• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello, my name is Dennis.

Comment

Hello, my name is Carl, from wauchula fl.

Comment

Hello all

Me? ... I'm an old telephone tech used to live in the UK now in the US studied tube theory in college and yup had a commadore 64 - got me through grad school

Worked in communications and electronics got A+ cert - teach high school and dabble at home fixing peoples computers

Had a monitor given - found this site and with your help fixed a nice Westinghouse 17" monitor

Thank you to everyone who shares their knowledge...

Comment

Greetings,

I have been doing some research into monitors and stumbled accross your forums. Just reading some of the posts here I can tell this is quickly going to become one of my favorites forums.

What I am looking for a one of those in line testers, but not break the bank. I have noticed you all quite often say that caps are bad when they don't even show signs. Which it isn't hard to figure out that I need to get me a tester. It doesn't have to be new. Just someplace I can get a reliable one.

At current I am going thru an Acer X243w monitor. It does the 2 second to black. I have opened it up and inspected the caps on the inverter, power board and signal board. I didn't see any bad caps visually. This is why I need a source for a tester of which I don't have presently.

Thanks again for this forum.
          XP.

Comment

Hi,
            My name is Travis and I'm a computer scientist from Kalamazoo, MI. At the moment I'm trouble shooting a LCD monitor issue and plan on posting about it in a few minutes.

Comment

Hi all!

The name is Henrie and I just discovered this wonderful forum. Been repairing electronics for more than 40 years now, so I guess I'm an old badcapper now ;-)
              Hope to be able to help some of you in the near future!

H.

Comment

Hi, I'm Sal, I've been doing the cap thing since 2k4 when I blew up my MX440 thanks to Rivatuner and no case ventilation. I'm a techie type with a desire to know the answer to the ultimate question " W H Y ? ". Have Autism / Asperger's which means comms is usually a little awkward. Been here on and off since 2k5 and found forum helpful in resurrecting mobos. Now I'm confronted with PSUs both atx and lcd/tv and things get a little more complex. Looking forward to picking brains on probs and solutions.
                1st computer was Atari stfm, 2nd was AMD 386DX40 (that rocked!) with C and COBOL. Have worked in commercial / financial software 80's & 90's and now enjoy learning a bit of hardware. Not had a job this millennium so money's tight. Recently gained A+ and Network+ certs (2 weeks study each, they're not as difficult as some suggest). Slowly putting together a repair bench, got anti-static first, cheap iron and braid, vacuum de-solder gun on the way, ready to burn / electrocute myself (again!).
                That's all, folks,
                Sal . . .
                Last edited by badcapsal; 07-06-2011, 04:44 AM.

Comment

I'm Shawn from southwest Missouri, USA. I've been an electronics hobbyist since at least 5th grade (1987). I used to repair all kinds of things as a kid, but mostly audio amps and CRT TVs because they were easy (amps almost always needed output and driver transistors, TVs almost always needed flyback transformers). I have recapped a number of motherboards and cheap power supplies over the years, and joined this forum because I have a growing stockpile of ATX PSUs and other devices with failed SMPS which I am having trouble resurrecting. It's gotten to where simply replacing shorted semiconductors and bad caps isn't doing the trick.

Comment

My name is Randy from Trinidad

Comment

Hi.
                      My name is Kurt and I'm from the NW FL area. I am retired USAF (20 years). While in my primary job was avionics on F-15 aircraft. I have been out for five years now. I just completed my second degree (radiography) and I'm taking the summer off with the kids before I get back to the grind. I found this site while doing a repair on a friends laptop. The info was great so I had to join!

Kurt

Comment

hello my name is rcratchet or rick im in cleveland ohio im really a truck mechanic but im trying to play a tv repairman i hope with your help

Comment

This looks like an accomplished group. Thanks for allowing me to join. I will try to contribute from time to time.
                          Ron (KO0E)

Comment

Hi newbie to the forum here, been searching for a while for a technical forum like this, so far looks excellent.

Anyhow my names scobie_21, I have 10+ years experience servicing audio equipment, also got into servicing laptops a few years ago,I find it exhausting searching the internet for repair tips and schematics when experienced technicians can provide field service cases and point you in the right direction in minutes.
                            Hope I can be of help in other fields, and hope to fix a few mobos on the way.

Regards.. scobie

Comment

Hi, I'm a self-taught electrical engineer.

Been repairing electronics since I was 5. Eventually transitioned from fixing into making circuits, designing gadgets and writing firmware. Got into a habit of buying broken big ticked items (such as LCD TV's) in order to fix them. Way too often busted caps are all there is, so I've been running into this site over and over again looking for solutions.

Yesterday another device went dead - a Linksys SRX400 router. Problem? The infamous "Teapo" caps! I had to recap the board and do some additional soldering.

I took it as a sign from above that it was my time to join this forum and fight the good fight against bad caps, wherever they may be!

Comment

New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello to the members and staff.

Elect.. tech since the 70's been fixing stuff for many years. Working on a Asus P4SD-LA Motherboard that isin't working / had just quit. The caps don't look bad but I'm going to replace them anyway. Thats how I ran accross this site. Looks like the technical info will be of considerable help here.
                                Glad I joined. MaxPC

Comment

Hi,
                                  I've been in IT for about 25 years. From " Word Procs" using magnetic card readers,Computer hardware, Server hardware to OS and associated software support, DC management.
                                  Currently on a sabbatical (nice word for unemployed) to retool. I really liked working with Vacuum tubes back in the 70s so I've been repairing and building Guitar Amps for the past year.
                                  Came by this site in looking for Vizio TV fixes as I will try to fix anything if I can find parts.

Comment

Lou Peterson here. I've never participated in a forum and I hope this is the correct way to post my message. I'm a jack of all trades to some degree. I can fix just about anything if I set my mind to it. I'm looking at a Vizio 26" TV that went blank a couple of weeks ago for an older couple that I've known for a while. Their funds are tight and I'm hoping I can help them out. Anyway, this forum looks like it's could be very educational for me and I look forward to participating.

Comment

Hi.
                                      Tommy from South Africa.
                                      Technician in TV & Radio Transmitter field.
                                      Started with AM and hopefully ending with DTT Transmitters, Lotsa Valve 10KW TV Thompsons and NEC thrown into the 30 Year mix.

Found this wonderful site while looking to fix my Plasma.. :p

Comment

Hi guys. I am a 59 year computer nut. I was a chief technician and General Manager of a cable television operation for 25 years. After that I ran an Internet Access and computer repair business for 12 years and although I still tinker with computers, it's only a hobby now. I am looking for and hope to contribute help to this forum.

Gary White
                                        Quitman, MS, USA

Comment

juus here. Always been into computers & electronics. Everyday i see as a new learning experience.
                                          Just started my own IT company so more focused on it and repairs now than ever before.
                                          Hope the forum will be a great source of help & making good friends.

Comment

Working...
                                          X