This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

OK, so we are supposed to post a short introductory post... let's get this over with, then. After all, I can see the reason behind that.

I am an electrical engineer, currently in an academic position. My interest in Badcaps was piqued by a recent project to use watercooling to create the 100% silent computer, and this includes watercooling the power supply. Although I didn't find anything on Badcaps that was directly related to this project, it seemed to me that I could find enough information (and perhaps also help others) to warrant registration. So here I am.

Comment

hi hope this forun will educate me

Comment

Well, this is my intro post. I am currently a student, that works full-time at a used computer place, and this forum showed me the problems with bad caps, and it helps me with figuring out which models that we have are bad. I can't wait to learn more about this forum.

Comment

Greetings from the City of Big Shoulders. Not feeling my normal chatty self today, but I will say that when I first learned about "bad caps" I think I must have felt like the pioneers of modern medicine when they first learned about germs. Holy cow! You mean there's an explanation for [insert symptoms or form of electronics death here] that doesn't involve IC programming!? And I don't have to consider the motherboard as though it were a black-box anymore? The shackles fall away. I step out of the cave and squint in the bright light of freedom. <keanu>whoa!</keanu>

Comment

Hey, brand new at this not sure if I'm even in the right place for intro. Searching the web I found this forum and seemed like the place to be if I want to tackle fixing my Epox 8rda+ motherboard. Put it together a few years ago after finding a website that gave a rather great tutorial on building your own supercomputer, using reasonable hardware that had been out about six months, after prices had come down. Its worked great till now when it started acting up and I noticed some of the caps were swollen and leaking.
            Living in the Portland, Oregon area, retired for about seven years after cutting meat for a large grocery company, trying to enjoy all the benefits of retirement.
            In reading some of the information on fixing motherboards I'm amazed it the wealth of knowledge available to me to negotiate the fix. Looking forward to picking some brains, Tim

Comment

hi,

greetings from sunny manchester uk.ive been repairing laptops full time at a major repair centre for around 8 years but only recently got into component level stuff,its hard at times but ive learned more on this forum in a few weeks than i did in 2 years of college.hope i get good enough soon to start giving advice rather than asking for it.

Comment

I'm chris from upstate new york. Found this board looking for caps and information to fix the 2 iMac g5s that I picked uP for free. First one was a simple motherboard recapping. Done and it works great. Perfect computer for my daughter ESP at the price. The second got the board recapped and that works, now I've got the power supply ripped apart to replace some of those caps too. I propbally won't post too many times, but I am a very avid board reader.

Comment

Hi Members, I am retired Pro. Electronics Tech. from Victoria, Australia. Started work-life in 1960 at consumer goods retailer's repair center for 6 years.
                  Move to Tektronix Field Office as Service Tech for 6 years, in Melbourne. Wonderful experience with cutting edge instruments.
                  Three years in TV design lab for major manufacturer with semi-auto production line running circa 450 sets per day.
                  Ten years at instrument/navaids import/distribution firm.
                  Finished with 17 years in electronics Lab for Victoria Government's Environment Protection Authority.
                  I have seen a lot of change in the business & experienced the widest range of technologies & engineering which makes me rather unusual among colleagues.
                  I have a firm understanding of vacuum tubes through solid-state to I/C & digital circuitry.
                  Badcaps!! I was fortunate to have retired, just as they were arriving on the scene.
                  As I am still active in component-level repairs, I have dealt with many sorts of gear suffering from faulty electro's.
                  I am happy to see your organisation prompting specially deep suspicion of the class of components. I always urge modern techs to own & use ESR meters, which usually detect these items, before they show the 'bulge'.
                  Keep up the good work!

Comment

Hello, my name is Tim. I know little about general electronics but more about audio. My crappy Power Mac G5 power supply has brought me here seeking repair information. I've found exactly what I was looking for. I will jump in, brush off the cob webs from my soldering iron and have at it.

Thank you in advance for the wealth of knowledge expressed here.

Comment

Hello, tv tech for 30 years,from chicago il.

Comment

tim here and just wanted to say kudo's to all that post there experiences. ive repaired one monitor and two tv's based off of information and suggestions here. outstanding work everyone and keep it up. ill try to add my own two cents when warranted

Comment

My name is Jeremy, 33, from NE Ohio and unemployed (at the moment). Drive a 425 HP Subaru Legacy Wagon GT and love me a good VW. Guitar playing metalhead , political junky , and Mac guy . Looking to get into electronics as a hobby, for now, maybe career or side loot later.

Comment

HI TO ALL......
                            I guess i don't have much to say but as usual just to introduce myself to this exciting forum. My name is Livingstone prefer to be called "blue-stone", Born some where around africa in the late 1980's 24 years of age, studied computer science and networking. I am also a habitual electronic repairer which was just a gift in me and i brought it to the computer field to help others who need help. I have about six years experience int computer repair and I know i can be of great help to every living being around the world.

I was actually born on may 18th 1988 in Ghana, I am not married for now but hope to..
                            I was in desperate need looking for solution to some kind of laptop problem over these years and this Forum has done the magic for me. This is why I signed up here to show my appreciation and also to help any one who needs help that I can offer.
                            LET'S ALL LIVE GOOD AND DO WHAT THE SAVIOR HAS CHOSEN US TO DO....

Livingstone

Comment

I'm George, live in California. Just have a TV related question.

Comment

I'm Robert, in California, google search got me here...

cheers,
                                Robert

Comment

Hi I am new to this forum and have learn allot from reading allot of post for the last four hours a great site
                                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                  30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                  10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                  6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                  1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                  25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                  6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                  1 Dell Mother Board
                                  15 Computer Power Supply
                                  1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                  2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                  All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

heyho, i'm also a new member of this great forum

Comment

Hello, new comer here..

cheers,

Hj

Comment

Hi, Markus here, from Tx

Comment

Hello My name is Ilija and 53 yof age, begin electronics 3 y ago

Comment

Working...
                                          X