Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 150d bench power supply ammeter not working

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
    If you do not need the full output of the transformer then pull the tape around the secondary winding and separate the center tap winding in two then you have two separate outputs and retape the secondary winding and you be ready to rock and roll
    I was thinking of that too at one point, especially since I'm now feeding around 23v into the board which gives me a max output of around 15v, so even if I just fed 12v (one winding), I should still get at least a 12v output, especially since the output of the transformer measured after the bridge rectifier is going to be higher than 12v, so there is some headroom...might be the best suggestion. Not sure how easy it is to do that without wrecking the xformer though....
    Wattevah...

Comment

Most of the time it is very easy to do

The hardest part is if it has a metal cover over the winding then it is not as easy to do

The biggest problem is if you get in a hurry when doing this project you have to take your time and work carefully and it should turn out alright

I have done this a few times before and it has worked great for me

The one thing to be careful doing is untaping —->

( you only need about two turn of tape then cut the rest of the tape on one side of the wire close to the metal core of the transformer and peal it back to get to wires on the secondary winding )

<——— the transformer use a very sharp exacto knife with a very small blade to help you untape it that is the easiest way to do this

Here is what exacto knife looks like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FOQK1VW...a-301672080909
      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-05-2018, 05:19 PM.
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply
      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

I know what an exacto is LOL and HAVE replaced fuses in transformers before, so I know what to expect It most definitely has a metal surround, but that comes off easily with some encouraging and a flat head screwdriver to bend out the metal tabs holding the bottom piece to the frame. Might start working on it today....HOPEFULLY
        Wattevah...

Comment

Let us know how this works out for you
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Here are a few shots of that control board...they might not be great, but will hopefully give you an idea. What's weird is that this thing, again, appears to be grounded: there's a GND wire going from this display board to the power board, so even if there are two separate windings, they'd still have a common ground...after the rectifier that is...this is so confusing, must admit

The red and black wires botch-soldered on the back of the board are for the fan I added...basically it's in parallel with that 12v winding obtained from the center tap and the GND leg of the bridge rectifier.

My buddy wasn't exactly keen on the idea of me trying to gut his transformer, so I haven't tried it yet - might have to do it one day when he's not around
            Attached Files
            Wattevah...

Comment

Another thing I tried with this occasion is powering the "instruments" with a 12v adapter and it worked: I got the correct reading for the current. I set the output to 1v, got a 1ohm resistor and placed it on the output. Ohm's law tells us that 1v divided by 1ohm equals 1A, which is what my displayed showed (of course, not precisely 1A, but 998-something mA is perfectly acceptable) so that part is working. When I switched back to my hack, the display only showed 23mA, so there IS a grounding/loop/whatever issue.....

I also did a rough schematic of how the thing is powered: on the left hand of that very dirty piece of paper we have the original setup: two separate windings. The right hand side is the current setup: a center tapped transformer. Can't really wrap my head around what's going on here. The dotted line indicated the instrument panel. The diode and 7805 regulator are on this panel. GND is common...yeah I know I used the earth symbol there, but you get the idea
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Dannyx; 02-07-2018, 05:27 AM. Reason: Added details
              Wattevah...

Comment

hey, you know the 4pin chokes on the mains input of stuff like dvd players?
                the windings are equal - see where this is heading?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  hey, you know the 4pin chokes on the mains input of stuff like dvd players?
                  the windings are equal - see where this is heading?
                  Yes, I already suggested that somewhere along the way, but someone who's obviously more tech-savvy than I am said it wouldn't work. I also believe the coil would act as a short-circuit, since it's just like a piece of wire...might try it tho

THIS ?
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Dannyx; 02-07-2018, 06:26 AM.
                  Wattevah...

Comment

Have you looked at the data sheet for the meter chip to see if it need to be a separate power supply or not
                    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-07-2018, 07:44 AM.
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Not yet - didn't have the energy
                      Wattevah...

Comment

Looking at the meter display board, it uses simple half-wave rectifier, one of the transformer wire is connected to circuit GND which is connected to the main power supply GND, no isolation.
                        MK1841D3: http://poormanelectronics.blogspot.c...-858d-smd.html
                        Never stop learning
                        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

MK1841D3 is an OTP MCU, can't make assumptions about how it works. However, we don't need to, we just need to know what the reference point of the display board is.

Originally posted by Dannyx View Post
                          I also did a rough schematic of how the thing is powered: on the left hand of that very dirty piece of paper we have the original setup: two separate windings. The right hand side is the current setup: a center tapped transformer. Can't really wrap my head around what's going on here. The dotted line indicated the instrument panel. The diode and 7805 regulator are on this panel. GND is common...yeah I know I used the earth symbol there, but you get the idea
                          So where are that red and black wire soldered on the back of the board connected to? Did that used to connect to that second transformer?

What I don't understand is why (originally) the 10V winding has one leg grounded as shown on the left side circuit. If it really was grounded then the right side circuit tap *should* work though a bit wonky; but my guess is that drawn connection is in error - please check. It should just be connected to the 7805 GND pin, but isolated from the main supply bridge.

In any case, that noise filter coil will not work. Yes I had to try it myself many years ago, but failed. It saturates real fast.

I can't think of an easy way to isolate the two without a separate winding unfortunately. May be SOL without redesigning the PSU board - which is equally as painful as adding another supply.

Find another wall wart to sacrifice?

Comment

Just realized that last night I wrote my reply just as the forum was undergoing maintenance and it scrapped what I THOUGHT I posted, so:

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                            So where are that red and black wire soldered on the back of the board connected to? Did that used to connect to that second transformer?
                            Let's talk about those wires: the red/black wires are just a PC fan I added later on, so they're "leaving" the board so to say and don't really concern us. On the other side of the board there used to be a 2-pin plug which I removed and soldered in the yellow/blue wires for convenience. Yellow is negative and goes to common GND (negative leg of bridge rectifier), blue is positive and goes to the center tap in this case. In the original setup, yes, those two would go to that 10v winding.

To the right of that there's that 4-pin connector connecting the two boards together which is like a "data" connector which carries the V and I sense (ok, data is an overstatement but you get the point). You can't see it in the pictures I took, but just underneath the plastic connector is the pinout of that connector, as follows: V, I, GND and 5V (not sure about the order though), so yes, there IS a common GND going between the two and I'm also quite positive the schematic I drew is correct in this regard.

However this opens up yet another bit of mystery which is WHY there's another 5v wire there :| There's a 7805 regulator on the power board itself, so I think those 5v are coming into the instrument board for some odd reason and not the other way around. The reason I say this is because when I tested with individual supplies, another thing I tried was to power just the control board, without powering the display at all and it works just on its own: putting my meter's probes on the output and turning the pots adjusted the output up and down just fine, even though the display wasn't illuminated, so the main board is not reliant on any "external" power to work, so those 5v likely go into the display and not the other way around - it's for some other purpose... Cheers.
                            Wattevah...

Comment

hey, go to a railway/canal or abandoned building - wherever people just dump junk.
                              i'm sure you can find an old radio-cassette player or something.
                              any old 6-9v transformer will do.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                hey, go to a railway/canal or abandoned building - wherever people just dump junk.
                                i'm sure you can find an old radio-cassette player or something.
                                any old 6-9v transformer will do.
                                I already have one of those. I got a box full of adapters and stuff, so I'm positive there's a transformer in there somewhere as well Trouble is there isn't much space inside the enclosure so I'm not sure it will fit....plus it's messier that way, though, of course, it may be unavoidable and be the only solution eventually, as I doubt there are other solutions at this point. The manufacturers wouldn't have adopted this dual rail supply setup for no reason if there HAD been a better solution. Ok, our hack-happy community out there really enjoys hacking stuff and might be able to come up with something

When it comes to junk, unfortunately we don't have any place where you can "dumpster-dive" around here, however we have something that comes fairly close, it's like a flea-market or swap-meet: think I mentioned this before somewhere before but the idea's there's a whole bunch of people who gather in this purposely-organized place and they bring any junk/stolen stuff they no longer need and/or want to get rid of. There's no rules and no regulations: sometimes you get a guy who barely speaks the language who gives away practically new stuff for free, while other times you get a chap who's selling junk for outrageous prices. Negotiating is highly encouraged obviously and sometimes you're able to score bargains, especially since most of these people often have no idea what they're selling and what that stuff normally goes for, like tablets, phones and so on....
                                Last edited by Dannyx; 02-08-2018, 06:38 AM. Reason: Added details
                                Wattevah...

Comment

yes, car-boot sales.
                                  we have those every sunday morning!

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyx View Post
                                    To the right of that there's that 4-pin connector connecting the two boards together which is like a "data" connector which carries the V and I sense (ok, data is an overstatement but you get the point). You can't see it in the pictures I took, but just underneath the plastic connector is the pinout of that connector, as follows: V, I, GND and 5V (not sure about the order though), so yes, there IS a common GND going between the two and I'm also quite positive the schematic I drew is correct in this regard.
                                    There can't be a common ground at this part of the schematic - this breaks isolation. If there was a link, then your hack using the center tap should have worked. Not only that, it would have been cheaper to simply put a larger heatsink on the 7805 (or bolt it on the case) and draw power off of the main winding if isolation wasn't needed.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                                      There can't be a common ground at this part of the schematic - this breaks isolation. If there was a link, then your hack using the center tap should have worked. Not only that, it would have been cheaper to simply put a larger heatsink on the 7805 (or bolt it on the case) and draw power off of the main winding if isolation wasn't needed.
                                      I however disagree and insist one of those wires is GND, further backed up by the silk screen I mentioned and a continuity reading. I shall open it up once again and snap some pictures - my mate uses it as it is at the moment....this is getting very strange
                                      Wattevah...

Comment

Meter Bottom side board layout.
                                        Attached Files
                                        Never stop learning
                                        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Yes, upon first glance that appears to be correct.
                                          Wattevah...

Comment

Working...
                                          X