Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus EAH4830 capacitors

Hi,
    I need help to identify the capacitors on the graphic card (Asus EAH4830)
    as shown in the picture:

http://imagebin.org/309907

My guess:
    - All solid polymer aluminum capacitors.
    - Those 6 in the middle: 820uF 2,5V
    - Those 3 at the bottom left: 560uF 6,3V
    - Those 3 at the top: 270uF 16v

(please correct me if I'm wrong)

If I replace the capacitors with the latest solid polymer series of some vendor,
    ESR/ESL/ripple-current values should be better than this capacitors, am I right?

(for example, replace them with latest Panasonic SEPC series or latest Nichicon FPCAP series)

Thanks to all.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Per Hansson; 05-18-2014, 02:26 PM. Reason: Offsite image uploaded

Re: Asus EAH4830 capacitors

the 2.5V 820uF caps are Fujitsu FPCap (They're still sold, but they're owned by Nichicon now I think. Not many people know this, but that series comes in two varieties, a 2,000 hour part and a 5,000 part. There's no way to tell them apart AFAIK).

the 6.3V 560uF caps are Enesol, and the 16V 270uF caps are Capxon.

I don't think you're going to gain anything by changing the caps, and it's not worth the risk or expense in my opinion, especially since the VRM is the first thing to go on Radeon 48xx cards, and it has nothing to do with the capacitors.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Hi mockingbird,
      thank you very much for your help.

Forgive me, I forgot to say that the graphics card has stopped working a few days ago. (And it has been showing symptoms of backdown in the last months, sporadic errors on startup with black screen and relative BIOS error code).

I'll try to recap with Panasonic SEPC series.

Thanks again.

Comment

Reflowing the GPU might help... But like I said, the Radeon 48xx reference cards have a defective VRM design from what I have heard... I have a non-reference 4890 (Actually a cheaper Analog VRM - ironic that this version lasts longer) that works great.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Thanks for the advice.
          I believe that I will not be able of reflowing the gpu, so I will leave this as a last chance to fix it.

Perhaps capacitors are not the problem, but....

......the story so far: the graphic card has worked hard since May 2009 to present
          and it has suffered interferences of a faulty monitor for 6 months (bad capacitors on the scaler board).

But I still have one doubt: should I replace capacitors with others that have same ESR or lower is better?

Comment

Monitors do not output signals to videocards, it is the other way around.

Yes, use only equivalent or lower ESR polymer capacitors. Ripple is important too. Don't buy polymer capacitors from AliExpress or eBay, most of them are fakes.

Comment

Thanks mockingbird for your precious help, I'm going with Panasonic SEPC capacitors and if not works I'll go with gpu reflowing, bringing the card to a real technician. If it still does not work I give up and throw it away.

Have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                the 16V 270uF caps are Apaq.
                FTFY. They not CapXon. Not that Apaq are any better, though.
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Nice catch. Are you interested in a free thermal paste sample? I'm curious about some Chinese paste with outrageous performance claims...

Comment

Originally posted by LEuler View Post
                    ... and if not works I'll go with gpu reflowing, bringing the card to a real technician. If it still does not work I give up and throw it away.
                    If the technician can't fix it, give the reflow a try yourself. You might as well learn something new in the process. All you need is either a heatgun or an oven you don't mind putting electronics in (since it might make it smell a little).

Originally posted by mockingbird
                    Are you interested in a free thermal paste sample? I'm curious about some Chinese paste with outrageous performance claims...
                    Does it contain diamonds?
                    If it's a free sample, I might bite. I have plenty of crappy PCs and video cards to experiment with. My gut feeling is that it's going to be a waste of time - i.e. it probably works, but probably not any better than any other cheap thermal compound.

Comment

Working...
                    X