Success story! ASRock K7VM4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Success story! ASRock K7VM4

Ok so I found a computer on the side of the road during a hard rubbish collection in the local area. Its an ASRock K7VM4 with AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton core). It would boot OK sometimes, but other times it would present lovely BSOD. Furthermore it wouldn't post at all with 2GB of DDR 400 installed.

I noticed the x3 caps around the CPU were partly expanded "KZG" brand. Got the Nichicons [edit] replacements from badcaps and proceeded with the removal and install. Went fine! First time doing a motherboard (practised a little on a junk one). Just had to ignore the circuit diagram printed on the board as the shaded side was NOT negative!

System boots with no issue now, and I can install the 2GB of ram without issue.

Last edited by Mr1AV; 12-30-2011, 02:56 AM. Reason: Cap Brand name

Re: Success story! ASRock K7VM4

Those are not Rubycon replacements you got, those are Nichicons. Also very good caps.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Thanks. Edited the correction

Comment

Looks good, although those other smaller caps could give you trouble in the near future.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I thought so too, though the board is too early to have KZJ, and the color is wrong for TMV/TMZ/TMJ (And too early for those too), and the color is wrong for any other UCC series. So I'm also curious what the small caps are.
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

It says "TMZ" on all the small ones..

Comment

Mr1AV - you need to replace those too.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                I thought so too, though the board is too early to have KZJ, and the color is wrong for TMV/TMZ/TMJ (And too early for those too), and the color is wrong for any other UCC series. So I'm also curious what the small caps are.
                I've come across TMZ dated July 2003.
                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

Originally posted by Mr1AV View Post
                  It says "TMZ" on all the small ones..
                  Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                  Mr1AV - you need to replace those too.
                  Yes

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

Nice job! Looks better than my soldering

Comment

Are the TMZ caps known for failing with bulging tops or going bad without physically showing? All 11 of these are 6.3V 1000uF.
                      What would be the ideal series replacement?

There are also x4 "KZE" 1500uF. Are these a bad series too?

Comment

KZE are good. I've actually used them to replace KZG and they work okay.
                        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Are the TMZ caps known for failing with bulging tops or going bad without physically showing?
                          TMZ, KZG, and KZE are all made by Nippon Chemi-con. They are a good japanese manufacturer, but have problems with the KZG, KZJ and TM_ series. KZE, KY and the others are all fine. To rplace them TMZ caps, use https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=165 (Nichicon HN)

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Thanks for that info! I'm sure I will get round to replacing those caps soon.

There is still some issue with two sticks of 1GB DDR400 on the mobo (max capacity). Even swapping the sticks around from DIMM 1 and DIMM 2 causes an issue "PFN list corrupt" blue screen after about 15 mins. Running either dimm alone works fine (1GB). It seems there were other issues with these boards and memory compatibility so i guess i'll find out if its caps or bios in due course.

I'm trying to find a suitable place locally in Australia and found RS components http://australia.rs-online.com/web/

I'm not sure which is best in the 6.3V 1000uF range:

Panasonic FM: http://australia.rs-online.com/web/p/aluminium/5260932/
                            Panasonic FK: http://australia.rs-online.com/web/p/aluminium/0571117/
                            Nichicon HE: http://australia.rs-online.com/web/p/aluminium/4909462/
                            Nichicon UPA0J102MPD: http://australia.rs-online.com/web/p/aluminium/0541706/
                            Rubycon YXF: http://australia.rs-online.com/web/p/aluminium/2244101/
                            Rubycon ZL: http://australia.rs-online.com/web/p/aluminium/7037208/

Is "Lifetime" the best indication when selecting the series?

Thanks for the assistance

Comment

The Lifetime you see isn't an estimate of the cap's lifetime.
                              The proper/full name is Endurance Lifetime. [Some call it Load Life.]
                              Basically it's how long you can abuse the snot out of it and -not- have anything go out of spec.
                              Might last 1 week or 25 years after the test. [They don't even guess.]
                              - IOW: Ignore the 'Lifetime'.
                              It's not useful info unless your application seriously stretches the cap's rating limits.
                              Other than Volts and uF
                              #1 = ESR [You want the same or lesss]
                              #2 = Ripple [You want the same or more.]

Remember the voltage rating is a limit on the cap, not a target circuit voltage.
                              Actual circuit voltage just has to be less than the cap's voltage limit.

TMZ has pretty low ESR.
                              Of those you listed FM is best choice to replace TMZ.
                              FR should also be good if they have some.

10v caps can also replace 6.3v caps just fine so that may give you more options.
                              ON MOTHERBOARDS.
                              6.3v caps can replace 10v caps too. [Works both ways.]
                              ~ The Mobo voltages are 12v or 5v or less.
                              ~ A 12v circuit would have cap's rated for 16v or more.
                              ~ Neither 6.3v nor 10v would be used on a 12v circuit.
                              That means if the original cap is either 6.3v or 10v then actual circuit voltage is 5v or less - so either 6.3v or 10v caps will work fine.
                              ~
                              Other than this special case where we already know the voltages, don't lower an original cap's voltage unless you know [check] the voltage in the circuit.

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

use http://au.element14.com/nichicon/uhm...10v/dp/1823803. RS don't have anything good enough to replace the TMZ. FM is the closest in that list, but Nichicon HM would be better again.

Comment

Agree that HM would be better. Or Sanyo [Suncon] WG or Rubycon MBZ.
                                  Based response on where OP was evidently looking to buy.
                                  If OP is stuck with RS then FM is the best choice.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

Ok so I found a computer on the side of the road during a hard rubbish collection in the local area. Its an ASRock K7VM4

Just had to ignore the circuit diagram printed on the board as the shaded side was NOT negative!
                                    Yes, you must watch out for that especially with devices from Asus and ASRock (A Spin-off from Asus)
                                    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                    X