Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which nVidia mobo chipsets are bad?

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
    That's because you don't have the right drivers. nForce 4 is solid, except for the LAN when you have the hardware-based firewall enabled. This was known to cause crashing.
    I've tried it in XP with the latest Nvidia drivers, and without. On an affected board it doesn't make one bit of difference which drivers it's running.

How is one supposed to install Windows then?

How is one supposed to run Linux?
    A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

Don't use "latest" official nVidia drivers. There's a forum out there with much better drivers. I don't remember off-hand where it is, try the laptopvideo2go forums, they also have later drivers.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

And who the **** is supposed to know that?

OBTW, it happens in Linux too.

If one needs to use special drivers that exist only on an internet forum something is seriously wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by acstech View Post
          And who the **** is supposed to know that?
          I recall seeing someone mention Omega drivers.

http://www.omegadrivers.net/
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Haha, Omega.... I haven't used that for ten years...
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

If I recall correctly...when installing the official Nvidia drivers, it presents you with a prompt as to whether or not you want to enable active armor, which is the buggy firewall.

Comment

You have to give them props for their audio back in the day though... The only integrated audio where you could pass through DTS.

Comment

When you lost the file [bad CRC] were you using PRM drives?
                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

Possibly. It's been at least a couple years since I messed with it. Even if I was PRM, why would it work fine on a different board (with a different chipset) using the same drive?

At the time, I had the same thought, that it might be the drive. In fact, that's the first thing I tried, that being to swap out drives.

IIRC, it was a 250GB Samsung Spinpoint P series drive.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                      And here I thought Gateway had packed their bags and headed back to the Cow patties.
                      Ya they have, but I had a great 7 years working there.

Comment

I saw a Gateway Netbook/Notebook hybrid a couple of years back.

Comment

Reflow is worth it, reball is not. Reball hurts the eyes unless you buy all the stencils and a real reflow machine.

If you're just heatgunning it, some fix permanently the first time. Some are trouble makers and fail every 30 days or reflow once and then never come back.

Comment

Reflow is worth it, reball is not. Reball hurts the eyes unless you buy all the stencils and a real reflow machine.
                            I don't know what kind of madman would attempt a reball without the stencils and the reflow station. Placing each ball by hand and then heatgunning it, while possible, is like trying to count grains of sand.

Comment

Originally posted by acstech View Post
                              Possibly. It's been at least a couple years since I messed with it. Even if I was PRM, why would it work fine on a different board (with a different chipset) using the same drive?

At the time, I had the same thought, that it might be the drive. In fact, that's the first thing I tried, that being to swap out drives.

IIRC, it was a 250GB Samsung Spinpoint P series drive.
                              For the same reason RAM will work well on one board but not another.
                              Mann-Made Global Warming.
                              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                              -

Comment

Just trust me that I narrowed it down to the board in each instance. It did not happen on just the one board either.

"What has been seen cannot be unseen."

Remain skeptical if you want. I really don't care, nor do I have any point to prove here on the internet. I don't get anything for it. You asked, I shared. Period.

Comment

You have to give them props for their audio back in the day though... The only integrated audio where you could pass through DTS.
                                  My Realtek 889 does DD Live.

Comment

By the way, there are two versions of the 889, one that has more digital output features, I think it's called the 889D, but anyways, there's a new one out 892 which has it.

Comment

By the way, there are two versions of the 889, one that has more digital output features, I think it's called the 889D, but anyways, there's a new one out 892 which has it.
                                      The 889A on my board is basically the 889DL or whatever it's called but only shows up on Gigabyte boards.

Comment

FWIW, My solution to defective nVidia chipsets is to put a fan over the heatsink. It may not fix the defect, but it will probably prolong it's life somewhat.
                                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I don't know what kind of madman would attempt a reball without the stencils and the reflow station.
                                          How about soldering the balls by hand, there are youtube videos but not on anything as big as a chipset/gpu.

Generic stencils are more along the lines of what I'm talking about.

Comment

Working...
                                          X