Element elefw605 power issue maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Element elefw605 power issue maybe?

Trying to fix my mothers set. It had an issue for a long time where if you turn it off you have to constantly keep pressing power before itd turn back on. That sounded like a main board to me. This is a cheap Chinese set though so i wanted to rule out power issues.

All the voltage checked out okay. I was hearing an audible buzzing from one of the transformers. And on the 12v line it was showing 13 instead of 12. Im not by any means an electrician. Would that be a potiental issue

Re: Element elefw605 power issue maybe?

A preprogrammed eeprom is available for that model.

https://www.shopjimmy.com/element-el...eprom-only.htm

"IMPORTANT:
    These main boards can have multiple failures, in addition to the EEPROM.
    If EEPROM replacement does not repair your board, there are likely additional problems.

Symptoms EEPROM replacement MAY fix:
    - On screen display is stuck on logo screen
    - TV won’t power on with remote or buttons (LED indicator remains same color)
    - TV won’t turn on after being off for 30+ minutes
    - TV shuts off by itself during channel scan or when switching inputs
    - TV turns on and is stuck in color test pattern mode forever
    - TV turns on but there is no backlight (LED indicator shows TV is on but there is no image) "

Comment

Originally posted by neilc6 View Post
      A preprogrammed eeprom is available for that model.

https://www.shopjimmy.com/element-el...eprom-only.htm

"IMPORTANT:
      These main boards can have multiple failures, in addition to the EEPROM.
      If EEPROM replacement does not repair your board, there are likely additional problems.

Symptoms EEPROM replacement MAY fix:
      - On screen display is stuck on logo screen
      - TV won't power on with remote or buttons (LED indicator remains same color)
      - TV won't turn on after being off for 30+ minutes
      - TV shuts off by itself during channel scan or when switching inputs
      - TV turns on and is stuck in color test pattern mode forever
      - TV turns on but there is no backlight (LED indicator shows TV is on but there is no image) "
      Ive read that a lot. The only thing that worries me is that buzzing on the power supply. I unplugged the motherboard and thr backlights dont come on automatically like in some other sets. And when the motherboard is unplugged the buzzing stops.

Comment

It does sound like a bad cap in the power supply, every time you try to turn it on, it charges the weak cap a bit more untill the circuit stays on.
        post some pictures of board

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
          It does sound like a bad cap in the power supply, every time you try to turn it on, it charges the weak cap a bit more untill the circuit stays on.
          post some pictures of board
          Oh how i wish that could be true. I have everything to fix a power supply lol. Ive also been reading how they used cheap caps which go out frequently. It doesnt look bad though. And the fact that i dont see any voltage difference on ps on or bl on when i try to turn it on makes me question the main.

Give me a few ill post pictures and a pin out

Comment

So when you try to turn on the tv, and it does NOT turn on you have +13 volts ?
            There are a couple other voltages like the standby AL+3.3V
            and P-ON+21V
            I believe the 12 volts is actually AMP+13V
            Is this a BA3AU0F0102 3 power supply board?
            Last edited by R_J; 05-18-2019, 10:01 PM.

Comment

The pinout is on the picture. Sorry for the bad handwriting. I was rushed lol

Main
              Tcon
              P-Board
              P-Board Pinout

Comment

So when you try to turn on the tv, and it does NOT turn on you have +13 volts ?
                There are a couple other voltages like the standby AL+3.3V
                and P-ON+21V
                I believe the 12 volts is actually AMP+13V
                Is this a BA3AU0F0102 3 power supply board?
                No voltage changes on any of the pins upon hitting the button. You hear no clicking or anything like that. I did check on the main to be sure the button was working. I see voltage drops when you hit the on button so i think thats working.

I could be way off base here but isnt it not normal to have all the voltages on in standby mode?

Edit also my p on is 5 v not 21!?
                Last edited by Demonata08; 05-18-2019, 10:09 PM. Reason: To avoid triple posting

Comment

Oh that's a megmeet power supply, not the BA3AU0F0102 3
                  I see your 5VSB is only 3 volts, that should be 5 volts I believe but could be wrong

Also can you attach the pictures to the thread
                  Last edited by R_J; 05-18-2019, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Yep. Any knowledge on getting the backlights on? I read some other elements people said a 1k res from 5v to bl on would do it. But that was for different models. I want to be sure.

My moms on a disabled income and this may very well be the only tv she can afford for awhile. Id really like to get it working again

Comment

So what is the problem with the tv? is it just that the backlights don't always come on or is it the complete tv does not always come on?

Comment

I see your 5VSB is only 3 volts, that should be 5 volts I believe but could be wrong

Also can you attach the pictures to the thread
                        Just saw your edit. Heres the pictures
                        Attached Files

Comment

So what is the problem with the tv? is it just that the backlights don't always come on or is it the complete tv does not always come on?
                          It used to be that it took a few tries to get it on. Then it took unplugging it several times. My mom ended up leaving it on for weeks at a time with no issue. But it got turned off when i visited once and it never came on again.

And the TV shows no signs of life when you try to turn it on. It has a red standby light that doesn't blink or change when you hit the on button
                          Last edited by Demonata08; 05-18-2019, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Thats better, Ok so it is the whole tv that won't turn on. Can you post a clear picture of the back of the power supply board, If that standby voltage is only 3 volts and it should be 5 volts that would cause the problem.
                            Last edited by R_J; 05-18-2019, 10:45 PM.

Comment

It does sound like EEPROM problem.
                              Never stop learning
                              Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                              http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Thats better, When the tv is off what is the BL_ON voltage, sometimes it can be either a high or low to to turn them on
                                The voltage doesnt change between on and off. I really believe the tv is immediately trying to turn on when you plug it in though. On the other pboards ive worked on the main 12 and 24v lines are way lower voltage on standby then jump to the correct voltage when on. I could be wrong though

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                                  It does sound like EEPROM problem.
                                  Is there any tricks to possibly knowing a little be more certainly. Ive tried heating the eeprom up with a reflow station. Which ive heard some people do successfully. But i only used 150 f cause i didnt want to damage it if it wasnt the problem.

Comment

You usually cool it with freeze spray (or us canned air duster upside down) then plug the TV into ac outlet and try to turn it on.
                                    Never stop learning
                                    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

It certainly could be the eeprom, I have had luck with freezing the eeprom ic. But you need to unplug the tv, then freeze the eeprom, plug in the tv and try turing it on. The eeprom is read at plugin, after its pluged in heating or freezing usually has no effect

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                                        You usually cool it with freeze spray (or us canned air duster upside down) then plug the TV into ac outlet and try to turn it on.
                                        Never had any experience with freeze sprays before
                                        Plot twist..the freeze sprays cost as much as a new eeprom lol

If i was to try heating it again. How hot would you guys go? Mine goes up to 500.
                                        Last edited by Demonata08; 05-18-2019, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X