Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Motherboards with Bad Capacitors > Abit - Asus - Aopen
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2017, 05:09 AM   #1
kevin!
recapping PCB.
 
kevin!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
City & State: Gerona
My Country: España
Line Voltage: EUR 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 104
Default Asus K8V-X SE Polymod CPU VRM

I have an Asus K8V-X SE board with nippon-chemicon KZG 6.3v 1500 microfarads capacitors defective, I made full VRM the polymod, with capacitors os-with SEPC 820 microfarads 2.5v. At the moment it works very well, I am writing this post with this computer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170814_125633.jpg (166.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20170814_125646.jpg (580.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 20170814_125701.jpg (339.6 KB, 21 views)
__________________
Gaming pc :
AMD FX8350. Motherboard gigabyte ga990fxa-ud5. 12 gb ddr3. Hitachi 500GB, x2 Western Digital 640 GB SATA +WD 320GB, gpu: nVIDIA GTX760 windows 10. PSU corsair RM750I, chassis NZXT S340. Mouse Logitech Laser, keyboard Corsair strafe RGB Cherry RED.

Server PC:
HP 3130MT:
kevin! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:11 AM   #2
momaka
Badcaps Veteran
 
momaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 7,077
Default Re: Asus K8V-X SE Polymod CPU VRM

It's a fairly "modern" motherboard, in terms of VRM design, so it should have no problem with poly caps around the CPU.

I see at least two more free/unpopulated cap spots on the CPU V_core (CPU low side). I like to fill those in when I can. If you got spare poly caps, feel free to do so. Should make the VRM even more quiet in terms of noise - good for overclocking or undervolting (depending if you want to get more performance or low power use - those AMD chips are awesome under-volters - if there is even such a term ).
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:19 AM   #3
Uranium-235
Radioactive
 
Uranium-235's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
City & State: tehas
My Country: US
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 2,873
Default Re: Asus K8V-X SE Polymod CPU VRM

its not "fully" vrm polymodded unless the VRM-IN (the panasonics next to the parallel port) are polymers too

i'm guessing 16v 1500uf?
polys will have to be 16v, and just find the highest uf you can, you won't find 1500
__________________
Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
^If you have datasheets not listed PM me
Uranium-235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:52 AM   #4
stj
Great Sage 齊天大聖
 
stj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
City & State: Europe
My Country: some shithole run by Israeli agents
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 16,225
Default Re: Asus K8V-X SE Polymod CPU VRM

you can, you can go to 2000uf

however, you cant leave it like that - every time you look at it you will want to replace the remaining caps too!
stj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:14 AM   #5
Uranium-235
Radioactive
 
Uranium-235's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
City & State: tehas
My Country: US
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 2,873
Default Re: Asus K8V-X SE Polymod CPU VRM

yeah I stand corrected, you can get higher uf. With some crazy 8A ripple and .08Ω

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...u22R%2fg%3d%3d
Uranium-235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:25 PM   #6
kevin!
recapping PCB.
 
kevin!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
City & State: Gerona
My Country: España
Line Voltage: EUR 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 104
Default Re: Asus K8V-X SE Polymod CPU VRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaka View Post
It's a fairly "modern" motherboard, in terms of VRM design, so it should have no problem with poly caps around the CPU.

I see at least two more free/unpopulated cap spots on the CPU V_core (CPU low side). I like to fill those in when I can. If you got spare poly caps, feel free to do so. Should make the VRM even more quiet in terms of noise - good for overclocking or undervolting (depending if you want to get more performance or low power use - those AMD chips are awesome under-volters - if there is even such a term ).
Ok, I'll put more to compensate for the loss of capacity. So far with the 6 there is no abnormal noise, and the capacitors are cold, and I have it overclocked at 2.4GHz to 1.4v
I think the polymod output worked well, but since you say so I will put more capacitors in the empty areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uranium-235 View Post
its not "fully" vrm polymodded unless the VRM-IN (the panasonics next to the parallel port) are polymers too

i'm guessing 16v 1500uf?
polys will have to be 16v, and just find the highest uf you can, you won't find 1500
The old ones are 6.3v, the rail is going to work less than 1.8v, these sanyos that I put are those used for CPU VRM, I think they are sufficient, although as said the companion would be well put more capacitors in the empty areas.
I have been able to make a stable 2.4GHZ OC to 1.4V on an AMD 3000+ (2GHz stock)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stj View Post
you can, you can go to 2000uf

however, you cant leave it like that - every time you look at it you will want to replace the remaining caps too!
You mean the 16v input?
They are pannys, they are in pretty good condition, I made the polymod to the output of the CPU, excuse me explain badly, so far I have not had a single problem with the computer, I even get a stable 2.4GHz OC.
I think that with 6 of 820 microfarads is enough, I understand that the polymer capacitors equals one of electrolytic of more capacity, for example poly is 820, electrolytic is equivalent to 1500 microfarads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uranium-235 View Post
yeah I stand corrected, you can get higher uf. With some crazy 8A ripple and .08Ω

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...u22R%2fg%3d%3d
The 16v of the rail of 12v I have not changed, they are panny and they are in good conditions, what I replaced was the VRM output faulty nippon chemicons of the CPU, that does not exceed the 1.8v, with the SEPC of 2.5v is sufficient.

These are the capacitors I put on it:
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/SEPC_OS.pdf

Thanks for your tips .

In the area marked in red in the image, they are the ones that change for the Sanyo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1603387-asus-k8v-x-se-1.jpg (581.5 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by kevin!; 08-17-2017 at 09:07 PM..
kevin! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:11 PM   #7
momaka
Badcaps Veteran
 
momaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 7,077
Default Re: Asus K8V-X SE Polymod CPU VRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin! View Post
Ok, I'll put more to compensate for the loss of capacity. So far with the 6 there is no abnormal noise, and the capacitors are cold, and I have it overclocked at 2.4GHz to 1.4v
I think the polymod output worked well, but since you say so I will put more capacitors in the empty areas.
Well, it's not necessariy, like I said. But I like to do it anyways, just because I always tend to have extra caps from Xbox 360 motherboards that are suitable for around the CPU.

2.4 GHz at 1.4V? Nice!
Is the 1.4V on the core stock, or did you reduce it? I have a 3200+ Newcastle core, and it runs on 1.5V stock. I haven't tried over-clocking it much, but when under-volted to 1.325V from the stock 1.55V, I get 7-10C drop in temperatures load-idle temperatures, respectively. So instead of 53C under load, the CPU maxes out at 46-47C.
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:31 AM   #8
kevin!
recapping PCB.
 
kevin!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
City & State: Gerona
My Country: España
Line Voltage: EUR 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 104
Default Re: Asus K8V-X SE Polymod CPU VRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaka View Post
Well, it's not necessariy, like I said. But I like to do it anyways, just because I always tend to have extra caps from Xbox 360 motherboards that are suitable for around the CPU.

2.4 GHz at 1.4V? Nice!
Is the 1.4V on the core stock, or did you reduce it? I have a 3200+ Newcastle core, and it runs on 1.5V stock. I haven't tried over-clocking it much, but when under-volted to 1.325V from the stock 1.55V, I get 7-10C drop in temperatures load-idle temperatures, respectively. So instead of 53C under load, the CPU maxes out at 46-47C.
Yes, I was pleasantly surprised to have overclocked 2.4GHz to 1.4v, I worked, but today I plugged the computer and started to hang, I discovered that it is the fault of the AGP bus, it seems that even if I put it locked at 66MHz, when I go A FSB so high the chipset becomes unstable, It's a shame because the CPU holds up very well and likes very much the overclock, to see if I get a better motherboard and I can give more overclock.
The temperature is maintained above 114 ° in the bios, it seems to me a suitable temperature.
kevin! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:04 PM   #9
ChaosLegionnaire
HC Overclocker
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
City & State: Singapore
My Country: Singapore
Line Voltage: 240VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 1,060
Default Re: Asus K8V-X SE Polymod CPU VRM

did u try to overclock the fsb to more than 250mhz? the via k8t800 pro and non-pro chipsets both have a fsb limitation of around 250-260mhz. any higher makes the chipset unstable even with working pci/agp locks. it is for this reason that ppl preferred nforce chipsets for overclocking. however, the flip side is that nforce is affected by bumpgate.
ChaosLegionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:29 AM   #10
kevin!
recapping PCB.
 
kevin!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
City & State: Gerona
My Country: España
Line Voltage: EUR 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 104
Default Re: Asus K8V-X SE Polymod CPU VRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
did u try to overclock the fsb to more than 250mhz? the via k8t800 pro and non-pro chipsets both have a fsb limitation of around 250-260mhz. any higher makes the chipset unstable even with working pci/agp locks. it is for this reason that ppl preferred nforce chipsets for overclocking. however, the flip side is that nforce is affected by bumpgate.
I had it at 240MHz, at 233MHz it works better.
kevin! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Badcaps.net Technical Forums © 2003 - 2017
Powered by vBulletin ®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:09 PM.

Did you find this forum helpful?