Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if you put a solid poly in parallel with a lytic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What if you put a solid poly in parallel with a lytic?

My thinking is the poly would take most of the ripple due to the lower ESR but the lytic could still provide the bulk capacitance.

Does that make sense?

Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Re: What if you put a solid poly in parallel with a lytic?

yes.thats what will happen.a lytic will also do a bit better cleaning up low freq noise/ripple.
    move to a more apropriate forum.
    Last edited by kc8adu; 09-18-2008, 04:03 PM.

Comment

do we here have an idea for extra durable mod?
      although putting 2caps in lace of one doesn't need to be easiest thing to do.

i was putting(pairing) one cap on top of another(top to top. so to say) when i didn't have cap of proper value, and then pull the wires from top one to bottom one.
      esr measurements proved that esr went down, just like one would expect with parallel resistors.

Comment

Thought about something like that before.

Also might help where you have long rows of small diameter caps and you can't find small diameter replacements in low enough esr.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

lead length could be an issue though in a vrm.

Comment

I thought of that.
            I would put poly (whichever cap has lower ESR) on the leads which should help compensate for wire length.

I found the right caps for the project that brought this up anyway now but the question remained on my mind so I asked for future reference.

About previous comment:
            What puzzles me is how with two caps in parallel one would be better at cleaning up low freq and the other better at high freq.
            - What you said makes sense to me but it's contrary to what they teach about caps in parallel and frequency response. When two caps in parallel aren't the same caps that 'rule' goes *poof* and the math gets real nasty.

-

- Dr Seuss
            -
            -

Comment

Working...
            X