I have no idea what I did to this poor PSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no idea what I did to this poor PSU

Okay, this thread is probably going to be full of practices for you to laugh at, but everyone needs a little laughter now and then...

Alright.... I was going to replace the power socket on this one PSU, because it had broken one of the tabs and I was afraid I would break the other one eventually, so I ordered a new socket from Mouser. I've been using this PSU with no other issues for a long time, I just finally decided to do something about it (I'm in a fixing mood as of late). So the socket came in today, and I went to install it, but found that the only iron I have here at home is a 15 watt and is woefully underpowered for the job. So I just put the lid back on and went to put it back into service again.

I hooked it up to my recently recapped mobo, with everything else already hooked up, that I have sitting on the floor under my desk. The board is out of the way, under a file drawer that hangs off the one side of the desk, so there's no issues with me stepping on it or things falling into it. This is just a test bed, and having it out of the case makes it all the easier to swap components in and out. ANYWAY...

I hooked the PSU up to the HD and mobo (only two devices), and then went to plug it in. Well, when I plugged it in, I could hear and extremely high-pitched squeal, so I hit the switch on the back of the PSU and it died away with a squelch. Flipped the PSU switch back on, and the noise was not present... okay, I thought, whatever. Turned on the computer, everything fired up, then the power supply said "KAPOW!" and everything shut off. I was underneath the desk still, and saw sparks from somewhere inside the PSU, but couldn't figure it out. So, with my heart pounding as a result of the adrenaline rush you can only get when electricity talks back, I unplugged the PSU from the wall, unhooked it from the computer, and took the case off again.

Only thing I can see is that the fuse is completely demolished. BUT, the power supply does smell burnt from around the two big input caps (both of which are Nippon Chemi-con), but I can't actually _see_ any burnt spots.

Anyway, scared the crap out of me, and I don't even know what happened. As I said, I've been using this PSU for quite a while...

BTW- the PSU is an older Sparkle FSP200-61GT (200w) ATX supply.
    Ludicrous gibs!

Re: I have no idea what I did to this poor PSU

Are you sure you done the job correctly?
    My gaming PC:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
    ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
    PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
    G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
    TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
    WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
    ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
    Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
    Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

I didn't do anything, that's the thing! I opened it up after the iron got good and hot, but I couldn't melt the solder, so I just closed it back up and went about hooking it back up... nothing else was done! It just had a hot iron on the one terminal for about 5 seconds. I double checked and none of the wires are broken, or shorted or anything. I'm quite confused, and a bit scared to hook another PSU up to this mainboard, in case it's the board that's causing the problem :o
      Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Hooked up a POS L&C PSU to the board, and it fired right up and is running normally. *whew*. Still wonder what I did to that poor Sparkle. May it rest in pieces...
        Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

I pulled the popped PSU apart (no longer salvagable, before anyone asks... I cut the leads to get it out. I'm not trusting this thing again) and could find nothing visibly wrong with it, other than the fuse was popped.

The high-pitched noise I initially heard makes me think something internal to the PSU is going out, and it happened to short the PSU internally and pop the fuse. The only discoloration on the board is right below a resistor that was mounted too close to the PCB. But it had been like that before and was still working fine.
          Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Well, a powersupply can just give up like that... I should know

Prolly just poor luck, the load on the PSU is highest when you cold start so then is when it is most likley to fail...
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Snubber resistor failed, caused transistor to oscillate to death?

I've heard of the transistor or chip for the +5Vsb going bad, probably because it's often used 24 hours/day.

Comment

Just as an update, I'm now running the system with an old L&C PSU and it's been working fine. I guess it was just hte PSU's time to go? IT was an older ATX supply....
                Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

often a smps will squeal or tick if overloaded.
                  i would bet on a short or maybe a broken solder joint that was ready to go and the flexing from taking it apart finished it.at the minimum the choppers are shorted and other damage is likely.
                  a good one to autopsy.

Comment

Working...
                  X