditions, i wouldn't attempt to explain exactly why they need a minimum load because there are too many things involved and don't even fully comprehend half of them but each design reacts different when changed, some give crazy voltages but stay on (usually crappy ones), others shut down after a couple of seconds or right away as yours.
          If the power distribution from the 12V rails is right this PSU fits a niche where only a couple of amps are needed from the 6-pin PCIe connector to feed a mainstream GPU like GTX 950/1050Ti and that may explain the 20A rectifier in 12V, so you were right, it's great for HTPC.
          I have heard that some PSUs went kaboom when the didn't have load, and that's why they are there on some PSUs.
          Agreed with you but I will use a 1050 or an Rx 460, less power consumption imagine 65w CPU, 75w GPU, 12w HDD, 20w ram and vrm looses, 12w on fans that's close to 15.33 amps on a part that should not exceed 70% usage and 70% of a 20a part is 14a, or that's what I have heard or read on some places like hardware secrets
          Or something like an r9 270, that's 120w power consumption with peaks at 150w and it only uses one 6pin, I want you guys to know that I respect you and I'm smart enough to know that you know more than me on psus so, I'm just saying not trying to piss you off with my comment
          Last edited by Drack; 01-15-2017, 12:32 PM.

Comment

The reason I began fixing computer power supplies in 2009 is because I wanted to learn what was wrong when they went bad such that computer shops won't repair them, but simply trash and replace. I have come to believe that if you are daring enough to fix just one computer power supply, you have become an expert electronics technician ......... unless the first one you fix is a Bestec ATX-250 12E. That was the first one I fixed and everyone started throwing chairs at me!!! The general opinion was that this model power supply was the worst in existence, a mother board killer, and total trash, certainly not worth fixing. Well......that power supply is still working, powering a computer with AMD cpu (Pentium 3 class). I still use it for playing music, mp3 files, and playing freecell cards. Why throw the psu away, or the "old" dinosaur computer. Still works fine!

Meanwhile, I think my collection in the attic has doubled from the picture I posted some time ago. So..............Pentium4, if you run out of psu's to fix just let me know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

If you have doubled that collection, I'm amazed and impressed! I am mainly after "obscure" PSUs that I have never seen. And believe it or not...I love refurbishing Sun Pro units. Shame they went out of business

Comment

I am mainly after "obscure" PSUs that I have never seen.
                Let me know which "obscure" PSU you have never seen......maybe I have one and can send it to you.
                Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

The first PSU I fixed was a gutless that had no line filtering and a dead fan, changed the fan and added 2 y caps one x and one coil

Comment

Yeah I'd call it a 275W PSU. I don't know why they even bother with the ceramic discs. If you're going to make crap, just leave it completely empty
                    If you update the primary caps to 680uF it can do 350W:
                    Switching transistors are good sized TO-3P D209L, heatsinks are thick enough and designed for 120mm fan cooling and the transformer is real ERL 35.

Originally posted by Drack View Post
                    I think a 30a schottky for 12v rail and it would be usable for a new PC if it doesn't crossload because of the light 5v usage
                    +1

I would absolutely add a 30A schottky rectifier for 12V rail.

I have a Linkworld psu like that in my "for service" pile of power supplies, but I have been too busy to play with it. I remember the metal case was ridiculously thin.
                    Last edited by goodpsusearch; 11-21-2017, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X