The 2016 Operating System Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2016 Operating System Thread

TC, you still play D2? That's amazing Easily one of the best games I've ever played. Way ahead of its time!

I'm running all Windows 7 still. Mostly Pro and Home Edition. Server has Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
      TC, you still play D2? That's amazing Easily one of the best games I've ever played. Way ahead of its time!

I'm running all Windows 7 still. Mostly Pro and Home Edition. Server has Linux.
      I;ve been playing D2 since before its official release, I had a friend that was a beta tester, bootlegged me a copy about 4 months before its release. Then they took pre-orders for the full release, the bonus was getting to play on b.net a month before the rest of the world got the game....and almost 20 years later, I still find items I've never seen before. D3 stunk.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        I;ve been playing D2 since before its official release, I had a friend that was a beta tester, bootlegged me a copy about 4 months before its release. Then they took pre-orders for the full release, the bonus was getting to play on b.net a month before the rest of the world got the game....and almost 20 years later, I still find items I've never seen before. D3 stunk.
        Wow! Lucky you. That must have been pretty neat to watch the game grow up as it did. I definitely prefer the expansion pack. My playing of the game peaked in 2010 but now that we're talking about it I think I'll fire it up I always thought it was funny how on Hell difficulty the ancients were harder than Baal...

D3 was okay, much better after some patches but I really hate the "online only" aspect

Comment

Debian Jessie x64 is my OS of choice, using XFCE as the window manager. I dual boot my main desktop (E5800 based system) with XP just for some old games. GTA San Andreas at the moment

Comment

try it on the latest beta of wine.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              try it on the latest beta of wine.
              It does work quite well, but I don't like installing all those 32 bit libs, or the nVidia drivers

Comment

for me, i kicked the d2 crack habit a long time ago. dont see how constantly spam clicking everything over n over can be fun. there were also other better rpgs coming out at the time.

also, the game was a huge distraction from my studies at the time especially that part about having to log in to keep ur account n chars active. was quite a distraction having to log in during exam study time to keep my stuff from being trashed due to inactivity.

i also didnt know at the time u had to join a game and save n exit to keep ur respective char active as well. so i unknowingly ended up simply logging in to keep my account active but not my chars! i didnt wanna start or join a game, cuz when it starts loading the game world, it gets addictive n you are hooked on the bnet d2 crack for hours...

so i was NOT amused after my exams when i logged in and my chars were invalid or cannot be found or sumthing while at the bnet char select screen. emailed bnet support and figured my chars were del-ed, so i went on and moved on to other (better) rpgs.

everyone was ranting and raving about dnd baldur's gate and icewind dale at the time, so i tried those briefly in a cybercafe but i didnt like those. then later on, i tried dungeon siege and divine divinity and those were just simply great and awesome which i still play occasionally from time to time. i also tried dnd neverwinter nights which i liked also and still play occasionally.

havent played d2 in ages. even if i do play it, its like once in a blue moon. its also offline as well since i also heavily modded the game for more fun. since d2 doesnt allow players to form their own solo parties of multiple chars like other later rpgs like dungeon siege and nwn, i use d2hackit with the auto, follow, game trigger and trainer plugin which allow automation and better automatic control of the non-active player char. btw, none of the above plugins are cheats despite what they may sound. u can still die from a hard hitting boss or in a tough fight. the minions of destruction and ancients fight comes to mind. dont see the appeal of being forced to play one solo char in d2 anymore with ds and nwn.

lastly, oops, sorry for dragging the thread off topic. i think a mod should split the posts about d2 into a separate thread called "the d2 old timers discussion thread" in the off-topic lounge subforum cuz i fear i may have poisoned a lot of ppl by talking about old school millenial games (games that came out in 2000-2005) with my post. guess we should be keeping the boss' os thread clean... second time the mods had to keep the thread clean by splitting off non-related discussion.

Comment

Still using XP on garage and wife's computer but gonna change my main computer to win7 this week. Wish me luck on remembering to save all my data.

Comment

it's worth remembering that throughout history when governments have created too much unemployment they have solved it by cooking up a big war to thin out the people.
                    What do you mean? Are you referring to World War I/II?

Comment

yes, and the vietnam war too.

Comment

yes, and the vietnam war too.
                        Yea, I don't believe this is true, though it is true that World War II came just after the Depression and there was the Holocaust.

Comment

Originally posted by yuhong View Post
                          Yea, I don't believe this is true, though it is true that World War II came just after the Depression and there was the Holocaust.
                          So back to the topic of privacy. Are you talking about government spying and for what reasons do you care?
                          Last edited by yuhong; 10-13-2016, 01:26 AM.

Comment

principle,
                            you stick your nose in my life and i have to break it or cut it off!

who the hell do governments think they are?
                            we ALLOW them to exist - they need to remember that!
                            we dont need them - they need us.

Comment

So on:
                              i'v done the last option, only over a longer range with pro-gear - i can go about 1km into someones router.
                              i'v also proxied through unix servers in uni's

i wouldnt use a commercial vpn because i'm pretty sure they or their owners are mostly compromised.
                              as for tor, what's the point if most of the nodes are government controlled?
                              it's all being logged - specially in germany.
                              What led you to be that paranoid and to believe these claims are true?
                              Last edited by yuhong; 10-13-2016, 03:05 AM.

Comment

it's not paranoia when it's true.

Comment

it's not paranoia when it's true.
                                  I am asking you to prove that it is true.

Comment

Working...
                                  X