Samsung UN60H6350 No picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung UN60H6350 No picture

howdy, i have came across a samsung un60h6450 from a friend of mine who i trade and barter electronics with. the tv seems to be in great condition and i just wanted to ask a few questions before i remove the back from the tv.

when turning the tv on, it seems to power up, the standby led goes from a solid state to blinking. not long after the standby led starts blinking the backlights will come on and stay on. then the standby stops blinking and goes away. so it seems like it boots up fine. but there is no logo displayed or any menu or anything. just a black screen with the backlights on. i also do not get any sound at all, but the previous owner could have had external audio on and internal speakers turned off, so i will need to plug up an external audio source (hopefully it is not set to optical audio because i do not have anything to test with that)

what i am wondering is if this would be a main board issue? or if it would be a timing control board issue? or maybe if the panel itself is bad? i have never seen a lcd television where the whole screen just stopped working but im sure it is possible.

what would be a good way for me to verify this? any insight would be appreciated if you have the time to comment, thanks in advance.

Re: Samsung UN60H6350 No picture

just a quick follow up, i just tried plugging in an external audio, i still get no audio at all. also after turning the tv on with the remote or the button on the tv i cannot turn it back of with either the remote or the button on the tv. but the tv will turn itself off after a few mins (2-3 mins) by itself

sounds to me like a main board issue but i would love to hear anyone elses opinion on it. again thanks in advance
    Last edited by james28909; 06-25-2020, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Tv turning on and off with backlights is typically a bad tcon though it could be a bad panel or main board.

Testing procedure for Samsung TVs.
      1. Disconnect the cable between the main board and power supply and plug in the TV. Backlights should come on. If they don't you probably have bad backlights though bad backlights can damage the power supply.

2. With only one ribbon cable between the panel and tcon connected at a time, see if the TV will turn on with one side. If it does, you have a panel fault on the bad side.

Comment

Originally posted by neilc6 View Post
        Tv turning on and off with backlights is typically a bad tcon though it could be a bad panel or main board.

Testing procedure for Samsung TVs.
        1. Disconnect the cable between the main board and power supply and plug in the TV. Backlights should come on. If they don't you probably have bad backlights though bad backlights can damage the power supply.

2. With only one ribbon cable between the panel and tcon connected at a time, see if the TV will turn on with one side. If it does, you have a panel fault on the bad side.
        sounds good. but i wonder if i am also not able to get any sound out of any output would that point towards the main board? also i am not sure if you seen the message where i can turn it on with the remote or button on the tv, but i can not turn it off with the remote or the button on the tv. and it turns itself off after a few mins

also the back lights work fine. i can see them light up and work until the tv turns back off on its own. i cannot turn the tv back off with the remote or button on the tv though.
        Last edited by james28909; 06-25-2020, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Did you test #2?

Sound is not a reliable test if you cant see a picture since there are many reasons why you may have no sound. Wrong input, volume set to 0, sound output set to external, sound muted...
          Last edited by neilc6; 06-25-2020, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Did you test #2?

Sound is not a reliable test if you cant see a picture since there are many reasons why you may have no sound. Wrong input, volume set to 0, sound output set to external, sound muted...
            i have the remote and spammed the volume up and external audio hooked up and i have tried optical out as well. no sound what so ever on any physical input i manually plug the cables to. couple this with the problem of being able to turn it on but not off leads me to think this is a main board issue. the main board controls signals for audio and video. the main board sends data to the tcon in which the tcon updates the screen if the tcon is not getting a signal then it will not work either way. also the main board processes the audio signals as well which i am not getting any on any output no matter which input i am on or how long i press the volume up. the main board also handles signals controlling tv functions like power on and off (standby switching to power on) and volume level etc.

i can see the led blink when i press buttons on the controller though, but i do not think it is processing any commands after it is turned on though.

witht eh tv hooked up to my computer it registers as a samsung tv and seems to detect it fine, but just because it does this does not mean the main board is ok because a seperate chip handles the actual connection to any device the tv might be plugged to.

i am about to take the back off though and test #2 of your advice but i am pretty positive that it will not show anything on the screen no matter which side the cables are hooked up. and also a failed tcon will not effect the audio, or atleast ive never worked on a tv that this was the case.

will report back in a little while though, thanks for the advice!
            Last edited by james28909; 06-26-2020, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Did you test #2?

disconnected one cable at a time from in between the tcon and display buffer. once i disconnected the first side and powered on the tv the screen displayed white and then i unplugged the tv and connected that side back and disconnected the other side and it was white as well. so looks like the tcon is good then? and also it looks like the display is working as well since the pixels are letting the backlight shine through unobstructed? thanks for the help this far. to me it sounds like a main board issue but would like to see what you or anyone else thinks.

also are these main boards prone to failure and what is likely wrong with the main board if it is indeed what the problem is?

EDIT: its almost as if the main board is not fully turning on?
              EDIT2: is there anywhere i can buy just the eeprom? i am wondering if this could be the issue because like i said, it is like the main board is not turning on all the way
              Last edited by james28909; 06-26-2020, 02:44 PM.

Comment

I would try a new con first since a main board could be a lot more expensive. Find a seller that takes returns like Electroparts.

Comment

Originally posted by james28909 View Post
                  to me it sounds like a main board issue but would like to see what you or anyone else thinks.

also are these main boards prone to failure and what is likely wrong with the main board if it is indeed what the problem is?

EDIT: its almost as if the main board is not fully turning on?
                  EDIT2: is there anywhere i can buy just the eeprom? i am wondering if this could be the issue because like i said, it is like the main board is not turning on all the way
                  This suggests it's a fairly common mainboard issue. https://www.nickstvs.com/store/p2557/BN94-07410R.html

Comment

EEPROM: https://spares2repair.co.uk/samsung-...-512kbit-64kx8
                    Last edited by nomoresonys; 06-26-2020, 06:12 PM.

Comment

If you suspect the eeprom, you could try heating with a hairdryer or cooling, could throw the board in the freezer for half an hour or so, then see if tv starts up, one way of proving a bad eeprom.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                        A random small 512k eeprom not even compatible with this tv.

If you suspect the eeprom, you could try heating with a hairdryer or cooling, could throw the board in the freezer for half an hour or so, then see if tv starts up, one way of proving a bad eeprom.
                        Please stop suggesting people throw their boards in the freezer, this is more likely to cause other damage due to condensation. It does also not identify the fault as the eeprom. A squirt of butane lighter gas is far more efficient.

Comment

EXACTLY what I was thinking. Where can I source a new epprom though?

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post

Please stop suggesting people throw their boards in the freezer, this is more likely to cause other damage due to condensation. It does also not identify the fault as the eeprom. A squirt of butane lighter gas is far more efficient.
                            hmmm, where could I get another epprom for this board? Because I am positive it is going to be this because I am not even getting sound on any input with the volume maxed out blairing metallica lol

so to me, its like it is not booting up all the way to begin with. I think the tcon and panel itself is fine. And I do not really have the extra cash to throw 140 bucks to a reputable parts dealer for another main board. And if I can try a 5 dollar part I would much rather do that first than to spend money and time trying to diagnose which board it is by sending boards back and forth between a parts dealer

EDIT: also, if I do find an exact match (using epprom part number), will I need to flash it or will it already be ready to go? If anyone knows where I can get one, I would surely appreciate if anyone would share a link to a reputable parts dealer for things like that
                            Last edited by james28909; 06-27-2020, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post

Done it several times, no problems yet. As far as I could tell the numbers matched on the eeprom. How is it not a match then?? I make mistakes like everyone BUT I never post anything at random.
                              Last edited by nomoresonys; 06-27-2020, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Howdy, just hoping my other question didn't get skimmed past. If I do find another eeprom, will I need to flash it or will it need flashing? Will I be able to just solder on there without flashing it first? Any insight is very much appreciated

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

Hi, it is surely a main board problem, much probably a software problem, maybe the standby mpu software but it is partially working at least so not sure, or main software in a bad boot partition, since in my humble opinion the boot partition its fairly stable and problems begins in the user area, maybe someone earlier have probably tried a reset on settings eprom by short circuit like some YT videos, this means that you probably loose the correct panel setting and you are not able to see the initial splash logo, if you can program the eprom with a dump found on the net you can at least confirm the diagnose, but if you want to go straight you can immediatly search for a programmed flash eprom that if is emmc is not simple to.solder. It can be possible to buy a board for another model and adapt it by writing right settings.. the story continue...

my first bet: bad main software
                                    Last edited by Davi.p; 07-02-2020, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                    X