RECAP Candidate - IBM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RECAP Candidate - IBM

This is an IBM socket 478 board that came out of one of those Kodak Digital Photo print machines. Board will only boot if booted once, then shut down, then rebooted.

It came with a 3Ghz HT CPU. I added the fan on the Northbridge to avoid burning myself on the heatsink.

The board is littered with Nichicon VR(M) 85C caps, but the caps near the Heat Sink are 560uf 4v solids by the look of it.

Any recapping suggestions? I checked the ESR on all caps, but the readings seem OK.

I will build this is an XP machine as Adobe Flash Linux version is awful on this board. Looks like it's paging back and forth between the two cores.

Yup, I'm stuck with the integrated video. My goal is a reasonably speedy cooler running board.
    Attached Files

Re: RECAP Candidate - IBM

This is a very unusual symptom, and I don't know if a BIOS update is available to fix this problem.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

replace all the 85°C GP caps on that IBM labelled Intel OEM Board with 105° caps first.
      probably all of them baked dry by now..

also looks like there's everything there for AGP, except the slot itself. as it's just a boring standard s478 board i'd go ahead and get a slot in there (if you have the soldering skills of course)

edit: as for the "cooler running" part.. replace the Prescott P4 (which it most likely is) with a Northwood one. those are one core generation older, but run considerably cooler than Prescotts..
      Last edited by Scenic; 06-25-2010, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Scenic, thanks for the tips. Yes, it turned out to be a Prescott. Wow, Prescotts have a really bad reputation. Melting PCBs! I'm going to replace with Northwood.

I might just try adding that header - have you ever done that?

If this is an Intel board - which one, and is it likely I can use the Intel Bios to flash it?

Japlytic, I think the weird paging thing is because of the "Timer Bug" and Linux. I'm going to try it as an XP machine and see if that goes away.

The solid caps near the CPU have no makers mark on them. Any ideas?

Comment

replace the caps close to the 2 mosfets behind the pic slots.those suffer dry out first.

Comment

All 478 cpus have bad reputation :P High power consumption and low efficiency.

Comment

Working...
            X