e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

So I ordered a replacement T-con board from shop jimmy and with their "new" t-con I get no picture at all. When I put my t-con back in and it works but I am back to the strange dark colors and shadows.

ShopJimmy says they test all of them and there is no way they sent a bad one, and that my panel must be bad....

Where is a good source to get a t-con board for this thing that will for sure be in working order? We love this thing and are so happy we were able to fix it removing the left side drivers, just need to get this one issue sorted out!

Comment

I know I got all of mine off of ebay from a honest seller but he no longer has any new ones.

Comment

Wish me luck. I'm going to try and save a dumpster bound e701i-a3e. T-con is being shipped. Thanks to all who have posted with info and procedures. I'm well read twice and looking forward to seeing what happens. I'm up to page 16 and until I get the new board, I'll read and reread pages 17-45. Then I'll read again. thanks. I'll post end result one way or another.

Comment

Well, that was a fast 3 seconds. I got my tcon today and installed . I plugged in the two cables coming from the main board and had the LCD cables unplugged. All voltages seemed to be close or correct. The tcon looked good. I took a break to cook chicken on the grill and decided to give it the 3 second test with the right side LCD drivers unplugged. Yes the small 3/4 inch ribbon on the side board right side bottom corner by the vizio logo. I was going to unplug the left side as well but thought it was a 50/50 chance that the right was the issue. My wife and I came in after dinner and I decided to give it the 3 second test. Turning it on we counted to three as I held the power strip in my hand with a switch and just as I said three the screen got bright when I shut it down with the switch. Just to check for damage I unplugged the LCD panel ribbons and checked for voltage "heartbeat" . There was none. I killed the tcon. So... now I've decided to order a few RTR020N05's and work on the factory tcon and the one I just killed. I have also removed the left side ribbon . I didn't do that for the first test because the control buttons were there and I had to unplug those in order to gain access to the screws for the metal retaining strip covering the side board drivers. so..... once I get the RTR020N05's I will test with both sides unplugged and see if I get vertical lines. if not...I think it will be a done deal. I'm hoping it's the left side. No signs of burnt drivers on either side from what I can tell. If it's the bottom I guess I'm done.

Comment

Just wondering if I could solder a few inches of some small gauge wire to the pads where the transistor sits on the board and have an extension cord of sorts in order to make replacing the next blown transistor easier. If that would work, I would just leave it hooked up that way and lay it down insulated from other components for the next time if needed.
            Last edited by indoorable; 06-15-2018, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Someone posted in the thread that sharp had an overcurrent protection circuit integrated. Does that mean that for sharps the whole procedure does not apply to ? See my thread

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...998#post800998

Comment

Add me to the club. It was a great experience. My left side tab drivers were bad. The short wire extension trick saved me time and trouble plus kept the board from getting abused. I now have a beautiful picture sound and an extra tcon board plus five or 6 spare transistors. Total cost 80 bucks. Feels good to save it from the dump for a few months, year or years. who knows.
                Thank you all. Great blog.

Comment

Everything is back together after testing power up after every step of reassembly. I did a factory setting reset for color and sound so I could tweak it from there. I was able to connect to my wireless router and watch an episode of Planet Earth on Netflix. Wow what a big TV. Too bad I lost one side but at least it's alive and I'll find something to do with it. It was fun. Thanks again.

Comment

Hi Badcaps community,
                    I got my hand on one of this e701i-A3... backlight but no picture, I brought a new tcon thinking that was the problem, put the brand new tcon still same problem, I follow freak8 to test the driver but nothing change that probably I burned the new tcon? I will attempt to test the tcon now to see if oIcan repair it without buying a new board.

Comment

Just got done installing a new RTR020N05TL MOSFET SINGLE N-CHAN 45V 2A TSMT-3 (10 for $10.90 on e.bay) - voltages good - bottom right white ribbon cable disconnect and once i found the correct HD input from the bluray player - everything lit up fine - from what i can tell ( I will need help holding it up vertically to see for sure) pix looks good and full, no dark areas -
                      because the pix looks OK - does this indicate that the drivers will pop the component again or was it a power hit that took it out?

so should i reconnect ribbon and see if that was the cause of the outage or continue the procedure to remove the tab drivers / thanks

Comment

disregard last post - had my wife hold the screen up and right side is dark(er) - will disconnect drivers / and repost results

Comment

After the repair that this post suggests and many of you have successfully implemented, what is the best guess of how long that this fix will hold on average? It sounds as though the circuitry is really being "tricked" verses a true repair, unless I missed something. Yup, I know that there are allot of variables and such a bandaid should dictate moving a repaired HDTV into a guest room to ease out its last remaining hours of use...

In the meantime, many thanks to the OP for starting this thread and all the other contributors.

UGH, I wish that I would have found this information a few weeks ago and before I fried a T-Con board. I also purchased a brand new Vizio E70i-A3 from Sams Club at the beginning of 2014, as well as a SquareTrade 4-year extended warranty. Murphy's Law is strong in our household, so of course the HDTV screen faded to black before our eyes after all warranties expired. What a shame for this to happen to such a huge HDTV that only ran for about 8000 hours.

Peace,
                          Dr. Z.

Comment

not sure whether you are referring to the replacement of the "FET" or the "pulling of the side tabs". The "fet fix" is a proper fix for the card issue. The "tab removal" is a workaround that has NO alternative for the general consumer DIY'er as the machine to actually fix that issue is very expensive (thousands). In general, I personally saved a sharp 70 by removing the side tabs (another thread)... that set is still in daily operation coming up 3 years... my neighbor continues to smile when I ask him about it.

Personally, I bet there are hundreds of these "saved" sets in operation and very few have totally failed.

Comment

I have read 30 pages of this thread. Enough to get the point I think. My vizio had a shorted coxa transistor. I replaced the t-con with a good one. Dcd the right side after inspecting the tabs and not finding any discoloration. Powered set up and had no change. Backlight no picture. Powered off and dcd the cord and tested the coxa again and found it not shorted. Have not tried disconnecting the left side tabs because I assumed if the right side didn't change the symptoms it would short the coxa but it didn't. I noticed that the last 2 letters of the part number on the t-con (letters in the little white box) are different. Would that make the t-con not compatible?
                              Last edited by lilyhammer2014; 08-16-2018, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lilyhammer2014 View Post
                                I have read 30 pages of this thread. Enough to get the point I think. My vizio had a shorted coxa transistor. I replaced the t-con with a good one. Dcd the right side after inspecting the tabs and not finding any discoloration. Powered set up and had no change. Backlight no picture. Powered off and dcd the cord and tested the coxa again and found it not shorted. Have not tried disconnecting the left side tabs because I assumed if the right side didn't change the symptoms it would short the coxa but it didn't. I noticed that the last 2 letters of the part number on the t-con (letters in the little white box) are different. Would that make the t-con not compatible?
                                Hello,
                                I also read it, must say, very interesting post, learned a lot from it.
                                Regarding your matter: I can't say for sure, that your new Tcon is incompatible, but it would be better to swap out the shorted FET on the old board. Do you have the neccessary tools, ie. soldering iron? You should change it to a more sturdy one (freak mentioned its type many times here), and after it can certanly withstand the testing process without shorting.
                                Cheers, Janos

Comment

Still in search for a good tcon

Does anyone know if the ZA or ZH matters at the end of the board part number? Shopjimmy.com says no, they are the same....

Comment

Thank you everyone. Another Vizio E701I fixed. I ordered a new TCONN before finding this post but it didn't work. Either it popped the chip or it was bad when I got it. Either way I removed the bad chip and soldered some speaker wire to the board then to the chip as a extension and just taped it with electric tape the best I could to lay it over. It was working but still had a couple black line from right and fading to left. Removed the right side drivers one at a time but nothing worked until I remove them all. Bam!!! back to normal now. Thank you everyone again.

Comment

Like everyone i have the same problem with the e701i-a3 but i need some help. I checked all the driver cables and non look bad (browning around the center section). Screen is completely black. I have never seen any lines of any kind before it went black (it was always a perfect picture). The led back lights still work. I can still hear sound from an attached HDMI source. I unplugged the left and the right driver corner cables (separately) and nothing changed. I have not bought any new parts yet. But it sounds exactly like everyone else issue, without the weird lines. I even checked the bottom (driver?) cable for any defects it looks normal. Where do i start here? Check voltages of the known problem transistor on the Tcon? Or is this just a bad display without a fix? A quick google of the tcon was only ~20$. Is it worth getting it and redoing the corner cable check?

Comment

Photos didnt attach correctly

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RSfrhdg6ukcFjW6MA
                                        https://photos.app.goo.gl/tod8NsLcrGAhB8DV9

Comment

Ok i understand a little better after rereading the first 15 pages about 4 times. I checking the ohms of the mosfet with the unit unplugged. My mutimeter set to ohms and 2000 range. Black on single pin ledt side, top reads 007 bottom ~800. Freak said the 500 and infinte are a normal reading. Im not 100% sure i have my multimeter set to the correct range. Does this reading indicate a bad mosfet?

Also, only "100" showed any voltage (12v) when the tv is powered on. All the silver caps are 0 and 3r3 and 4r7.
                                          Last edited by bildivarian; 10-19-2018, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X