Acer AL2216W, Bad Caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer AL2216W, Bad Caps?

So about a month ago my acer al2216w began to make some high pitched noises and sometimes would go off (black screen). Eventually it went completely black and has not come back on. The high pitched noise has gone now too.

I was just about to throw it out yesterday and i decided to do some googling and see if i could figure out how to replace a part or fix it.

Now though i am not super confident and i'd prefer to buy the full board for ease, this site has swayed me to try and repair it myself.

Im pretty sure my capacitors have died. Please see the pictures in the link, hopefully they are clear enough!

If it is the capacitors which ones would i need?

Any Help is much appreciated.

http://imgur.com/a/BbHMU

Re: Acer AL2216W, Bad Caps?

Hi, and welcome. Yes, those are definitely bad capacitors.
    I'd replace them with Panasonic FM FC or FR series.
    You can get them from digikey.ca they average $.70 to $.90 each, but you'll pay a flat rate shipping charge of $8.00 (overnight)
    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Replace them all. The caps smason suggested are fantastic caps, but if you wanted to spend less money and still get good caps you could get nichicon PW series, or united chemi-con KY series. Make sure to get close with the dimension and height of the caps.

Comment

Originally posted by smason View Post
        Hi, and welcome. Yes, those are definitely bad capacitors.
        I'd replace them with Panasonic FM FC or FR series.
        You can get them from digikey.ca they average $.70 to $.90 each, but you'll pay a flat rate shipping charge of $8.00 (overnight)
        Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
        Replace them all. The caps smason suggested are fantastic caps, but if you wanted to spend less money and still get good caps you could get nichicon PW series, or united chemi-con KY series. Make sure to get close with the dimension and height of the caps.

Thank you i will try to figure out which ones i will need and begin to read/watch some tutorials! Much appreciated.

Comment

Other capacitors to consider...

- Nichicon HE and PS series
          - Rubycon YX and ZL series
          - Panasonic FK series

Comment

Sorry to high jack this thread... but I just created a account and it wouldn't let me create a new thread.... I have an older Panasonic plasma acting up.. I tore it apart and looked for some bad caps... I think I may have found one. But it is not excessively bulged, but does appear to look different then the others on the board... I was hoping some could tell me if this a bad cap... For a comparison I will also post a picture of one that is near it that I considered to be perfectly flat. It is hard to see, I took many pictures trying to get it to show better. Add attachments of photos...
            Attached Files
            Last edited by dcm802; 07-04-2013, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dcm802 View Post
              Sorry to high jack this thread... but I just created a account and it wouldn't let me create a new thread.... I have an older Panasonic plasma acting up.. I tore it apart and looked for some bad caps... I think I may have found one. But it is not excessively bulged, but does appear to look different then the others on the board... I was hoping some could tell me if this a bad cap... For a comparison I will also post a picture of one that is near it that I considered to be perfectly flat.

Slight bulge?
              https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...D19C9FF7DD!192

Completely Flat:
              https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...D19C9FF7DD!193

Couldnt get the pictures to post... so provided links... It is hard to see, I took many pictures trying to get it to show better.
              Can't see the images due to indirect URLs. Please use the forum's attachment function/feature (that "Manage Attachments" thingy). Either that or use image sharing sites such as Imgur.

Comment

Fixed..

Comment

Fixed..
                  Can't tell from straight down aerial view. Snapping photos from the side would be better. Example in the attachment, can notice the slight bulge easily on both capacitors...
                  Attached Files

Comment

I will attempt more photos... The first one shows shadows around the smallish bulge.. and the second that is perfectly flat has no such shadows... I was having a hard time getting what I am seeing to show in photos... It is not excessively bulged. I shall try again!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by dcm802; 07-04-2013, 11:01 AM.

Comment

I will attempt more photos... The first one shows shadows around the smallish bulge.. and the second that is perfectly flat has no such shadows... I was having a hard time getting what I am seeing to show in photos... It is not excessively bulged. I shall try again!
                      On the camera, use macro mode to get close up shots. More examples in the attachments below...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Looks flat to me, the indents are straight. If it were bulging, the centre would rise up and the indent lines would not form a straight line (just like two of the example pictures that I've posted)...

Comment

It is not bulged like these. Near the vent slits or what ever you call them, it is slightly raised in comparison to all the capacitors in the tv. It is not perfectly flat like the rest. It is very hard to show in a photo, no matter the settings or angles I use... Ill just go ahead and replace. Did not want to replace if it is just me seeing things.....

Comment

It is not bulged like these. Near the vent slits or what ever you call them, it is slightly raised in comparison to all the capacitors in the tv. It is not perfectly flat like the rest. It is very hard to show in a photo, no matter the settings or angles I use... Ill just go ahead and replace. Did not want to replace if it is just me seeing things.....
                            Those "raised bulges" along the indent lines or "vent slits" are pretty normal. Here is one example from one of my re-cappings (a Samsung 226BW monitor, supposed to be 680uF but I simply replaced them with 1000uF instead). Those capacitors are brand new...
                            Attached Files

Comment

A little more details on this tv.. The diagnostic lights point to a bad SS board. The tv shuts down in about 30 mins. Since it will run for that long, I assumed it was a bad cap that gets all out of wack once it is warm up. A fuse is out of the question since it does run. I looked over the board and the only thing that stuck out as looking a little odd was that capacitor. Albeit the photos do not do a good job at showing this. A new/used SS board is about 40.00. Maybe ill just get a new board...

Comment

Yes it looks like that... While the other same brand caps on this board are perfectly flat...

Comment

Yes it looks like that... While the other same brand caps on this board are perfectly flat...
                                  Here's another example... Same brand (Nichicon) and same model (HE series) but just different capacitance. You can see the top is totally flat...
                                  Attached Files

Comment

hmmm well thanks for the help... Not sure whats going on... Just going to try a new ss board..

Comment

hmmm well thanks for the help... Not sure whats going on... Just going to try a new ss board..
                                      Another example, spot the badcaps (very easily). This one should enlighten you on how a spot actual bulging capacitors (or how bulging capacitors actually look like)...
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Look at the bottom seal also, see if it is pushed out at the bottom.
                                        See more bad caps:
                                        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/bud...?sort=3&page=1
                                        Last edited by budm; 07-05-2013, 07:40 PM.
                                        Never stop learning
                                        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Working...
                                        X